June 2011 - What fantasy book are you reading?

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I have missed you! in fact when i saw the last post was from afa .. my first thought was .. ah cool welcome back! you list is long. Glen cook wrote the black company trilogy, and that's all i've read of his. it was really good, really solid writing. Kinda like Abercrombie but not funny. Way of Kings is the best book i've read all year .. just putting it out there.

i've had exams and have been lvling my lock on Wow, so i've done very little reading, which is good, because now im looking forward to finishing off whatever Dresden book im up to instead of thinking .. omg when will this books end!!!

*for those that have finished them .. Keizer?? does nything happen?? i'm reading them because im interested in Dresden and his life (aside the moaning about not having 'got some' in ages) but if nothing significant happens it's a bit boring, because every book is much the same.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Really? I had no idea Sanderson was working on another Mistborn novel. [Runs to Wikipedia to check.] Yup, looks like he is and it will be called The Alloy of Law. Apparently it takes place 300 years after the events of the trilogy. I can't wait. I thought Mistborn was excellent. And so were Warbreaker and -- to a slightly lesser extent -- Elantris. I also love what he has done with The Wheel of Time. A truly great writer.

Sanderson, in fact, has quickly vaulted to near the top of my favourite fantasy authors list, right alongside Joe Abercrombie and the newly inducted George R.R. Martin. Speaking of GRRM, I just finished the fourth book in ASoIaF. I only started reading the first after a couple of episodes of Game of Thrones were out, so I've read them all back-to-back in fairly quick succession. And I have to say - a terrific series. A very different sort of fantasy, as well, focusing far more on political machinations and intrigue than any of the common fantasy elements, like magic or even war.

Oh, and by the way... Hi! Been a while...
Welcome back dude! I've already pre-ordered my copy of The Alloy of Law. Not fussed that he isn't righting the sequel to Way of Kings as I already know that series is at least 15 years before it gets completed.

GRRM, Sanderson and Abercrombie are definitely my 3 favourite writers right now

afa

Journeyed there and back again
Thanks guys. Good to be back. I've been pretty busy last several months since I got a new job, and have basically stopped 'forumming'. But I intend to make some time for it in the future. Let's see how that works out...

im looking forward to finishing off whatever Dresden book im up to instead of thinking .. omg when will this books end!!!
I haven't read a single Dresden book (which kinda contradicts my posts status...) but have heard some good things. Should probably get into it one of these days...

Not fussed that he isn't righting the sequel to Way of Kings as I already know that series is at least 15 years before it gets completed.
Yeah, it's gonna be a while. It's supposed to be, what, 10 books long? That's gonna be his magnum opus, looks like. Although, who knows? With Sanderson's ability to write at an incredibly prolific pace, he might finish 10 books in less time than it has taken GRRM to release his fifth.

Let's take a look at his track record - since debuting in 2005 he has, in the five years till 2010, written two stand-alones (Elantris and Warbreaker), the Mistborn trilogy, four Alcatraz books, two of the final three books in The Wheel of Time, and The Way of Kings. That's a remarkable 12 books in five years! Add in the fact that the fourth Mistborn is coming out this year, and that he is finished with the first draft of A Memory of Light and is also working on another stand-alone (both of these are expected next year), and the guys output is staggering. How on Earth can a guy write so much, and still have the finished product be of the high quality that it is? Amazing.

I personally like Abercrombie's books more, but I have a ton of respect for Sanderson.

Dale

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Yeah, welcome back to the forums afa.

I think we're all agreed that Sanderson is one of the best out there - in terms of quality and the time he takes. If you like Mistborn, you'll definitely love The Way of Kings. He just takes things to a whole other level with that one.

Anyway, I've finally gotten round to reading The First Law trilogy by Abercrombie. I'm about 300 pages through it and it's going pretty well. The characters are quite interesting but I'm finding the main story kinda uninspired at the moment. No doubt things will pick up, it generally takes me a while to really get into a series.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
and that he is finished with the first draft of A Memory of Light ...
He's nowhere near done with the first draft of AMoL. His website says he's at 12% progress made on the first draft. He' still working on the re-read before he wraps up writing, and he's only at 33% of the re-read. However, the book is supposedly going to be released in March next year, so he's still got a breakneck pace if he wants to finish in time. He'll be done with the Way of Kings series before ASoIAF book 6 comes out if GRRM keeps his pace up though.

afa

Whoops! You're right.

I saw the bar above A Memory of Light, and didn't realise that it didn't refer to that. The 100% is actually his status of the final revision of The Alloy of Time.

Thanks for making me look like a fool, l3gacy. Happy, are you?

Dresden

I have missed you! in fact when i saw the last post was from afa .. my first thought was .. ah cool welcome back! you list is long. Glen cook wrote the black company trilogy, and that's all i've read of his. it was really good, really solid writing. Kinda like Abercrombie but not funny. Way of Kings is the best book i've read all year .. just putting it out there.

i've had exams and have been lvling my lock on Wow, so i've done very little reading, which is good, because now im looking forward to finishing off whatever Dresden book im up to instead of thinking .. omg when will this books end!!!

*for those that have finished them .. Keizer?? does nything happen?? i'm reading them because im interested in Dresden and his life (aside the moaning about not having 'got some' in ages) but if nothing significant happens it's a bit boring, because every book is much the same.
It's been awhile since I read the last one, but his life continues to move forward and there is a major life change at the end of the last one. Most of the books are kind of formulaic - he gets in an impossible situation and then fights his way out and some of the lessor characters die or get hurt (like Star Trek - the ensign is going to bite it, but Captain Kirk isn't). Think of those books as comic books, you know Spider-man is never going to die fighting a villain, but his continuing adventures are fun. Ironically, I think Butcher used to write for Spider-man.

Dale

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
So it's Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie for me as I've just this minute finished The Blade Itself. As with my usual post I found the characters funny, interesting and morally ambigious; for some reason though the book didn't grip me as strongly as Mistborn or The Lies of Locke Lamora, for instance. It's really hard to put my finger on the reason why, but I feel like there's a lack of originality in regards to the story.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book and the ending set up the sequel really well - lots of questions, loose threads etc. I'll definitely be reading the second book; I always feel compelled to finish something that I start.

afa

It's really hard to put my finger on the reason why, but I feel like there's a lack of originality in regards to the story.
That's surprising. Abercrombie's original take on Fantasy stereotypes is exactly what made him famous to begin with.

For my reading, I've decided to start with Lord Foul's Bane, the first book in The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever*. I'm about a hundred or so pages in; Donaldson's writing style is** quite different from what I'm used to, but so far the book is keeping me interested.

* Now that's a mouthful of a series title.
** Or 'was'... this book is quite old, after all.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
hey hey i churned through the next dresden book. its good, nothing wrong with it, its like eating spaghetti when i want tortellini. The are both pasta (books), but one is clearly going to satisfy AND sustain me. damn it ... now im going to go make tortellini for dinner.

afa

According to my friend the series goes downhill after the first 3
That doesn't surprise me. I fully expect any series to go down unless it was deliberately and originally planned as X number of books. Once you start adding books just because "there's more!" I can imagine it would start to get annoying.

In any case, my plan for Thomas Covenant had always been to read the original trilogy. The rest I intend to play it by ear. Unless I hear enough good things about them, I will likely stop after the first chronicles.

Fevre Dream

I am getting close to finishing Fevre Dream. I would say it's good not great. I know it's not popular to say, but I enjoyed the Twilight series much better than this book.

The premise was very good, but the delivery could have been better. The action is few and far between and there aren't really any characters you can grow close to. There is a long stretch between the climax of the book and the ending (which I am reading now) that is almost wasted space.

I would say read it, but don't have high expectations for a great book.

Very minor spoiler below - doesn't give away any plot, but speaks vaguely to the nature of the vampires.
(Sorry I forgot the mouse over trick)
Early on Martin describes the vampires as not being supernatural at all, but rather a separate species. He then gives them multiple unexplained or poorly explained supernatural abilities and weaknesses. That really didn't work for me, but it didn't ruin the book either.

afa

I am getting close to finishing Fevre Dream. I would say it's good not great. I know it's not popular to say, but I enjoyed the Twilight series much better than this book.
Woah, woah!

Easy there with the Twilight praise. You keep that up and I might have to leave again!

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Yeah, even admitting you read the series in the first place is very solid evidence towards taking away your man card.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
so that means i get to stay yea?? coz its fine for a girl to like it? anyway! after my devastating realisation about the last book in the dresden files i was yet to read (Changes). im over it (ty Dale) i'm going to read the completed books in the aSoIaF. i've read the first ... i think the second.. ah i got no idea. so im just going to start with A Clash of Kings and see what happens.

and Keizer ... don't let them be mean to you. as for elliot, yea i miss discussing books and feeling like i have to sound like im in one of his Literature classes. It was good for helping to keep my brain working.

A new idea!! L3gacy i want to read all the books that relate to the tag line thingys. do u have a list?

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Sure, give me a few hours, I'll try to get the list together this evening.