June 2017: What SF books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Silvion Night, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I'm reading some non-fiction at the moment. How about you? Anyone reading sci-fi?

2. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Just finished from earth to the moon~ Jules Verne

A delightful story about an attempt to make a gun big enough to deliver ordinance to the moon, then to have a man in the ordinance. The chief sponsors to this gun is an American gun club ( and london) whom is hilariously introduced as a group without a full set of limbs save one man.

The bulk of the book is spent arguing over the nature of the universe and mathematics (proven wrong later in reality) but that's not to say it does excite the imagination but it's horribly outdated.

6/10

3. Bierschneeman

Just failed to finish in search of castaways~Jules Verne

It's good, just boring, also not really s cifi so not necessary for my reading of Jules Verne so I'm taking advantage to pare down my tbr list.

Mostly exploring regions considered mysterious at the time. He again gets his facts wrong. But no where near as bad as previous books.

I can't wait for 20000 leagues under the sea, but I'm taking a break from Jules Verne.

5/10... not good, just okay.

4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

In the last few weeks I have read the following:
    • The Mote in God’s Eye by L. Niven and J Pournelle. A great first contact story regarding the Moties. However, I found it very dated the human portray. I often felt Roger Moore A.K.A. James Bond could have been commanding the MacArthur while sipping a Dry Martini.
    • Dust, H. Howey, a nice recovery after Shift but not as good as Wool.
    • The Player of Games by I. Banks. Simply fantastic. Well, it’s Banks after all.
    • Endymion and The Rise of Endymion by D Simmons. Very good conclusion to The Hyperion Cantos.

If anyone is interested, we have been discussing these and many other SF books in the Best-SF-books section http://bestsciencefictionbooks.com/forums/

• Like Like x 2
  5. Diziet Sma

Just finished The Fifth Head of Cerberus by G Wolfe. Simply great.

6. Bierschneeman

I loved mote in God's eye, I can't wait to read the sequel

7. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 A Poet of the Khaiem

That made me think, so I tried to look it up. I think the Gripping hand was published under a different title in America - best do some research! There are also some associated short works (same universe)
    What did shock me was coming across this while searching for a bibliography:- "Among those topics was reducing costs for hospitals to which Niven offered the solution to spread rumors in Latino communities that organs were being harvested illegally in hospitals.". Its on here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Niven#Other_works. Frankly, I am appalled. I knew Niven's politics were a bit out to the libertarian right, but I hadn't realised this! I might have to stop reading his work!

8. Diziet Sma

You are then for a treat! Four more books to enjoy the Moties...

http://www.goodreads.com/series/57880

9. Bierschneeman

I followed the link and then followed the citations to find this quote. The USA Today article (the only Citation from a reputable source) acknowledges that Niven was at a conference where Scifi Writers predict the future and come up with reasonable solutions to terror problems as well as outlandish solutions in Jest that we may never actually do them.

The other citation leads to a dead link as well, so there is nothing to substantiate the Wiki(edit your own article to make your turds look like rainbows)pedia quote ever happened, if it did the USA Today Article clears up that they suggested everything good ideas and bad. suggesting that this bad turn could be true if we go too far. it was just a matter of looking at what could be to be prepared and not caught unaware as the 911 incident.

10. Bierschneeman

Just finished ISland of Dr. Moreau ~ H G Wells

great book short, but fantastic. you all know the story by now but this is the best version I have seen or read. the original is the best sometimes. best Wells I have read so far.

8/10

• Like Like x 1
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I guess I'm THAT guy who isn't familiar with the story. I will check it out. .Tomorrow I begin Leviathan Wakes.

12. Bierschneeman

It's very short, 4 hours of audioboook. I'm not sure I can say what its about without spoiling it. When you read you'll recognize a dozen of remakes and tv references