June 2011 - What fantasy book are you reading?

Yeah, even admitting you read the series in the first place is very solid evidence towards taking away your man card.
No worries I've got lots of those cards. I read the Twilight series with my nieces, and if you look at the book from their world view it's really quite good. One of the books was pretty awful, I can't remember which one - the one where she breaks up with the vampire and pines for 100 pages (but if you can recall you're first boyfriend or girlfriend you probably felt the same way when you broke up), but the series as a whole was really good IMO. As for other popular kids series, I liked the Harry Potter series a lot too, but you have all probably read those. I thought The Lighting Thief was a little too juvenile. It's not fantasy, but the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books are pretty funny.

As for other vampire books I've read a few Anne Rice books, and the movies are actually better than the books. Her books are really unnecessarily wordy and overly descriptive. If you really want to have a plantation house described to you in every minute detail she is the way to go. The Sookie Stackhouse books are really light reads and are not bad time fillers. You aren't going to be doing any thinking reading those which is nice sometimes when you're tired. You can knock one of those books out in a few days. I know I have read more vampire books, but I can't recall any right now. I started reading a best seller called The Historian once, but I gave up about 150 pages in as utterly boring. I saw Salem's Lot as a young kid and it scared the hell out of me. I don't really like straight horror movies or books, even though they don't scare me anymore.

afa

Journeyed there and back again
and Keizer ... don't let them be mean to you.
We're not being mean. Just pointing out that admitting to reading Twilight is a devastatingly embarrassing admission, and one that should force him to live out the rest of the year isolated from civilised society so he can think on all the evils he has committed in his life and hope and pray that he comes out of this a better man.

Now if you wanna call that being mean to him, then I don't know what to tell you. ;)

(but if you can recall you're first boyfriend or girlfriend you probably felt the same way when you broke up)
I didn't. Though I did feel bad for her. I guess, in retrospect, it wasn't very nice of me to break up with her on her birthday (which was also our 1-year anniversary) in a room full of our friends. And I probably shouldn't have exacerbated the situation by asking her best friend out later that evening. (Although in my defense, I only did that because her sister said "No".)

Maybe she feels mopey, in which case I suppose she might be a Twilight fan, too. I wonder if that's what Keizer meant...

Keizer, I've actually read the Anne Rice novels, too. Five or six of them, I can't remember. They actually started out okay, and Lestat was an intriguing character. But the later books just became unbearable. Way too much moping, way too many 'flashbacks', and far too much homoerotica.

B81

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
A Clash of Kings
Its my (late) asoiaf reread. Game of thrones was good, but it felt like reading it for the 3rd time cause I just finished the tv series.

Dale

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I didn't. Though I did feel bad for her. I guess, in retrospect, it wasn't very nice of me to break up with her on her birthday (which was also our 1-year anniversary) in a room full of our friends. And I probably shouldn't have exacerbated the situation by asking her best friend out later that evening. (Although in my defense, I only did that because her sister said "No".)
That sounds very much like a scene out of How I Met Your Mother. You didn't happen to break up with her over the phone via voice message did you?

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
back on topic guys! i'm reading The darkness that comes before .. but i've read it, i remember what im reading, im pretty sure i gave up on it, but i'm liking it so i'll keep going.

afa

Journeyed there and back again
That sounds very much like a scene out of How I Met Your Mother. You didn't happen to break up with her over the phone via voice message did you?
Hehe... no, Dale. I'm not that technologically advanced.

It was a postcard, timed so as to be delivered precisely on her birthday in front of people.

But, as Danica said, back on topic. Um... I'm still reading Lord Foul's Bane.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
So, off topic, but I finished Well of Ascension, mistborn book 2. On to Hero of Ages.

Also am about 30 chapters in to Proven Guilty audio book, so I'm catching up to Danica as this is the book where Butcher/Dresden describes 17 year old Molly Carpenter's body (particularly her pierced nipples) in excessive detail. Will have Proven Guilty done by probably Wednesday.

I just finished reading the second book in the Ruin series by Isobel Noble. Has anyone else read this post-apocalyptic fantasy series? Anyhow, I enjoyed the first two books very much and I am commencing the third book now. Here is a blurb from the author's website
RUIN is the epic story of Deke’s quest for personal redemption as he strives, with his people and Beori’s, to defeat these deadly, emotional succubi and set the Earth and humanity on a life-affirming path into the future.