June - what fantasy / scifi books you are reading?

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
And while we are at it:

• The Rithmatist -- just finished and love it. Another entertaining book by Sanderson with a unique, if mentally challenging to grasp, magic system.
  • Calaban's War -- finishing this science fiction read up. Book 2 of The Expanse trilogy

João Ribeiro

It's still May where I am sitting. Almost 4pm on May 31st 2013. So... greetings from the past. Can you tell me about the future?
Are the hoverboards? Use spoiler tags.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
The Rithmatist -- just finished and love it. Another entertaining book by Sanderson with a unique, if mentally challenging to grasp, magic system.
post int he book club .. also that spamming dude is going to over take me in credits ... bastard!

moonspawn

Started reading the Monarchy of Gods Volume 2 today - Century of Soldier.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
post int he book club .. also that spamming dude is going to over take me in credits ... bastard!
Ooh .... so you ARE competitive about the credits. I was going to ask you to transfer me some too, guess I know what the answer will be now =)

But .. staying on topic .. still reading House of Chains. Must say it's really gone off the boil, I'm not enjoying it as much since the Karsa single POV bit at the start of the book finished . I'm guessing that some of the story lines I'm struggling with are ones that will become clearer after reading later books. Will find out in time i guess ...

Antoxx

Just finished The Way to Babylon by Paul Kearney. Wasn't overly taken with it. I was always going to struggle with the concept (fantasy author finds himself in the world he has written following his wife's death) and whilst the writing was OK I found the overall plotline hum drum. There is good evidence that the author can write but it's hard escaping the fact that it is his first book. Overall I'd rate it 2 and a half out of 5. Have Knife of Dreams sitting on the bedside drawer beside me so will start that tonight.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
antasy author finds himself in the world he has written following his wife's death
Damn, That sounds cool.

FINISHED UNI!!! so Rithmitist will probably get finished tomorrow. Good thing I have a voucher for amazon sitting in my account else I would be in trouble!

Hand of Fear

Still reading Red Skies Over Red Seas, will probably take me most of this month to finish. The writing is every bit as good as the first book, but I'm starting to think the plot is a little bit over the top.

João Ribeiro

Still going through Fool Moon. I'm finding a lot of similarities between Fool Moon and Storm Front. I hope it changes a bit because I'm only a quarter of the book in.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Reading Lamentation by Ken Scholes, about 60% through. Also, I'm still listening to Blade of Tyshalle, and have no idea how far along I am. I don't like it. It's insanely long, boring, and depressing. Amazon claims it's 738 pages but I've been listening to it as long as a Wheel of Time book takes (about a month, usually around 900 pages) and I'm still not done. Caine Black Knife is half that length, so I might go ahead and give it a listen since the Caine parts are Caine's first major adventure, the one that made him a star, so may be worth the time. Blade of Tyshalle is awful after it gets past the Caine backstory due to certain happenings in Heroes Die.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Reading Lamentation by Ken Scholes, about 60% through
What do you think of it? I liked it (liked the first three in the series, haven't actually checked to see if any more are out), but I can see how it might not be for everyone.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
What do you think of it? I liked it (liked the first three in the series, haven't actually checked to see if any more are out), but I can see how it might not be for everyone.
It's interesting. I like the politics; they're not so confusing that I can't follow, but complex enough to be interesting. I'm not huge into steampunk and there's robots in this, but I'm getting along with the book so far. The characters are interesting and once I figured out who was who and got everything straight in my head, I liked it more.

afa

Finished The Riyria Revelations. A pretty good series. It's not the most original thing you'll ever read, but it is entertaining enough and moves along at a fairly good pace. Considering that these books started life as a self-published series, it's actually much better than you would think. No wonder it was picked up by a publisher.

I actually expected a different revelation at the end from the one we got, but it wasn't earth shattering.
I actually expected Hadrian to turn out to be the true Heir. Particularly after we had that recap from the priest about how his father had fought all those Serets with an unnamed apprentice. I figured that the apprentice was supposed to be the new Teshlor, but that once the child survived, Danbury raised him as his own and also trained him to fight, thereby making him both the Heir and the Guardian...
The characters are fairly straight forward, but to their credit stay true to their natures and we don't really get many super-convenient solutions to problems (though there are a couple) and overall I quite enjoyed it. On the whole, I would give it a 3.5/5 for the whole series.

As for now, I am not quite sure what to read. I actually have some exams coming up, so won't be reading anything for the next few days. Once I resume, though, I am considering either starting with Gardens of the Moon, The Dragonbone Chair, or The Sum of All Men. All of these are books I've had lying on my shelf for ages and ages, and I figure it's about time I finally start at least one of them. Positive for Dragonbone is that it is a trilogy and so should be relatively short. The negative for Sum of.. is that it is an unfinished series. And GotM is, of course, the start of a super-complex series.

Hmmm...

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I actually expected a different revelation at the end from the one we got, but it wasn't earth shattering.
I thought so (re: your spoiler tag) for a long time as well. Well, not exactly all of that, but the first hidden sentence, anyway.

Yeah, Dragonbone is the first in a trilogy, and since you tend to buy e-books, you might not have seen this, but To Green Angel Tower (volume 3) has to be the biggest, thickest fantasy novel I've seen to date. Still, Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn will be quicker than Malazan. (Not to knock Malazan -- I like it a lot. It's just a different sort of reading experience than anything Tad Williams has put out.)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
It's interesting. I like the politics; they're not so confusing that I can't follow, but complex enough to be interesting. I'm not huge into steampunk and there's robots in this, but I'm getting along with the book so far. The characters are interesting and once I figured out who was who and got everything straight in my head, I liked it more.
It'll get confusing by book 3. But there was a long time between me reading book 2 and book 3, and that may have been part of the problem. I really can't guess how things are going to turn out (well, maybe a little), which I am actually glad for.