June - what fantasy / scifi books you are reading?

epicfantasyfreak

Journeyed there and back again
...but I feel that a 7 foot blade is not only impractical, its waay to long to wield(Still sounds good on paper tho :D )...
I haven't read the book, but just a historical note, a 7 foot sword is certainly possible and did exist. Greatswords like the Claymore and Zweihander have been found at that length. At that length they tend to be rare, and most are closer to the 5' to 6' range. So, it's probably that the 7 footers were specially made for some very large individuals (though, keep in mind, that the average human height at that time was 1' shorter than it is today).

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I've finished Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak) by Ken Scholes and started the second book Canticle. It is also very good.

I liked it much more than Antoxx did. Scholes gives almost equal time to his main characters and follows each of them for shorts parts of time before moving onto the next character. Some events are seem through multiple peoples points of view. I think the plot moves forward quick enough, but i can see how people might disagree, there is a sacrifice when the same event is seen from multiple perspectives.

The 'drama' mostly comes from the political intrigue and the characters inner conflicts. really enjoyed!!

Sandman

Has been in the eye of the world
Slow going is right. I got close to halfway through and nothing had happened. Put the book down and read something else, never regretted it.
I'm with you. I probably didn't even make it halfway. It is one of the few books that I have not finished. And like you I have not regretted it and do not see myself picking it up again. It does not matter how many multiverses or timestreams there are I am not reading it in any of them.

Zarien

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Love N.K Jemisin's books, they're all well written and have a certain ethereal and mystical feel about them(especially Hundred Thousand Kingdoms).

Somehow I never liked the Palms of Isaak series,too many characters introduced in too few pages meant that I put down the book early, since its on the Book Club means that I'll probably have to try reading them again.

After Danica's post, I recently read House of Blades by Will Wight , mixed thoughts..on the one hand it has the makings of the oh-so-boring farm boy books, its got the good looking teen with umimaginable power, the equally good-looking and mysterious girl,who has a noble background. If the book had been about these two, I'd have probably screamed out in frustration,but thankfully the addition of our nobody protagonist Simon adds some much needed variety.

Much of the magic is reminiscent of Malazan(Territories are very like the Warrens) albeit in much simpler terms and without Erikson's gift for fantastic and impressive names and much more simpler to understand. I liked the idea about advisers, but I feel that a 7 foot blade is not only impractical, its waay to long to wield(Still sounds good on paper tho :D ). The lore is ok, though I felt many of the Territories could have had better names.

I liked Simon's story, its got the hard work,the actual training, the blood,sweat and loss that a true protagonist needs,plus his story is the most fleshed out and detailed..the other two characters are pretty boring and generic,the boy is way too overpowered and gifted (total Deus Ex Machina) and the girl till now is shallow and doesn't have much character(for now).

If the author's idea was to alienate readers from Alin,then its worked wonderfully, I couldn't stand the guy and personally I'm hoping he somehow turns out to be evil just so I can have the satisfaction of reading him get beaten to a pulp.

All in all,this is a pretty ok book, its nice for a quick read, its got just enough mystery and action to keep you going but its not really big league fantasy.

Still I'll probably get the next book, if only to read Simon's story.

Greatly appreciate the input and I'll relay it to my friend. You certainly aren't really meant to like alin, but whether he is evil or not will be left up to our interpretation probably is all i'll say on the matter, and that goes into more detail in the second book. And as you said, leah doesn't have much of a role in the ordeal, yet. Thanks again for reading!

João Ribeiro

Finished Fool Moon and almost halfway through Grave Peril.
Boy are these books getting better or what?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really enjoying Best Served Cold .. reminds me why I loved First Law so much after the disappointment (mostly) of The Heroes. Abercrombie's writing style is a refreshing change after Malazan, which lets face it, is ever so slightly, erm, serious.

Hand of Fear

[quhavete="TomTheBeliever, post: 14418, member: 26563"]Really enjoying Best Served Cold .. reminds me why I loved First Law so much after the disappointment (mostly) of The Heroes. Abercrombie's writing style is a refreshing change after Malazan, which lets face it, is ever so slightly, erm, serious.[/quote]

I have only read The Heroes by Abercrombie and even though it took me about a hundred plus pages to get in to it I really liked it, and his writing style and it's meant to be his best work.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his books !

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I am glad! I hope you continue to do so, I didn't like it much.
I guess that goes to show how individual tastes can be sometimes. I just wrote another post agreeing with your opinion of Lamentation, but I also liked Best Served Cold.

Antoxx

Finished Lamentation which overall was a good read. Book club has spoilers but at a high level the book was enjoyable as focussed on a small group of characters withemphasis on the political side of things with a fair smattering of religion thrown in. Pacing was quick, the steampunk influence was relatively light touch and if you weren't inclined to read Scholes other offerings, it can stand on it's own as there is a definite conclusion to the story at the end. I'd rate a 3.5 out of 5.

moonspawn

Finished Lamentation which overall was a good read. Book club has spoilers but at a high level the book was enjoyable as focussed on a small group of characters withemphasis on the political side of things with a fair smattering of religion thrown in. Pacing was quick, the steampunk influence was relatively light touch and if you weren't inclined to read Scholes other offerings, it can stand on it's own as there is a definite conclusion to the story at the end. I'd rate a 3.5 out of 5.
So you're implying that it's kind of your good? My rating 2.5 out of 5. Based on the content I should have liked it. However, in this case the political threads and religion going bad did little to excite me. Honestly it was the authors style I didn't like. The ideas were all there, but the whole thing seemed very flat. ARRRRRRRRRRR! I can't stand it when authors have similar ideas to me. He's not the first person to think of creating a world that suffered an apocalypse that caused the destruction of technology.

João Ribeiro

Started Summer Knight! A few pages in.
I'm not sure if Jim Butcher loves or hates Harry. I mean he puts the guy through a meat grinder every time. I'm really enjoying the series and the "I'm a big time wizard but a lot of baddies still kick my butt and I have to grit my teeth and suck it up to get things done" feel of the character.
Also I like that he keeps him quite human and vulnerable to the point of tears.

Funny thing is, the more Dresden books I read the more I'm enjoying the series but the less I'm linking the first book. Quite the butterfly that came out of its caterpillar cocoon.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Finished Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell earlier. Glad It is over, won't be reading it again, won't be recommending it to anyone. BUT I find that I did enjoy it, I used to read alot of old classics; dickens, austen, stoker, haggard and the likes. and I found that reading J and Norrel put me back in the mindset of those books again, well maybe just david copperfield and emma, haggard not so much.
especially in the use of words and sentences. very flowery, very slow and ponderous. the side characters of lascelles and drawlight and arguably Stephen very much remind me of the more villainous characters of the classics. Pathetic or just really easy to hate.
I absolutely hated Norrell right up untill the end, I couldn't believe what kind of decisions the guy made! all of it inspired of course by his evil friends. (the ending wasn't so surprising, because I always thought that these guys, if they were separated from their evil servants, would always end up complementing eachother)
I loved childermass and every bit of lore that surrounds the raven king, also the chapter with him in it was the climax of the book for me. the guy just radiated power, it was as if aragorn had just wandered in. I really loved that part.

The beginning was so sloooow. it didn't show much magic at all, was overly descriptive of all the tiny details and avoided any information about the raven king, no small wonder it is called Mr Norrel then.
part 2 was better, had more humor, had action and the war scenes were fun to read, also set things up for the grand finale.
and part 3 was the best, naturally. the magic just went crazy there. this doesn't mean of course it didn't have any flaws. they're still very much there, there's just alot of the more entertaining stuff there aswell.
the ending was really complete, (though I didn't like the bunch of norrellites and strangites arguing it out at the inn, felt like that episode from supernatural with the whole fanclub event, tsss that was sad), everything comes together quite nicely and most of the villains get their just deserts, wasn't too sure about one though...

also it really could've used some editing. but maybe that's part of its charm? I just feel that more people would actually finish the book if that happened.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Also just started reading the blade itself, finally!
Had it on my to-read pile for quite a while now, happy to finally have begun, it always got great reviews here, eager to see wether it lives up to its reputation.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also just started reading the blade itself, finally!
Had it on my to-read pile for quite a while now, happy to finally have begun, it always got great reviews here, eager to see wether it lives up to its reputation.
It will! :)

Zarien

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I'm not sure if Jim Butcher loves or hates Harry. I mean he puts the guy through a meat grinder every time. I'm really enjoying the series and the "I'm a big time wizard but a lot of baddies still kick my butt and I have to grit my teeth and suck it up to get things done" feel of the character.

Funny thing is, the more Dresden books I read the more I'm enjoying the series but the less I'm linking the first book. Quite the butterfly that came out of its caterpillar cocoon.
Yeah, noone really considers the first book as the beginning of the series. Book 2 and on each book gets progressively better. Cold days was probably one of my favorites, can't wait for the next book.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member

Yeah, he doesn't stop going through the meat grinder as well! Still won't beat how Hobb tortured Fitz though.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Book 2 and on each book gets progressively better. Cold days was probably one of my favorites, can't wait for the next book.
Loved Cold Days too! It does get better and better. Hit an odd point in the middle but i'm the only one that thinks so, so don't be worried about that.

Yeah, he doesn't stop going through the meat grinder as well! Still won't beat how Hobb tortured Fitz though.
nah harry gets plenty of good moments in his life, the bad ones are just sooooo bad it is an uneasy balance. Fitz just never got to see any light. poor guy

João Ribeiro

Yeah, noone really considers the first book as the beginning of the series.
I'm starting to agree with this trend. It looks like the first was a draft.

Hobb is a sadist on her own! At least GRRM gives them quick and clean deaths!