June 2015 - What fantasy books were we reading?

Fantam

Journeyed there and back again
Just finished The Grim Company by Luke Scull, and really enjoyed the story and characters, so am looking forward to reading Sword of the North.

I am now going to start Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards, which is his 1st book in the Bloodsounder's Arc.

It has a nice cover and is quite short at 253 pages, so I decided to move it to the top of my TBR list. :)

sopranosfan

It's been a while since I got to check in, been busy lately. I have been listening to Dead Beat and I am definitely enjoying the world Butcher has built.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I am finished with The Sword of Destiny and I am moving onwards and upwards to Blood of Elves!
How did you find SoD compared to The Last Wish?
I personally liked it more but I would love to hear your opinion.

Ser Pounce

Still reading The Grace of Kings. Been sick for the past week so I haven't read it as much as I'd like. Have about 200 pages left. Then I plan to move onto Blood Song & Tower Lord.

kenubrion

Reading Shadowmarch. I swore I wasn't going to read anything else by Tad Williams after laboring through the Memory Sorrow Thorn bore-fest, but it's not bad. Going back and forth between this and Revelation Space.

Reakon

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Was struggling with bleak seasons (black company #7) on audiobook. Nothing was happening and the narrator is really slow, so I made a start on Maze Runner. Very derivative so far. Bit of hunger games meets Cube (that awesome Sci Fi film). I'm enjoying it. Very easy going

Griffin

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

This book felt like a traditional fantasy book crossed over with a old (albeit slightly darker and Grimm-esque) folk tale. I liked the themes and the structure of the book (training in the tower/capital/battle+resolution). The characters are good, but I didn't like how the Dragon was written in the first part of the book. Even when his behaviour was explained later on I didn't believe he should have been portrayed. Despite being an important character I've found him one of the least interesting, also didn't really like the love thing in this book. Kasia was another character I've made no big connection with. Other than that, good prose and interesting all the way through. I give this book 3.75 stars (7,5/10).

Also, you read this interesting article (click on title):
Warner Bros and Ellen DeGeneres to Adapt Naomi Novik’s Uprooted

Last edited:

Cyphon

Reading the Alcatraz stuff from Sanderson and recently finished Elantris which was my first time on that. There isn't much from Sanderson I haven't read at this point and he has never once had a book I can flat out say that I don't like. Elantris isn't my favorite but was definitely interesting and Alcatraz is one of the more annoying books as far as the viewpoint goes and how it was presented but the actual plot and details were still entertaining. Have 3 more books in the Alcatraz series to read.

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Half a King!

Awesome!
Just finished it in a few hours. And you know, I just realized that I should probably be posting these things here. As I said in my topic:

Alright, so I finished the book. in less than 4 hours too, yay. Although I did end up skimming the third of 4 parts. It was decent I guess. Went by real fast, and the first and last 25% were...eh enjoyable enough I guess. If the book was longer however, and I didn't skim what I skimmed, I'd have hated the book. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible, it's just that in focused too much on themes that I think get old really really fast. You see, I really don't enjoy...

reading something when it focuses almost entirely characters in prisons. Yeah, technically they were slaves, not prisoners, but it still has the same feeling, and when you're gonna devote about 25% of your book to that with next to no breaks in between, you've fucking burnt me out. And maybe you're thinking about how a lot of the Shadow's Edge was set in a prison. Well first of all, that book is so fucking good that those scenes were beyond entertaining. Second of all, it wasn't all given you at once. Anyways, I probably would have read the entire book in one sitting if it weren't for this going on for so long...or I thought, because then we're stuck with something I fucking despise even more. Being lost in the middle of nowhere. This situation almost always turns me off right away, and I got sick of it after about 10 pages.

Again though, the book didn't do anything wrong perse, my issues with it are just pet peeves of mine.

Again, decent book I guess.

As for right now, I feel like reading a random impulse book.
The Novice: Summoner Book One.

Wonder if anyone else here has read it.

Edit: Ok, dropped it at around 161 pages in, with 41% finished. It's fucking lame. Had some decent scenes here and there, but none of the characters are very interesting. The villains are puppy kickers in a very very unfunny comic relief sort of way. The heroes are very boring and borderline annoying outside of their own concepts(which was what kept me going for as long as I did.), and dare I say something that rarely bothers me....they came off as generic.

Here's a tip authors. When you have ME complaining about generic characters, you've done something very very wrong, because I'm very easy to pander to.

I should also say that most of what came after the first 25% of the book felt like it didn't even need to be there. Nice job doing that with only a 400 page book!

Last edited:

Reakon

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Reading the Alcatraz stuff from Sanderson and recently finished Elantris which was my first time on that. There isn't much from Sanderson I haven't read at this point and he has never once had a book I can flat out say that I don't like. Elantris isn't my favorite but was definitely interesting and Alcatraz is one of the more annoying books as far as the viewpoint goes and how it was presented but the actual plot and details were still entertaining. Have 3 more books in the Alcatraz series to read.
I think the end of elantris helped with my enjoyment. The battle was really entertaining. It just took so damn long to get there

I haven't tried the Alcatraz books, I was worried they would be too childish. Are they aimed at the same audience as harry potter? (which I actually enjoyed...)

GreyMouser

Halfway into Fool Moon.

These books are awesome.