June - what fantasy / scifi books you are reading?

You must REALLY love House of Blades, you've mentioned it in about 5 threads! Never heard of Will Wight myself, but will keep an eye out if you think so highly of it!

ps. Are you Will Wight?
Nope, I am. :)

Zarien works tirelessly on my behalf, though. He's been an enthusiastic support and an unstoppable machine. Literally. I feed him weapons-grade plutonium to reward him for a job well done.

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
I'm glad to see that book getting more attention (l3gacy mentioned it the other day, too). I like that series. (Also, for what it's worth, the "Quote Me!" thing doesn't seem to work on my Mac.)
So you've read the first three? The fourth one, Requiem, is due out 18 June, but I think this is only in hardcover and e-book. I'm about quarter of the way through Lamentation so far and enjoying it. Writing style is good and despite short POV sequences it works pretty well. l3gacy what did you think on completion?

moonspawn

Have now started Lamentation, Book 1 of The Psalms of Isaak by Ken Scholes and will be doing a review of this.

I think we should all drop what were reading and read The Psalms of Isaak and have a book club discussion! I finished the Monarchies of Gods today so this will be convenient for me. I've been working on a review of the Monarchies of Gods.

Antoxx

I think we should all drop what were reading and read The Psalms of Isaak and have a book club discussion! I finished the Monarchies of Gods today so this will be convenient for me. I've been working on a review of the Monarchies of Gods.
Danica handles book club, but there are a few of us who have read or reading it now who might like to contribute (Sneaky Burrito and l3gacy) - anybody else interted?

Look forward to your review of Monarchies of God - are you reviewing first book or entire series?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
So you've read the first three? The fourth one, Requiem, is due out 18 June, but I think this is only in hardcover and e-book.
Yep. I might see if the science fiction book club (sfbc.com) has the hardcover for Requiem. That's where I got the first two, and that's usually almost comparable in price to trade paperbacks (though probably not available outside the US). Although I still really don't have a book-buying budget...

Derk of Derkholm

Nope, I am. :)

Zarien works tirelessly on my behalf, though. He's been an enthusiastic support and an unstoppable machine. Literally. I feed him weapons-grade plutonium to reward him for a job well done.
Will, welcome to the forum!

As I already posted in the other thread started by Zarien, I have read your book, and I did like it.

No, it was not perfect, there were some rough spots, and it certainly is not the best fantasy book available on Amazon.com (as the few reviews might, ahem, suggest), but I do consider it a very good start and a solid fantasy story. Looking forward to the second one.

Best regards,
Andy

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have started Best Served Cold ... fancied dipping my toes back into Abercrombie's world!

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I have started reading Jonathan Strange and mr Norrel. Slow going but the writing style is interesting, vaguely reminds me of charles dickens' style.
I do have to keep my attention from wandering though.

Hand of Fear

I have just finished Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, I enjoyed the book but felt that the end of the book was rushed as if Scott Lynch was trying to tie everything together quickly in order to keep the plot lines to just one book.

Next up on my reading list is Retribution Falls: Tales of the Ketty Jay by Chris Wooding.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I have started reading Jonathan Strange and mr Norrel. Slow going but the writing style is interesting, vaguely reminds me of charles dickens' style.
I do have to keep my attention from wandering though.
Slow going is right. I got close to halfway through and nothing had happened. Put the book down and read something else, never regretted it.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Slow going is right. I got close to halfway through and nothing had happened. Put the book down and read something else, never regretted it.
Sadly I'm one of those people that once he starts reading a book, absolutely has to finish it.
I say sadly but it's not that bad, I end up enjoying every book I read, I'm easily pleased and there's very little that actually makes me put a book down.
During the slow books I have more time for gaming or watching movies. There's an upside to everything.
The only book I KNOW I haven't finished was Ulysses, after pag 75 I couldn't or didn't want to follow anymore. I got the general gist by reading the summaries at the back of the book but had never read the odyssey so didn't really get what all the fuss was about.

moonspawn

On top of Mists of Avalon I'm also reading Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin and Lamentations by Ken Scholes. I have quite the reading schedule right now. WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF!

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin
Love N.K Jemisin's books, they're all well written and have a certain ethereal and mystical feel about them(especially Hundred Thousand Kingdoms).

Somehow I never liked the Palms of Isaak series,too many characters introduced in too few pages meant that I put down the book early, since its on the Book Club means that I'll probably have to try reading them again.

After Danica's post, I recently read House of Blades by Will Wight , mixed thoughts..on the one hand it has the makings of the oh-so-boring farm boy books, its got the good looking teen with umimaginable power, the equally good-looking and mysterious girl,who has a noble background. If the book had been about these two, I'd have probably screamed out in frustration,but thankfully the addition of our nobody protagonist Simon adds some much needed variety.

Much of the magic is reminiscent of Malazan(Territories are very like the Warrens) albeit in much simpler terms and without Erikson's gift for fantastic and impressive names and much more simpler to understand. I liked the idea about advisers, but I feel that a 7 foot blade is not only impractical, its waay to long to wield(Still sounds good on paper tho :D ). The lore is ok, though I felt many of the Territories could have had better names.

I liked Simon's story, its got the hard work,the actual training, the blood,sweat and loss that a true protagonist needs,plus his story is the most fleshed out and detailed..the other two characters are pretty boring and generic,the boy is way too overpowered and gifted (total Deus Ex Machina) and the girl till now is shallow and doesn't have much character(for now).

If the author's idea was to alienate readers from Alin,then its worked wonderfully, I couldn't stand the guy and personally I'm hoping he somehow turns out to be evil just so I can have the satisfaction of reading him get beaten to a pulp.

All in all,this is a pretty ok book, its nice for a quick read, its got just enough mystery and action to keep you going but its not really big league fantasy.

Still I'll probably get the next book, if only to read Simon's story.

Antoxx

Somehow I never liked the Palms of Isaak series,too many characters introduced in too few pages meant that I put down the book early, since its on the Book Club means that I'll probably have to try reading them again.
Definitely do so Haven, would be good to have your thoughts. I'm not gushing over it but it is relatively short and I've heard reasonably self contained so might not require all 5 books to be read to get some kind of ending.

After Danica's post, I recently read House of Blades by Will Wight , mixed thoughts........
Still I'll probably get the next book, if only to read Simon's story.
Hey, can't be too bad if you're going to be picking up the sequel.

Sandman

Has been in the eye of the world
June has been Michael Sullivan month. I have read all 6 of the Theft of Swords series and also the Viscount & the Witch short. Obviously, you can tell I enjoyed them.