June 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Nearing the halfway point on The Gathering Storm. It's proving a long task, if only for the fact it's a massive book with a very, very long setup.

Sanglant has just found Liath, Bulkezu has been killed and Liath taken by a griffin
    . Hoping to wrap this one up before I go on holiday a week today, but it's a tall, tall order.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Just finished the wonderful wizard of oz~Frank Baum

Very short children's book, with a huge disclaimer saying this is strictly a children's book and has no political hidden message or other deep meanings. Intended for the sheer enjoyment of a modern fairy tale the likes of Grimm .

It's clear why Frank felt it necessary to put in that disclaimer. I have been told numerous times by teachers in college and high school about the deep political meaning of this book, as a symbolist tome of the fight between progressives and conservatives. The untamed vanishing wilds and the blinded city dwellers. St cetera.

Turns out that's all a bogus claptrap. People will see in a book whatever they feel like seeing, regardless of its absence.

The story is ...okay, a little muddled and its written like a poorly done children's book, but that's all it needs to be. A lot of the absence of 'stranger danger ' as everyone is best friends as soon as they meet. A lot of very weak plot points and weak moments that serve nothing needed. Most of the problems are fixed in the movie.

Watch the movie, it will take you just as long to watch tge movie and it is far superior. They drop uneeded exposition fix a few plot holes, establish a clear villain (rather than having the plot just kind of stagnate until act three when she shows up) make Dorothy s reactions a lot more believable, and get rid of the silly.

The movie is a masterpiece, the book is good enough to be respected as an iconic piece of Americana, and would make a great series for children (more often females for some reason) even today. But there's no reason it should be propped up as a political rant in college or high school, and there is no real reason for an adult to read this.

3. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I haven't been reading much lately. It's just audiobooks now. I've been listening to/reading Ghost Story (Dresden Files #13) for a while now, but it's a bit a slower and harder to get into compared to the other novels in the series. But maybe it's just me. Either way, I have only 45 minutes left of the book and I must say it's been a satisfying journey, even if not as exciting as in the books before. I'm nearing the finish line too. Only 2 books left now and I'll join the waiting club.
    Cheers!

4. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

When a series has book called The Gathering Storm, you know it's gone on too long.

I do need to get back to the last two books of Crown of Stars. I like the series, but it does feel like it gets a bit dragged out at times.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Ain't that the truth. (Not only that, but the very name points to filler...)

And yes, I have read, in their entireties, both series I can think of containing a volume by that name.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

There were a lot more stories than tbe one. Around 14. I read them all in an anthology a couple years ago. It introduces new characters as well as continuing the adventures of the ones in the first book. Sometimes these characters are briefl referred to in other fantasy novels but you wouldn't know it unless you read the entire collection. Still, IMO, the first was the best. He planned to stop writing them atsome point but said he kept getting letters from kids asking for more. Honestly, they weren't bad for kids stories but I wouldn't ever recommend an adult read them for their own pleasure. I got through the collection by reading a story or two in between my other books.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Darth Tater

Halfway through The Lies Of Locke Lamora. I can't get certain movies/shows out of my head. Oliver Twist (orphan thrown into the criminal element, The Sting (con artists) and Kung Fu (flashbacks to his masters teaching). Most of you are too young to appreciate those things.

The flashbacks and changes from past to present without warning are maddening. I do not care about any of the characters. I am not motivated to read so I am only doing about 40 pages a day. Maybe it is just the antihero thing. Not my favorite books.

8. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

Am I the only one that thinks the Wizard of Oz is completely overrated and not that good? I've only watched the TV show but I never really cared for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I completely agree, with every bad tv show, and at least a few of the bad movies. But, the one and only first movie, starring judy garland, is definitely a classic...an overrated classic, yes, but not by much its still a damn good movie

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  10. Darth Tater

Completet The Deus ex machina of Locke Lamora. I enjoyed the second half more than the first and the book came to a very satisfying conclusion. I do not feel the desire to continue with the unfinished series.

11. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

You know, I am kind of feeling the same way. I read that one a couple of years ago and have never bothered to seek out book 2.

12. Maark Abbott

Or if a book is about a world which is made of storms cause that way they're constantly gathering... If you know what I mean

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Ryan W. Mueller

You just couldn't resist, could you?

14. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

I'm 64% done book 11 of the WOT. Definitely improved over the last few books except for Elayne. But it just hit me that this is the last book Robert Jordan wrote in the series. My next three will be by Brandon Sanderson. I haven't read the prequel book though and might do that when finished.

When finished I would love to be able to discuss the series as a whole with people who read it. What parts do you think could have been cut out or changed possibly. Right now there are still quite a bit of loose ends that have to be completed.

15. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I think your opinion on the change from Jordan to Sanderson will be interesting as you are reading them sequentially. Most of us took years between his last book and Sanderson's first and it was hard to make comparisons that were timely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Maark Abbott

upload_2017-6-20_14-53-58.jpeg

Anyway, I've made some progress with The Gathering Storm. Whilst it's ostensibly a book of long setups, it feels like it's adding a lot to the overall story just now. The long-windedness can be a bit much at times, though.

17. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

When you've read The Gathering Storm, didn't you find it a bit transitional between the old style and what Brandon's books usually are. For me it was as if Brandon gave himself a book to gradually ease the readers into the much more direct pace in the last two installments.

On another note - I have finished 3 books recently.

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron - I'd give it a 10/10 and leave it at that. It's not a flawless book by any means, but it's so much better than 95% of the stuff out there, that it certainly deserves the score. A medieval fantasy at its finest. G. R. R. Martin could use some of lessons on pacing from Miles Cameron, that's for sure.

The next thing I was especially happy to finish was Awaken Online Catharsis by Travis Bagwell. I'd say that as far as LitRPG goes, I've enjoyed this one at least as much, if not more, than Ready Player One. Both books sport great premises, but Awaken Online's one is executed in a much more linear way, where the "Everything could happen Thursday" moments weren't as prominent and you could actually follow to progress of the story with much more confidence. I'd give it a 7.5/10 for literary value and 8.7/10 for the pure enjoyment which it brings.

The 3rd book I've finished however was less exciting than the previous two. It was "A World Without Heroes" by Brandon Mull. A nice middle-grade book as a whole, the story isn't bad or anything, but it could've been more refined both as pace and events. The convenient parts and happenings were too prominent at places, and the story structure was very much that of a quest-leading-to-a-quest-leading-to-a-quest repeating several times and that's pretty much it. The characters were fine though, but the world-building, story progress and foreshadowing were kind of lazily done. I am giving the book 7/10 as far a middle-grade reads go, and of course if we are to compare it to more serious fantasy series it won't score this high, so for the sake of fairness I won't go that way. It's a middle-grade book and middle-grade stuff is mostly what you'd get from this book.

18. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Sigh. I'm looking forward to moving up to middle-grade myself.

So you haven't read Red Knight until now? Of course you found it to be great, we all said it. It's like Ben not reading Blood, Steel & Fire yet. We're all dude, what's the delay. You won't believe how good it is. Maybe he's delaying it to have something to look forward to, worrying that after that he won't have anything to hope for.

I'm still being absolutely blown away with the second book in Bradley Beaulieu's Twelve Kings in Sharakhai series, With Blood On the Sand. Sneaky's review on Amazon is spot on, it's even better than the great first book. This story just keeps getting bigger, better, more complex and impossible to put down or stop thinking about all day long. Highest rec.

19. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Just finished Stone of Farewell. This is a very good classic epic fantasy series. Simon can be a whiny little bitch sometimes but other than that I'm really enjoying the series. Reading To Green Angel Tower now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ryan W. Mueller

If that's the only Mull you've read, I would suggest giving him another chance. The Beyonders trilogy is the weakest story of his that I've read. As a portal fantasy, I enjoy his Five Kingdoms series a lot more. Then, of course, there's Fablehaven, which he is best known for.

• Like Like x 1