June 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Jun 1, 2017.

1. E_F

E_F Knows how to pronounce Kvothe

About 25 % into Emperor of thorns, not too enthusiastic about it at the moment. Hopefully it will pick up towards the end. So far the broken empire trilogy has been good but nothing spectacular. I don't quite understand all the hype, and I don't really connect with any of the characters. Which might be the series biggest weakness in my opinion. But I might be blown away by an awesome ending, I don't know. Trying to keep an open mind.

2. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

I gave up on American Gods about 1/3 the way through. Feel the same way about the TV show. Just too weird.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

@TomTB

Wow. A very emotional ending to the final book of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. as you said. He wrapped it up beautifully touching on each character. Great series!! He wrapped it up much better than in Shadowmarch. I am looking forward to returning to Osten Ard sometime. The last book was loaded with action.

I guessed that they misinterpreted the sword thing. You knew Simon had some important blood in him but I incorrectly guessed he was Camaris' son. I also liked that the baddies suffered painful deaths.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

The biggest thing I remember about one of the bad guys in that series. A certain scene made me hate him so much all the way from the first book.

I still mourn that poor little puppy.

5. Darth Tater

Oh. I'm sure that was accidental. :lurking:

Two things bothered me.

I thought the entire blind Guthwulf thing was over the top. Like saving Simon and the whole tunnel part. I also felt the Storm King was defeated to easily. He surely had enogh power to jump in someone elses body or return the kings body back to life. After all he did, Simon's empathy wouldn't spoil his plans.

Regardless, I will TRY to wait until the sequel is finished before starting it. Does anybody know how many books are planned for that?

6. rudyjuly2

Finished book 10 of WOT. This is supposed to be the last of the slogs in the middle. This book was largely forgettable. The first 100 pages are with new secondary characters whose necessity has not been revealed. Then we get into the major characters but the Elayne and Egwene stories are boring, political snooze fests. There are some interesting sections but this has the weakest ending of any book in the series. Furthermore these last few books have done next to nothing to advance the overall plot, feeling more like a fantasy soap opera that hopes to live forever rather than actually work towards a conclusion. I'm looking forward to the next few books as hopefully meaningful things will happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I have only read a fantasy book over the last few weeks: Prince of Thorns by M Lawrence. I have enjoyed its promising beginning, then I thought it lost strength and originality half way through, only to rescue itself in the final part.
    My problem with Jorg is the fact that he is only 10 or 14 years old, depending on the timeline. I struggle to believe a child can be such a gray eminence with such a cynical attitude towards everything and everyone. These are traits of an old soul who have endured long years of innumerable sufferings, not a child not matter what.
    Jorg also seems to have a single mood setting: he is always angry or angrier. Therefore, I found his actions becoming rather predictable after a while as his lack of empathy towards others becomes the expected behaviour.
    However, the interesting developments at the end of the book reconciled me with Jorg and will then continue with the trilogy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Just finished Changes by Jim Butcher. Pretty sure this is the best of the series. Instead of reviewing though and since I am nearing the end of my re-read and everything is relatively fresh I had some questions I wanted to put out for everyone.
    1. Do you all think Toot Toot will eventually evolve into a major fairy player? Every time he pops up he is a couple of inches taller and seemingly gaining importance. If enough time passes I would assume he could have a major power jump. Possibly on part with a Knight?

2. What is the popular fan theory of who will be the final 2 Knights of the cross? (I can't remember if Murphy ever officially accepted in the last couple of books).

3. Do you think there is any chance we get enough of a time skip that Maggie gains/displays power and possibly has a showdown with Harry because he killed Susan?
    Can't think of any more but feel free to offer up other interesting ideas and points.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2017
  9. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I am reading some YA on my Kindle, now at Goldenhand by Garth Nix.

Still on The Seven by Peter Newman in paper (I order these from UK-based sellers because of the big lag in US publication date).

I've been reading a lot more this year than last year, just haven't much felt like talking about it for some reason. Think I'm just worn out from my job (have actually had to do some work recently), working out, taking care of chronically ill pets, and writing for this blog that is basically a second (part-time) job (I do get paid for it).

• Like Like x 1
  10. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Finished The Heart of What Was Lost by Tad Williams last night. This was a really great book, taking in viewpoints from both sides in an epic battle which follows more or less straight on from the conclusion of Memory Sorrow Thorn.

It's gotten me moist for the next trilogy in any case, which is the intention I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  11. paul james

paul james Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar

Nearing the end of The Scar by China Mieville. This is the fourth book of his I have read and all are so different.

12. rudyjuly2

I have read about 30% of book 11 of WOT. Its nice to actually want to read the series again. I find myself more interested, engaged and desiring to read the book. The slog appears to be over!

• Like Like x 3
  13. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

And just think, you've succeeded where so many before you failed. Well done, sir!

• Like Like x 1
  14. ofer

ofer Journeyed there and back again

Finished the Low Town trilogy by Daniel Polansky. Really enjoyed reading the books, which follow a former cop turned into a drug dealer in a city not unlike London 200 years ago, but with some magic. If you like grimdark, anti-heroes, noir detective stories and dark, sharp humor than this is the series for you. If you don't...well then it probably isn't.

Currently reading Drood by Dan Simmons and, to be honest, struggling with it. Picked up the book simply because it's a Simmons book, but after 40% I start to realize that I'm really not that interested in Charles Dickens marital life. At this point, the only thing that keeps me going is Simmons' prose and the vague hope that the mystery presented in the first chapter will get interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  15. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I just now finished Twelve Kings in Sharakhai and bought the sequel, With Blood Upon the Sand. Finally some actual good epic fantasy. Bradley P. Beaulieu is a very talented author.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I'm about to Finish, Sourcery ~Terry Pratchett
    (book 5, or Book 3 of Rincewind)

starts off good, maybe a 6 or 7. then something weird happens... I became extremely acutely aware at how cliché it is a joke to describe one sense by using descriptions of a different sense... like tasting colors, or seeing sounds, et cetera. I am so aware that I know it was already a cliché when this book came out, so its not even innovative.

often it seems that Pratchett is clever with his use of these, combining puns like "the luggage felt wooden" but with this book, they are just added ad nauseum here and there to describe everything related to magic, which starts of quite common, and continues to increase in frequency.

THEN you get to the part of the book where its a solid 100 pages of alternating from one of three jokes to another, repeatedly, without stop, with barely time to catch your breath when jumping from one joke to another of the exact same (or that of the joke on the previous page)....AAHHHGGG

4/10 (dislike dislike dislike)

17. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Just finished up my re-read of Blood Song by Anthony Ryan.

Can't remember my exact thoughts the first time through but I think my overall enjoyment was roughly the same. Anything with training and a school/camp or what have you is almost always going to land on the positive side for me and this one had it and was well done. The major flaw of the book was the MC being a Gary Stu and a complete lack of tension throughout most of the book. There are times where the author can manage tension when you the reader still know things always turn out for the good guys but in this case even the character himself usually seems so confident in his abilties that there isn't even an attempt at tension. A more minor complaint is some of the stuff after their training was boring when it came to war and battles but I am not a fan of those in general so there is no major gripe on my part. There was still intrigue enough during those times to keep it afloat though.

Would have liked the book to explore the magic side of things more. We were given tastes but never enough depth to completely satisfy my hunger. Although I guess the little tastes helped add to the continued intrigue. I am interested to see how I feel about book 2 because I don't remember liking it the first time around but a few around here have said it was better than the first.

8/10

• Like Like x 1
  18. Darth Tater

I completed a historical Fiction book earlier but I had a few minutes left to begin The Lies Of Locke Lamora. You cannot fairly judge a book in the first 20 pages but I think I'm going to really like it.

It reminds me of Oliver Twist so far but the opposite. Whereas Fagin had a conscience the thief taker doesn't. However where Oliver was innocent and had a conscience Locke is already street savvy and doesn't seem to care what he does.

The book is quite funny. I do not like books that basically hold up cue cards for canned laughter. The situations are just naturally funny and the wording makes you chuckle. Again, way too early to judge.

It seems like there has been a long time between books in the series so I do not plan on reading past book one. At least for the short term.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I started on Last First Snow by Max Gladstone. It is a bit of a departure from the sorts of things I've been reading lately so it's taking me awhile to get into a rhythm. But I liked the previous three books so I think I will like this one as well.

20. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I have finished The Vagrant by Peter Newman and I totally get what all the hype is all about with this book. However, since I've had the impression that many people consider the second book somewhat of a dissapointment, and since I kind of feel the need to change the scenery a little bit after the strangeness of this book's world-building, I've chosen not to continue with this series just yet.

Instead - I've started reading The Red Knight by Miles Cameron, since it was in my list for ages now and I am curious if it's really as nice as people make it out to be.

I've also finished A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. What can I say... what the book does right, it does it right in a spectacular fashion. It's not as much into the fantasy camp as other books are, but there is some fantasy in it, so yeah... It's a 9/10 book for sure, maybe even more, if you are into the themes the book explores.

Another book I've finished - The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chinani. It's a middle-grade-ish/young-adult-ish book with somewhat intriguing premise. As far as realization of cool ideas come... this was one of the averagely done ones. The prose is good, the tone of the series and the narrative is also good, somewhat cheeky/quirky at places. But the plot wasn't as smooth as it should've been, there were places where the story could've benefited from a more direct approach, and also one of the two main characters did not go through a well-developed character arc - actually, her character arc was non-existent for like 90-95% of the book.

Still, as far as cleansing the pallet middle-grade/young-adult-ish reads go, I'd give the book 7.1/10. But if we are to compare the book with the more serious works in the fantasy genre - its score would probably go to the 5/10 mark.

Besides The Red Knight, I am also reading A World Without Heroes( Beyonders book 1) and A World Without Princes( The School for Good and Evil Book 2). To be honest, I don't know how I feel about it. I am into a kind of middle-grade overload. But The Red Knight certainly started very promising, and the book's tone is just great.

• Like Like x 1