June 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I'm not reading anything at the moment, but I just wanted to point out that Ryan's cover art for his upcoming book is awesome. Absolutely love it, and I might have to put a hole in my writing to read what you've written. BTW who's the artist?

2. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I'm currently reading book 4 of The Dark Tower, Wizard and Glass. So far I would say it's my least favourite, I think part of the reason is due to the ending of the third book and the transition into the forth book. I really think SK should have ended the story of
    Blaine
    in the third book and started off the next book differently, I think that story had less than a hundred pages before it ended.

The second thing that's not grabbing my attention is the story of Roland and Susan, I don't think that any 'love' story in a book has been overly enjoyable for me.

@Alucard I can't remember if you said this book was your favourite so far ? It would be good to see how you felt about this book and if my opinion reflects yours in any way.

3. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I went with the great artists of Deranged Doctor Design. They provide great covers at very affordable prices. I paid $269 for e-book, print, and social media covers. Because of the great value, they can develop quite a backlog of projects, so you have to submit your cover art requests well ahead of publication date.

And I think you'd probably enjoy my book. It's a modern update on your classic quest fantasy. That is, I take the simple Hero(es) vs. Dark Lord trope and put a few twists on it to make it something different.

That remind me...I really need to read the last book of your trilogy, Davis. I really liked the first two. I've been swamped with school and work and writing, and I haven't been doing as much reading as I'd like.

4. Davis Ashura

I'll definitely give your book a go. I'll even trade you my last for your first. And thanks for the insight into the cover artist. I'm three books into a planned 5 books series, and it's time to start getting some cover art ordered. BTW I know that swamped feeling of which you speak. Being an introvert and having to be an extrovert at work is exhausting.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

It does kind of take you off of the beaten path. I thought it was good but it was not my favorite. My favorite was book 5 which actually also took you off the beaten path although not as much because it happens in the present.. But book four gets pretty good. IIRC that is the book where there is something going on that if you were wise to it you would enjoy it more. I know I would have. Take a step back and look at both the story of the journey and incorporate it with the love story a little bit. I wish I had known all along I think I figured it out later. If you want, I can give you a hint covered in a spoiler or I could tell you straight out also covered by a spoiler. I am almost positive it is the book and while I am the last person to want to know something in advance, this is something that I wish I knew I could've enjoyed it a lot more. Maybe you are quicker on the uptake than me and already know what I'm talking about.

Stephen King is a trip.

6. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Was Wizard and Glass the flashback book? If so, that was my favorite one and maybe the only one I would consider re-reading. Never cared much for the series on the whole.

7. Ryan W. Mueller

Don't worry about the swap. I already have yours sitting on my Kindle. I just haven't read it yet. Yeah, that swamped feeling kind of sucks. While I'm in school, I'm working in retail, where I have to interact with a lot of people. My favorite shifts are when it's nighttime and I'm cleaning up. That's when I can think about my writing.

And, yeah, if you're going to go with DDD, make sure you order well ahead of time. They'll tell you on their site the period for which they're booking projects.

In actual current reading, I've got a lot of books going. I did recently finish The Crimson Queen by Alec Hutson. It's one of the entries in the Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off this year, and I really enjoyed it. It's classic fantasy done very well, and it gave me a Wheel of Time vibe, which I always like to find in my reading.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Davis Ashura

Welp. I just preordered your book.

The book that most gave me the Wheel of Time vibe was The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington. He got picked up by a big 5 publisher and his second book comes out later in the summer.

9. Ryan W. Mueller

Already read that one (back when it was self-published) and loved it. Can't wait for the second book.

10. GreyMouser

GreyMouser Journeyed there and back again

I'm reading The Black Company for the first time since high school. Back then I was heavily into the swords and sorcery genre and this book was a perfect compliment to Elric, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, Karl Edward Wagner's Kane books, Vlad Taltos, Conan, etc. I loved all of the characters, the comradery, and the humor.

It's just as captivating now, 26 years later, as it was the first time.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I'm on Last First Snow by Max Gladstone and whatever the hell the third Greatcoats book is called by Sebastian de Castell.

This is probably my least favorite Gladstone book so far; I really liked the others. But, I'm willing to continue with the series because the books are only loosely interconnected and so the next one will deal with different people in a different location. The second half is proving to be more interesting than the first.

I have a hell of a time with the names of the de Castell books. I think the names are too similar, especially when the books are read in quick succession. There are some issues with these books (like fighting three duels while mortally wounded and crap like that) but they are relatively mindless, fast-paced adventure stories, and I appear to be in the mood for that right now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

These are my ratings so far. And Wizard and Glass will probably get 4 or 5 too.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Darth Tater

I'm eager to see what you guys think of book 5. Wolves Of The Calla My favorite (next was book 3). But I am pretty sure I'm in the minority. Many people said that was the worst book so you probably won't like it. Different strokes...

14. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I think just by you mentioning that something else is going on has helped here, I may not know exactly what as I can miss these little things. Not long after I posted that message things seem to be on the boil especially with the
    Coffin Hunters, even though these guys didn't make it as Gunslingers they are still people you don't want to be messing around with.

Yes it's the one with the flashbacks, it's a shame you didn't enjoy it though.

15. Darth Tater

@Hand of Fear

Maybe you know. Maybe not. It's so obvious that I kicked myself afterwards because I missed it and lost out on the experience. it is probably so obvious to you that you didn't even feel it was worth mentioning. Connect the pieces. The present journey and the past story. He never comes out and says it. It is right in front of you. Gosh, now that I think of it I can think of more "parralels" that never clicked. This vague two word hint is a spoiler that will help you get your little grey cells working. (Hercule Poirot).

Read these two words at your own risk.

Vague
    The title.

Why? Think about it! ;)

16. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I am currently reading two books. The second in the Awaken Online series by Travis Bagwell.

And The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron. Speaking of which, could someone help me a bit by providing some links to the actual maps in the series? I am going through the audio books and while the lack of maps doesn't bother me with other series, I'd prefer to have access to the ones for this series and Google isn't really helping. Please keep it absolutely spoiler free should you decide to assist in my maps hunt.

17. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Finished With Blood Upon the Sands, 11/10, and I'm well into The Sea of Skulls by Vox Day, the sequel to his great The Throne of Bones. It's LOTR with a Roman Empire twist.

18. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

Just finished A Land Fit for Heroes on audiobook. The whole series was way better than I expected. The series really had a cynical, Abercrombie-esque grimdark feel to it. This will probably go into my list of stuff that I re-read or listen to cyclically, like WoT, First Law, Red Rising trilogy, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Just finished Wyrd Sisters~Terry Pratchett

Great Book, best yet, book two witches, book 6 Discworld.

So it starts off a strong Parody of Macbeth (my favorite Shakespeare....) and takes great liberties with make the Witches the Protagonists sidelining the Macbethlike characters. The parody then morphs into a parody of half of all fairy tales involving princes and princesses (especially Sleeping Beauty and Snow White) its decidedly good and skimps not on the gratuitous plot points. making sure that every cliché is not only present, but called out showcased and has a spotlight shone on it. the characters themselves will even point out how ridiculous these clichés are, for great comedic effect.

I have dropped the rincewind line because of how bad Sourcery was. But Wyrd Sisters has put the Witches Line RIGHT on top of my TBpurchsed queue. I will be reading through all the death books before though (I don't have many Discworld Novels)

9/10

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Just finished Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan. I liked it better this 2nd time around and found each POV fairly intriguing throughout if none of them necessarily blew me away. By having multiple POV's it definitely improved from the first in adding an element of despair that just can't be had when Vaelin is getting page time. The dude was just too infallible. We also got a bigger taste of the magic, but I still wanted more.

8.5/10

This will be my first time reading Queen of Fire.

• Like Like x 1