June - what fantasy / scifi books you are reading?

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
I'm still working on Retribution Falls, though I'm working through it fast nice and easy to read.

Darian Frey does seem to be very self pitying and nothing is ever his fault, and even though Bess cant talk and hasn't done much I like her !

moonspawn

A couple of hours and I'm already 1/10 of the way through Wool. Very enjoyable read so far.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
on to the third book in the Lamentations series. I'm on holidays, i'm doing nothing but reading. I think i have like 6 reviews to write for my blog. so unmotivated. i'd rather spend my time reading.

Love N.K Jemisin's books, they're all well written and have a certain ethereal and mystical feel about them(especially Hundred Thousand Kingdoms).

Somehow I never liked the Palms of Isaak series,too many characters introduced in too few pages meant that I put down the book early, since its on the Book Club means that I'll probably have to try reading them again.

After Danica's post, I recently read House of Blades by Will Wight , mixed thoughts..on the one hand it has the makings of the oh-so-boring farm boy books, its got the good looking teen with umimaginable power, the equally good-looking and mysterious girl,who has a noble background. If the book had been about these two, I'd have probably screamed out in frustration,but thankfully the addition of our nobody protagonist Simon adds some much needed variety.

Much of the magic is reminiscent of Malazan(Territories are very like the Warrens) albeit in much simpler terms and without Erikson's gift for fantastic and impressive names and much more simpler to understand. I liked the idea about advisers, but I feel that a 7 foot blade is not only impractical, its waay to long to wield(Still sounds good on paper tho :D ). The lore is ok, though I felt many of the Territories could have had better names.

I liked Simon's story, its got the hard work,the actual training, the blood,sweat and loss that a true protagonist needs,plus his story is the most fleshed out and detailed..the other two characters are pretty boring and generic,the boy is way too overpowered and gifted (total Deus Ex Machina) and the girl till now is shallow and doesn't have much character(for now).

If the author's idea was to alienate readers from Alin,then its worked wonderfully, I couldn't stand the guy and personally I'm hoping he somehow turns out to be evil just so I can have the satisfaction of reading him get beaten to a pulp.

All in all,this is a pretty ok book, its nice for a quick read, its got just enough mystery and action to keep you going but its not really big league fantasy.

Still I'll probably get the next book, if only to read Simon's story.
That sounds like a solid, accurate, and nicely reasoned analysis. Thanks! Glad you read it, and I appreciate the time you took to write a review. I'm always happy when somebody reads the book and gives their honest opinion.

Antoxx

Having finished Lamentation I'm now reading Lyonnese by Jack Vance. Also ready A History of Salt for work swhich along with extra hours 'm currently working will mean my reading will slow down a bit. Wish I was in Danica's shoes!

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
A History of Salt
i had a friend tell me he bought that. Interesting? and how does that relate to your work?

also, do you really wish you were in my shoes?? whats that saying about the grass??

also , im reading the forth book in the Lamentation series. It's pretty crap right now. i'm struggling. i'm so over prophecy and religiousness.

João Ribeiro

Finished Summer Knight which was very cool even though not my favorite so far. Right now I started two books, "Death Masks" in the fantasy front and the biography and season analysis of Jorge Jesus. For those who may not know him, he is a Portuguese football coach who manages Benfica.

Riposte

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I recently finished The Affirmation by Christopher Priest and am also reading his short stories taking place in the Dream Archipelago. Good stuff that plays around with memory and our perception of memories.

Starting up Abbadon's Gate by James S.A. Corey (pseudonym for Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck). The previous book in the series was a letdown relative to the first book in the series, so hopefully this is a return to form.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just reached 50% in Best Served Cold (can you tell I'm reading the Kindle version!?). Really really enjoying it so far, probably the best standalone I've read to date (up to the halfway point, obviously). Let's hope the second half lives up to the first!

moonspawn

I'm finaaaaaaaaaaaaly reading Assassin's Apprentice which is awesomely.... awesome, awesome, awesome.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Just reached 50% in Best Served Cold (can you tell I'm reading the Kindle version!?). Really really enjoying it so far, probably the best standalone I've read to date (up to the halfway point, obviously). Let's hope the second half lives up to the first!
Best Served Cold actually hit me as a great book on my second read so I'm enjoying that you're getting that experience on your first time through, it was my least favorite Abercrombie book the first time through, but it's right up there after a reread, not sure why I didn't enjoy it all that much the first time through. In my opinion the Heroes is still Abercrombie's best book, you can look forward to that one by the way, but get ready for that second half to up the anty.

I'm finaaaaaaaaaaaaly reading Assassin's Apprentice which is awesomely.... awesome, awesome, awesome.
It's one of the best trilogies out there no doubt, should be right up your alley considering you made it through the Malazan books, lol. Robin Hobb takes no prisoners.

Got through with Promise of Blood by Brian McClellen, great start to his series, fun and well written characters that are easy to fall behind, pretty wild Magic vs. Magic vs. Magic, vs. etc... systems. There were a few "Who didn't see that coming?" moments, but for the most part a really strong start, I got several chuckles out of the end by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing how he improves as a writer and where the series goes, as it appears it should all be going straight to hell from this point forward.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best Served Cold actually hit me as a great book on my second read so I'm enjoying that you're getting that experience on your first time through, it was my least favorite Abercrombie book the first time through, but it's right up there after a reread, not sure why I didn't enjoy it all that much the first time through. In my opinion the Heroes is still Abercrombie's best book, you can look forward to that one by the way, but get ready for that second half to up the anty.
I actually jumped sequence and read Heroes before starting Best Served Cold. I wasn't massively impressed, felt it started relatively poorly, albeit ending well. Maybe I should re-read though like you did with BSC; maybe I'll 'get it' 2nd time round !!?

Will prob move back onto Malazan next. Next on the list is Midnight Tides, which I've seen is several peeps favourite Malazan book. Although half tempted to squeeze in another Dresden, or maybe some other standalone .. choices choices :)

Zarien

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I actually jumped sequence and read Heroes before starting Best Served Cold. I wasn't massively impressed, felt it started relatively poorly, albeit ending well. Maybe I should re-read though like you did with BSC; maybe I'll 'get it' 2nd time round !!?

Will prob move back onto Malazan next. Next on the list is Midnight Tides, which I've seen is several peeps favourite Malazan book. Although half tempted to squeeze in another Dresden, or maybe some other standalone .. choices choices :)
I know it was reviewed on the site not too long ago but I thoroughly enjoyed blood song. I also just finished the Ryia revelations series and that was an excellent read. I had been putting off promise of blood, but I keep seeing good things about it so maybe ill pick that up tonight.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Finished The Blade Itself, and enjoyed it very much, the characters really are the best things in there. glokta in particular, he reminds me alot of tyrion, both are heavily disabled in their own ways, and the wry humor they have is also very similar.
Does anyone know if Abercrombie might've based his character on that of Martin's?
Also some of the preconceptions get neatly turned on their head:p very enjoyable!

Now halfway through Before They are Hanged, smoother going now that I have a better feel for the characters. I have to stop less between chapters.

moonspawn

I think you should read Midnight Tides next. It is my favorite Malazan book and my 2nd favorite book of all time, but I'm the only person who I have heard say that. I think I've said it several times on these forums so that must be what you're thinking of. Most people seem to say Deadhouse gates or Memories of Ice are their favorite.