June: What Fantasy Book Are You Reading?

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
You've got a treat ahead of you am91962! The other books are even better!

Still finishing Peridido Stree Station. Great book! I'm a bit upset Jon is getting to read Abercrombie's new Best Served Cold before me!

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
btkong said:
Still finishing Peridido Stree Station. Great book!
It is fantastic, I can't believe it got knocked out round 1. I think book clubbers would have appreciated Un Lun Dun a bit more if they had read PSS first.

btkong said:
I'm a bit upset Jon is getting to read Abercrombie's new Best Served Cold before me!
MUHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

schhaaawing! (wayne's world)

p.s. welcome back to the forums Ben. We've missed you!

daystar

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
finished a clash of kings and started fool moon. i read all of dresdens books i have read out of order , but dosent even matter since they are all self contained stories. it went like 10 , 11, 9, 5,7,4,12,1,and now 2. strange but i read them depending on when the library got them.

Jon Snow said:

schhaaawing! (wayne's world)
I swear, UK/Aus almost always has better covers than the American versions - for example:

:(

We should start a whole thread on that except the point should be find when the American cover is actually nicer ;)

Finished Storm Front tonight. I'm a Jim Butcher fan now and that adds another 16 books to the TBR pile, lol.

Next up is Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn while waiting for the other two Mistborn books to come in.

Jon Snow

Staff member
the only series i know that the american art is nicer is probably The Gentlemen Bastards

HazyJay

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I read a blog the other day about those covers. The US publisher is hoping that the cover will appeal to female urban fantasy readers.

Jon Snow

Staff member
HazyJay said:
I read a blog the other day about those covers. The US publisher is hoping that the cover will appeal to female urban fantasy readers.
teeeeeerible

HazyJay said:
Holy crap, that's a chick?! Awful... just awful.

I really need to read these, but my library (Los Angeles, if you can believe it) does not have them available. I suppose I will have to cave and buy.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Steadfast said:
HazyJay said:
Holy crap, that's a chick?! Awful... just awful.

I really need to read these, but my library (Los Angeles, if you can believe it) does not have them available. I suppose I will have to cave and buy.
Your library doesn't have The First Law trilogy? sucks to be you. (i've got 3 copies of the blade itself!)

Best served cold isn't out yet in the states, so you don't have to worry about that one in the near future. However you should recommend books to your library, sometimes they will get them if there is a demand. and since your there, your not really wasting your time if they don't

HazyJay

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I started Gardens of the Moon the other day. Very reminiscent of The Black Company in feel and tone. I'm a bit lost right now. The various unpronounceable names, army/company numbers, and the concept of Warrens is making me struggle to hold the plot thread. Going back and re-reading stuff to make sure that I understand what is going on is making for slow going, but I'm starting to get a grasp which means its getting more enjoyable .

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
:eek:
I was reading Name of the Wind too slowly. I went to renew it at the library and they wouldn't let me, because someone put the book on a hold list! I only read the first 10 chapters! Noooo!

It's easy, as you read, count each time he talks about how poor and alone he was. Every third time, take a break. Will take at least a month to finish that way :p

I keed, I keed. It's a great set-up book.

Probably take 2 months. I just hope he doesn't dissapoint with Wise Mans Fear. There is a lot of excitement and expectations surrounding it.

We should start a whole thread on that except the point should be find when the American cover is actually nicer ;)

Steadfast

I was looking at the Dresden Files book posted on Jon's shelfari and if that's the cover for the uk/ausi/nz dresden books than imo the American/(Canadian?) are nicer.

Jon Snow

Staff member
am91962 said:

Steadfast

I was looking at the Dresden Files book posted on Jon's shelfari and if that's the cover for the uk/ausi/nz dresden books than imo the American/(Canadian?) are nicer.
I think they are just the mass market paperback covers. However I have to disagree with you that they don't look as nice. The picture is of a file (dresden files...go pun) and when you have it in hand, it looks like there is sellotape on the frontcover (intentional) making it seem a little more authentic i guess. I like it.

dhoop17 said:
Probably take 2 months. I just hope he doesn't dissapoint with Wise Mans Fear. There is a lot of excitement and expectations surrounding it.

I REALLY want to read Name of the Wind but i don't like to start a series until it's finished. I understood that he had already written the trilogy so I didn't think I'd have to wait that long. I found this on his blog a while back, i like this guy. Not sure if you've seen it.

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/2009/02/concerning-release-of-book-two.html

Jon Snow

Staff member
alk24 said:
dhoop17 said:

I REALLY want to read Name of the Wind but i don't like to start a series until it's finished. I understood that he had already written the trilogy so I didn't think I'd have to wait that long. I found this on his blog a while back, i like this guy. Not sure if you've seen it.

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/2009/02/concerning-release-of-book-two.html
Yeah I saw that a couple of months ago. Damn hilarious.

I'm probably going to wait for that series to finish before I read it too. Got other things to read at the moment! BTW 200 pages into Best Served Cold and it is very good so far. A great use of past characters from Abercrombie.