June 2015 - What fantasy books were we reading?

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
Wouldn't you say these ones are 'safe' ? Have you read any of these?
Read 'em all. They go downhill somewhat. The first three (thru Children of Dune) make a reasonably coherent story, fairly entertaining, but 2 and 3 are not as good as the original. I don't think he actually meant the three to be a trilogy, probably when it turned out to be a success (of sorts), he decided to keep going (this does happen...). After that there is a bizarre transition novel, God Emperor of Dune (I cannot summarize the plot in even a single sentence without a spoiler), and then the last two go together in a pair. These last three (from God Emperor on) kind of drag, in my opinion: lots of characters standing around philosophizing, action comes slowly to a halt. Gets boring. Having said that, the last one eventually comes to a fairly clear ending that was probably intended to end the whole series (I think the next generation of books are mostly prequels, but I've never read them).

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I think you are right there. Geralt's mood goes progressively darker as books go on. For a good reason though. These are dark books ahead.
That is not what I want to hear :( Also I am not really enjoying Bloofd of Elves. I think it is mostly the change of pace from fast snappy stories to a long one, also the different view points, I'm getting bored.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
That is not what I want to hear :( Also I am not really enjoying Bloofd of Elves. I think it is mostly the change of pace from fast snappy stories to a long one, also the different view points, I'm getting bored.
Sorry to hear that. Witcher books are pretty dark, that world is dark (gamers know this) so if you aren't into dark fantasy you most certainly won't like it. It's not that the world is gritty like with Abercrombie, it's more on the brutal and dark side. I personally love dark fantasy mix with sword and sorcery, but I realize not everyone does. Still, these books do have that epic quality to them. The lore itself is off the charts with complexity and variety not seen in books by anglophone writers (by me anyway). The closest that comes to this is Erikson's lore in my mind, he definitely has a bigger scope than Sapkowski, but they are kind of different as well. I'm sorry I can't explain it well. :sorry:

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Apparently she's signed a movie deal as well

Torack

A farm boy with a sword
I've been hearing lots of good things from Malazan and decided to give it a try! I'm currently reading Memories of Ice, and I'm kind of starting to understand the setting and the magic, though I'm still largely confused. The books are still wonderful, however!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been hearing lots of good things from Malazan and decided to give it a try! I'm currently reading Memories of Ice, and I'm kind of starting to understand the setting and the magic, though I'm still largely confused. The books are still wonderful, however!
Hello, and welcome to the forum! We've got quite a few Malazan fans here, I'm sure if you have any questions you'll find an answer!
There are lots of Malazan threads over in the bookclub section, in case you're interested :) http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/forums/book-club.10/ I think another member ( @Bethan ) is also reading Memories of Ice at the mo, or just finished, can't remember which ...

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Hi Torack, and welcome. Not sure which book, a bit farther than Memories of Ice, where you finally get the whole story leading up to the starting point of the books. Obviously a lot went on before Gardens of the Moon.

Fantam

Hi Torack, and welcome. Not sure which book, a bit farther than Memories of Ice, where you finally get the whole story leading up to the starting point of the books. Obviously a lot went on before Gardens of the Moon.
I haven't finished reading all the Malazan books yet, but I remember that Esselmont's first book "Night of Knives" gave some of the background before Erikson's first book "Gardens of the Moon".

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
About 200 pages in Dan Simmons,flashback. I'm fighting with this book and its doomsayer plot,but will push through it. Interesting take on politics,even if I disagree most of the time

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Started Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear. This is my first book by this author. 50 pages in and the setting is in Seattle in the late 19th century. I didn't even know it's Seattle until I read the synopsis, because the town is called Rapid City. It's very steampunkish as far as technology goes, so you have steam operated ships, sewing machines, and all other kinds of gadgets. It's time of the gold rush and the main characters are the whores of the whore house called Hôtel Mon Cherie. The book is written in kind of a way that's not exactly standard English, but I'm suspecting it corresponds with the way they would talk back then.
The first paragraph of this book just sucked me right in that atmosphere:

“You ain’t gonna like what I have to tell you, but I’m gonna tell you anyway. See, my name is Karen Memery, like memory only spelt with an e, and I’m one of the girls what works in the Hôtel Mon Cherie on Amity Street. Hôtel has a little hat over the o like that. It’s French, so Beatrice tells me.”

The cover is gorgeous.

It's fast paced so far. Looks promising.

ofer

About 200 pages in Dan Simmons,flashback. I'm fighting with this book and its doomsayer plot,but will push through it. Interesting take on politics,even if I disagree most of the time
I thought that Simmons could have toned down the politics in the book. Most of it served no purpose beyond the initial set-up of the plot. Simmons later denied that the book reflects his political opinions: http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2011_06.htm (may or may not contain spoilers, I didn't read all of it, it's very TL;DR) and as far as I know, he's not really right-winged or left-winged, but more of a middle of the road in his political view.

Despite of that, I still thought the book was written well and quite a page-turner.

sopranosfan

I just finished listening to Dead Beat and have to agree with most that the books just keeping better. I will start listening to my last audio Dresden book before switching over to reading them. I will also start reading either Blood of Elves or Assassins Quest.

moonspawn

Been reading The Blade "fucking" Itself.

I thought that Simmons could have toned down the politics in the book. Most of it served no purpose beyond the initial set-up of the plot. Simmons later denied that the book reflects his political opinions: http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2011_06.htm (may or may not contain spoilers, I didn't read all of it, it's very TL;DR) and as far as I know, he's not really right-winged or left-winged, but more of a middle of the road in his political view.

Despite of that, I still thought the book was written well and quite a page-turner.
Simmons is a major left-winger or at least he was. Maybe he's changed since the 80's and early 90's, I don't know.