Just finished First Law Trilogy

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Wow. I loved every second of it. There weren't any parts that I wanted to skip like in ASOIAF. I am so glad I read this trilogy. Thank you guys for the amazing recommendation. So now I need a new book to read. I trust this community to give me something truly amazing again. My Kindle is recommends Prince of Thorns....haven't read anything about it yet. Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why not move onto Best Served Cold? In my opinion, it's every bit as good as First Law!

Arya Stark

Okay thanks! I'm just really eager to read as much as I can. I feel like fantasy is exactly what's been missing from my libraryand now I can't get enough!

Lev Daert

I moved on to the heroes after I read the first law,
somehow I got the timeline mixed up, thought heroes came straight after last argument
didn't matter that much, apart from some references to best served cold that I didn't get anyway
heroes focusses neatly on the aftermath of Dow's coup. stand-alone indeed. slow build, great ending. lots of grey characters.

Arya Stark

I do love grey characters. I believe I will start with Best Served Cold. Then The Heroes. Then I'll be posting again begging for more :)

Arya Stark

I've already read the first 5 chapters of Best Served Cold and I am hooked!

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
What is the right order to read his books in ? As I have read The Heroes and I have bought Red Country, think I have started to read them in completely the wrong order.

Arya Stark

I might od. When I find good books I am so unproductive because all I do is read.

Lev Daert

First Law, BSC, Heroes, then Red Country. Not gotten round to Red Country yet (I'll wait for the paper back!), but I'd say the others should definitely be in that order.
Paperback red country is out, I know cause i got a mass market paperback to match my trade paperbacks...:banghead:
Whilst reading the heroes I did feel like I was missing something with bremer dan gorst, and it was only at the end that I realized I missed something about shivers too. sucks that I read it before best served cold, buuuuut it'll be interesting to find out.

Lev Daert

I've already read the first 5 chapters of Best Served Cold and I am hooked!
Same here. When i read something I like, all the rest just gets dropped untill the book is done. sometimes that skews my experience with the book though. I should take slower sometimes.

Sir Arthur

Journeyed there and back again
Paperback red country is out, I know cause i got a mass market paperback to match my trade paperbacks...:banghead:
Whilst reading the heroes I did feel like I was missing something with bremer dan gorst, and it was only at the end that I realized I missed something about shivers too. sucks that I read it before best served cold, buuuuut it'll be interesting to find out.
Yea, they really do need to be read in order of publishing. You could skip around, but Shivers in a good example of what you could miss.

I have not read "Red Country" yet, but "Heroes" was awesome, the way he used the multi. POVs was really fun to read. I was just meh about "Best Served cold " though.

Arya Stark

The trilogy is so good I hope (and this isn't something I generally approve of) it gets made into movies or a tv series. I want to talk to people about it. I want people to understand why I was bursting with laughter when I read Glokta's chapters. I want them to understand truly grey characters and things not happening how they "should". Wishful thinking though. I'd most likely hate it just like I hate Game of Thrones post season 2. Books are never given justice on film. /rant

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Couple of days ago I also finished First Law Trilogy and I can understand why you got so excited about it. My favorite book of the series was book 2, Before They are Hanged. I really enjoyed all that journey there and back again ;)
One of my favorite things about this trilogy is that Abercrombie completely annihilated certain fantasy stereotypes. Just think of Bayaz the wizard(ok he's a magi whatever, same thing) and Gandalf for example. Or think of stereotypical high born hero and Jezal....It's pretty sweet when you think about it.
Other point, I really liked all of his male characters. They annoyed me, they surprised me, thrilled me...but never bored me. His female ones...I think they are ok, but he can do better. I felt like Ferro and Ardee were much shallower in comparison to Logen, Jezal, Glokta or West.
Speaking of major West, there is my favorite character. What can I say, I'm a sucker for tragic heroes/ antiheroes. I just love that stuff. (So happy BFB has a Best Antihero Fantasy list: http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-anti-hero-fantasy-books.html) Thanks guys <3:joyful:

Oh and for all of you Abercrombie fans here's a little treat. First Law is getting adapted into comic book! :wideyed: In case you didn't know...there are 3 volumes out. It's interesting to see all those characters in comic book form. Art style is pretty great though.
You can read them here:
http://www.firstlawcomic.com/page/1/

Nighteyes

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Its well known that mr Abercrombie holds a special place in my heart. You will never burn out on his stuff. Bsc was awesome, the heroes was a hell of a ride, and red country was great too. The man can do no wrong by me, but it seems that this has been well covered in this thread.

other than abercrombie, if your new to fantasy, you should really check out the lies of locke lamora by scott lynch. This is the perfect time to read that, and the sequel, ted seas under red skies, seeing as the long long long LONG awaited third installment of the gentleman bastard sequence is FINALLY coming out soon.

also check out the name of the wind by patrick rothfuss. That is the first book in the (hopefully) soon to be finished kingkiller chronicles. Quite the work of art.

the farseer trilogy by robin hobb is one of my personal favorites, and an absolute must read if you like getting into a characters head (this also applies to the name of the wind) and are a fan of great character development.

if you are feeling motivated and want to tackle one of the big ones, wheel of time will keep you occupied for a while.

and though I have yet to read it, im sure someone around here will soon fill you in on the many wonders of the malazan book of the fallen, but il leave that to someone else.

Alucard

Staff member
I heard great things about Rothfuss and Lynch, but there is no way I'm starting those series until they are finished. That's one mistake I made with GRRM and I don't care to repeat it. Once they are finished though, I'll pounce on them like a cat :D

Nighteyes

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
I can definitely understand not wanting to get into something thats unfinished, but you are doing yourself a great disservice by abstaining from these works of literary art. Unlike martin, both there authers are relatively young men, and there is no doubt as to weather or not they will finish their series.

Rothfuss' trilogy is almost complete, so I can see waiting untill doors of stone is closee to release, but get on lynch.

I believe the reason that there was such a gap between red seas and republic of thieves was due to the bottom falling out of his world. From what I understand, the man had a few really rough years where everything fell apart on him and fell into depression. I guess he is through the crisis and hopefully starts cranking out books again seeing as the gentleman bastards is easily the most fun series I have ever read while still being gritty and brutal at times. There are quite a few books planned in that series, so I suggest you dont wait on that one to finish before starting it.

Alucard

Staff member
I understand your reasoning but I don't perceive it as a disservice. It could be called that if I planned to never touch those books. This way I'm only managing my time and choice in a way that I see fit. BFB has many great lists and books/series on them that are finished. I see no reason to agonize over unfinished series (I'm looking at you Martin) when I can read some really great gems of fantasy and get to finish.

As soon as Rothfuss is done with The Doors of Stone I'll get on that.
Lynch has only published 2 of 7 books. That's even worse than Martin. No thanks.

Now for finished series, there is so many that I would rather read. For example, Malazan, Robin Hobb's books, Neil Gaiman or China Mieville than wait for Gentlemen Bastard. I'm telling you all this because I get hooked on great books easily. Then I agonize if they are not finished and that ruins the entire experience for me.