June 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Still reading some work-stuff. How about you guys? Reading fantasy?

2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Jesus it's already June. Where does this time go?! I feel like this has been the shortest year of my life.
    Anyway... I'm still on The Dark Tower.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Finished the excellent Uprooted yesterday and I am now well into Six of Crows, also very good so far. Leigh Bardugo is a talented author and wordsmith. I'm admiring her writing style as well as the story. I will be reading her debut Grisha trilogy after this and the sequel Crooked Kingdom.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Noor Al-Shanti

Noor Al-Shanti Stood on the wall with Druss

Just finished reading I am Number Four and it put me off YA for a while.
    I have a couple of books on hold at the library (Name of the Wind and An Ember in the Ashes) so I'm waiting to see if they arrive in the next couple of days otherwise I might go on Kobo and see what I can find.

5. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

The Heart of What Was Lost by Tad Williams. 20% in, very good so far.

6. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I'm still on American gods....ive made no progress. This is just a really boring cliche of a book so far...hopefully it will catch me by page 100

7. Alucard

I always say American Gods is a Gaiman's love letter to America and its intertwined and mixed history and mythology of different peoples that came to inhabit it. I'm no American yet if I was I would be flattered by it.
    It's far less on the scale of what Tolkien tried to do for England, trying to write its mythology in LotR, but to me Gaiman tried to do the same for USA (on a smaller scale). Reading this book, and all the real places he mentions, one feel like they are on a field trip through that great country of yours, but also it's kinda evident to me how much Gaiman really loves USA and its mythology.

8. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I'll keep plowing through. Expecting better. I'll hold judgement until the end, I'm only 70 pages in.

But so far I have seen zero American mythological stories. A dozen prison story cliches, one racial stereotype of an irishman in tge firm of the leprechaun, and two immortals whose role as American gods would be quite offensive (is that greed and vice?) To me an american god being greed would be as bad as an irish god being a potatoe.

Again I'm looking forward to it getting better, but so far I'm likely to hate it...if for nothing else then it's constant use of bad cliches

9. Alucard

70 pages is way too early to judge. I hope you can appreciate it by the end.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

195 pages to go in the final book of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. IMO, This series is so UNDERRATED it is criminal. Since Shadowmarch was ine of my all time favorite series I didn't think I could possibly like this even more. This book in particular has been fantastic. I will see what the last pages hold before I decide for sure which one I like better.'

If I can get a good deal on the book you are reading like you did in the UK then I will get it. I refuse to spend $12 on a 222 page book.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I need to read some more Gaiman one of these days. I liked American Gods but didn't love it. I also thought Neverwhere was just okay. After those two, I've never felt a pressing need to read more of his stuff, but since he's one of the biggest names out there, I'd like to see if there's something else of his that really works well for me.

12. TomTB

Read Stardust. It's an utterly beautiful book.

13. Jakyro

Jakyro Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I've about the same feelings about this book. The book started ok, and I kept on expecting an improvement, but it took some time before it came. The book kept on meandering untill over halfway, and when I almost quit, the story started to pick up again. I continued and luckily the ending was pretty good; for me personally it was the best part of the book. Originally I gave it a three star rating, but afterwards I changed it to a two star rating. It wasn't my kind of book I guess

• Like Like x 1
  14. Darth Tater

I felt the same way about Neverwhere (and his two short story collections). Am I the alone in thinking Ocean At The End Of The Lane was really good with the protaganist revisiting his past? There was something magical about it. Anansi Boys is in my Kindle library. If I'm lukewarm on that one I think maybe I'm done with Gaiman.

15. TomTB

Anansi Boys is much better than AG in my opinion. I guess it's a sequel of sorts, and was a definite improvement in my eyes ..

Have you read Stardust? I keep banging on about it but it's such a good book!

16. Darth Tater

I hear it's great. Ocean was a "fairy tale for adults" but isn't Stardust a "kids fairy tale adults love too"? Sorta like Coraline and Graveyard book (which aren't fairy tales)?

17. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Finished The Dragonbone Chair and started Stone of Farewell. Really loving this series.

18. TomTB

Dunno. Not read those. But Stardust left a huge smile on my face, hence my recommendation to all who'll listen :)

19. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Having enjoyed Six of Crows, I'm now reading Twelve Kings of Sharakhai and liking it a lot. I've always liked deserts and frozen wastes as fantasy settings, as the survivalist skills appeal to my outdoorsman side.

20. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I really enjoyed both of those books. I'm currently reading the second book of Beaulieu's series (as well as five other books. Yes, I'm crazy.)