June 2015 - What fantasy books were we reading?

afa

Journeyed there and back again
Still reading The Soul Smith. Haven't been getting too much reading time lately, but squeezing it in whenever I can.

Decent book so far, though we're still in the 'setting things up' phase. One problem I've noticed - the author has a tendency to shift POVs in the narrative. On multiple occasions there were scenes which were narrated from the POV of Character X, and then the next paragraph will suddenly include the thoughts of another character. In one scene, I noticed three POV shifts in 2 pages!

While the author is a self-published writer, the book is supposed to have been edited by a professional, so I'm surprised things like this went through.

ofer

Like Afa, I'm also reading a self-published book at the moment. All the over the top badass characters in the fantasy tournament thread (Karsa, Logen, Jaime) got to me, so I started As Flies to Wanton Boys, the second book by Allan Batchelder. It's fun so far.

Reakon

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
just finishing off Hammered (Iron Druid #3) audiobook. Very fun and enjoyable, not sure I find Oberon as funny as others though. It gets better with each novel, but I think I prefer Dresden, It has more of an edge to the action/danger, and the humour is better suited for me. It could be the execution from the narrators that are making me think this way though...

kenubrion

Like Afa, I'm also reading a self-published book at the moment. All the over the top badass characters in the fantasy tournament thread (Karsa, Logen, Jaime) got to me, so I started As Flies to Wanton Boys, the second book by Allan Batchelder. It's fun so far.
After reading As Flies To Wanton Boys, I decided that Tarmun Vykers would send Karsa and Logen running home crying for their mommies.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!!

I started Dune on audio. Damn this is a good book. Great writing and the cast (yes I say cast) of the audiobook is unbelievable, 7 or 8 people probably, subtle sound effects and great narration. Probably one of the best audiobooks I have ever read listened to.
I'm probably somewhere around 25% in and it's very addicting. I know it's a sci-fi but so far it reads like a fantasy in space. Here's an audible link. I would highly recommend you "read" it like this if you haven't already. This production is so good it's mind blowing.

Griffin

The Last Wish
This collection of short stories about the witcher Geralt is clad upon a main story arc. Both that arc and the individual stories are fun, witty and innovative. Sapkowski created a nice cast of characters all of whom rise above cardboard level. There are hints about a troubled history but that remains to be disclosed. Although there are Elfs and Dwarfs in these books, they don't take away the fame from the more imaginative monsters and creatures. The feeling remains that most of the world, creatures and characters are yet to be discovered which makes me look forward to another plunge into these books. I rate The Last Wish 3,5-4 stars.

I'll probably start Uprooted by Naomi Novik later today.

Reakon

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!!

I started Dune on audio. Damn this is a good book. Great writing and the cast (yes I say cast) of the audiobook is unbelievable, 7 or 8 people probably, subtle sound effects and great narration. Probably one of the best audiobooks I have ever read listened to.
I'm probably somewhere around 25% in and it's very addicting. I know it's a sci-fi but so far it reads like a fantasy in space. Here's an audible link. I would highly recommend you "read" it like this if you haven't already. This production is so good it's mind blowing.
Thanks - I have only read a couple of audiobooks with full casts. One of which was excellent - His Dark Materials by Phil Pullman, and the other which was just fine - Ender's Game. I liked the story of Ender's Game, it just wasn't really added to by the production

Dune has been on my wishlist for a while though, you may have tipped me over the edge...

Sir Arthur

I loved Dune. I definitely think of it as a fantasy book. One of my all time favorites regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
@Alucard Dune is a fantasy book in my opinion, similar to how Star Wars is more a fantasy series than a sci-fi series. Happy to hear you're enjoying it. It's one of my favorite books. Pro-tip: if you must read the sequels, just read the ones written by Herbert himself. The others suck donkey-balls.

Does anyone here like a spiritual fantasy adventure novel?
I am in the process of publishing my novel: The Traveller - A World Beyond.
If you are after new reading material, I would love it if you popped over to Britain's Next Best Seller and checked out my book!
Search my name: Luscombe!
There is fantasy art of my own creation within my promo video. I hope you like what you see, and help me get a publishing deal - where YOUR NAME goes in every copy printed!

THANK YOU!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Does anyone here like a spiritual fantasy adventure novel?
I am in the process of publishing my novel: The Traveller - A World Beyond.
If you are after new reading material, I would love it if you popped over to Britain's Next Best Seller and checked out my book!
Search my name: Luscombe!
There is fantasy art of my own creation within my promo video. I hope you like what you see, and help me get a publishing deal - where YOUR NAME goes in every copy printed!

THANK YOU!
Please confine self-promotion to the "Fantasy Authors" section of the forums.

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
Gah. I bailed on Dune. Couldn't stand it. :p

Listening to Tigana, which is awesome, and still slowly reading Legend around my classic lit book club selection for work (Woman in White by Wilkie Collins).

Please confine self-promotion to the "Fantasy Authors" section of the forums.
Totally sorry, I am new to the world of forums, and in my final minutes at work, panic-posted in the wrong place. It won't happen again.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction for self-promotion.
Not wanting to did the hole any deeper, but I have a limited time to promote myself to prove my book is publishable, hence the panic! Panic is the worst thing to do, I advise against it.

In light of the forum topic, I enjoyed reading The Lord of the Rings!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gah. I bailed on Dune. Couldn't stand it. :p

Listening to Tigana, which is awesome, and still slowly reading Legend around my classic lit book club selection for work (Woman in White by Wilkie Collins).
And I'm glad you enjoyed Tigana - I found it such a wonderful story - definitely one of the best standalones I've read!

I'm listening to A Song for Arbonne at the moment. Not becoming as engrossed as I ended up being with Tigana, and there are some very similar characters, but it's ok so far. I don't like the narrator nearly as much as I did Simon Vance.

GreyMouser

After seeing them on like a hundred fantasy lists, I'm finally reading my first Dresden book, Storm Front.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
The Sword of Destiny. I am enjoying these, I think I will like them better when they start being books and stop being mini stories. But I have been sick and The Last Wish was easy to read and so is this one so I will keep drinking tea and reading them under a blanket next to the heater because golly gosh darn it, it's cold here.