Just finished First Law Trilogy

Nighteyes

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
I get that. it is quite logical. I am the same way, obsessing over great series. Right now im reading through wheel of time, I read the first 5 books some time ago, and stopped because it was unfinished. I reread the first 5 and am now up to 8, restarted because its finished. So, I definitely respect, and someehat share, your view on the subject of unfinished series, but lynch is just so gooood!

But one more thing I will say on the subject of abstaining from unfinished series. If everyone stayed away from unfinished series, than there would never be any finished series because reguardless of how good the books are, if no one reads them... see where im going?

I know that you are just one person and dont effect the sales or readership statistics as an individual, but there are a lot of people who think the same way.

Nighteyes

Im not ripping on you for not wanting to read unfinished series. Upon reading what I wrote after, I realize it could seem that way, but my intent was just to express a thought, not put you down in any way shape or form :)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
But one more thing I will say on the subject of abstaining from unfinished series. If everyone stayed away from unfinished series, than there would never be any finished series because reguardless of how good the books are, if no one reads them... see where im going?
Yeah imagine that xD
But I never proposed any totalizing policy that should be adopted by all readers. I only expressed my opinion and described how I behave. Same as you did.
It's a great thing none of us have any power on how all of the people should make their reading choices.

Oh I know you meant no such thing. My second post was to clarify my position more, not to justify it.

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
Im not ripping on you for not wanting to read unfinished series. Upon reading what I wrote after, I realize it could seem that way, but my intent was just to express a thought, not put you down in any way shape or form :)
I don't think you are Nighteyes but I agree with Alucard on this. There's so much good finished stuff out there to read that it makes a certain amount of sense to wait until the unfinished stuff if finished. Luckily not everybody does it that way. Hey, despite saying that I won't read uncompleted works I'm constantly breaking my own rules! So far, I'm one book into Raven's Shadow and one book into The Wild Hunt both of which are unfinished. Actually, thinking about it I still haven't finished WoT or The Broken Empire and started both of these two before they were finished.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Couple of days ago I also finished First Law Trilogy and I can understand why you got so excited about it. My favorite book of the series was book 2, Before They are Hanged. I really enjoyed all that journey there and back again ;)
One of my favorite things about this trilogy is that Abercrombie completely annihilated certain fantasy stereotypes. Just think of Bayaz the wizard(ok he's a magi whatever, same thing) and Gandalf for example. Or think of stereotypical high born hero and Jezal....It's pretty sweet when you think about it.
Other point, I really liked all of his male characters. They annoyed me, they surprised me, thrilled me...but never bored me. His female ones...I think they are ok, but he can do better. I felt like Ferro and Ardee were much shallower in comparison to Logen, Jezal, Glokta or West.
Speaking of major West, there is my favorite character. What can I say, I'm a sucker for tragic heroes/ antiheroes. I just love that stuff. (So happy BFB has a Best Antihero Fantasy list: http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-anti-hero-fantasy-books.html) Thanks guys <3:joyful:

Oh and for all of you Abercrombie fans here's a little treat. First Law is getting adapted into comic book! :wideyed: In case you didn't know...there are 3 volumes out. It's interesting to see all those characters in comic book form. Art style is pretty great though.
You can read them here:
http://www.firstlawcomic.com/page/1/
Hey Alucard, could you tell me what Happened to Collem West, I read it and I thought it was just vague:
No Spoilers Here

I found bayaz to be my favorite character, the man is just ruthless. and he always wins :D

about the comic: I was really surprised by how cool the spirits look! I didn't have that in mind at all; and the house of the maker is pretty great too, just this big, looming shadow. something from an apocalyptic past.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
about the comic: I was really surprised by how cool the spirits look! I didn't have that in mind at all; and the house of the maker is pretty great too, just this big, looming shadow. something from an apocalyptic past.
I know right! I never imagined them like that too. It's pretty rad :D And the house of a maker looks like a giant black meteorite or smth, I love it.
Anyway, what happened to West?
He was exposed to the effects of the Seed, and he has the sickness produced by it. He dies from it, although Abercrombie doesn't directly describe him dying. Last scene makes it pretty obvious though, when he comes to Glokta and brings "Pike" with him. He faints from the sickness, Jalenhorm carries him of, and Pike remains.

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
This is a good topic about reading or NOT reading unfinished books in a series, both points of view to me are both valid.

I have started both Scott Lynchs and Patrick Rothfuss books, and as much as I'd like them both to have been finished before I started reading them I just wanted to jump in there and read them because they both have had good recommendations on this site.

One of the draw backs for me is that I tend to forget things easily especially if there is a big cap between books, then again if the series is finished I wouldn't read the same books in a series back to back either I would move onto something else and come back to it later on.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
My favorite book of the series was book 2, Before They are Hanged
Same here. That book is one of my top 10 books from trilogies/series. FURIOUS!!!!!
Gutted he killed him off though.

I would say that I was indifferent with Best Served Cold, really liked The Heroes, and though Red Country was kind of a let down.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Wow. I loved every second of it. There weren't any parts that I wanted to skip like in ASOIAF. I am so glad I read this trilogy. Thank you guys for the amazing recommendation. So now I need a new book to read. I trust this community to give me something truly amazing again. My Kindle is recommends Prince of Thorns....haven't read anything about it yet. Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hey lil' sis. Welcome to the boards. Remember. Stick them with the pointy end.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
Yea, they really do need to be read in order of publishing. You could skip around, but Shivers in a good example of what you could miss.
I would second this. If you like the First Law trilogy, you will like his other three books, and they are definitely worth reading in the order of publication. The Heroes is my favorite of his, but they're all among my favorite books.

Zymologist

Its well known that mr Abercrombie holds a special place in my heart. You will never burn out on his stuff. Bsc was awesome, the heroes was a hell of a ride, and red country was great too. The man can do no wrong by me, but it seems that this has been well covered in this thread.

other than abercrombie, if your new to fantasy, you should really check out the lies of locke lamora by scott lynch. This is the perfect time to read that, and the sequel, ted seas under red skies, seeing as the long long long LONG awaited third installment of the gentleman bastard sequence is FINALLY coming out soon.

also check out the name of the wind by patrick rothfuss. That is the first book in the (hopefully) soon to be finished kingkiller chronicles. Quite the work of art.
I'm a fan of Abercrombie and Lynch, but I feel kind of alone in thinking that Rothfuss' books are overrated. They're good, and definitely worth a read, but I just don't see the "work of art" in them. To me, they feel like they really meander, and that they're more literary than plot- or character-driven, which I find annoying.

Does that mean I have bad taste?

Arya Stark

I think my hair needs a good old fashioned mussing :) and thanks! I joined a while ago but I'm really just getting into the forum. I'm really enjoying myself! Love being able to get input from some awesome people. As for weak female chargers I'll say this: Ferro was perfect. Ardee....ehhh I just didn't like her much. My favorite character though was absolutely Glokta followed directly by Logen. What amazing character developments! Plus I love how they aren't 100% evil or good. Oh and I hated Bayaz from the very beginning.

Nighteyes

Zymologist that does not mean you have bad taste. Not everyone sees things in the same light. I could play you an album by some death metal band that I beleive is one of the greatest albums ever recorded, and I can garentee that you would disagree with me :)

Your opinion is your own and anyone who doesnt respect it is an elitist asshole!

Nighteyes

Many people were not big fans of red country, but I loved it. Sure, I wasnt as good as heroes, but it was a great journey/adventure.

Zymologist

Zymologist that does not mean you have bad taste. Not everyone sees things in the same light. I could play you an album by some death metal band that I beleive is one of the greatest albums ever recorded, and I can garentee that you would disagree with me :)

Your opinion is your own and anyone who doesnt respect it is an elitist asshole!
That's cool and kind of funny, because I'm a metalhead myself. I listen to everything from power metal to folk metal, black metal, death metal, and doom metal.

What band?

Arya Stark

Dimmu Borgir? One of my favorites. Agree with Nighteyes though your opinion is yours. I couldn't get into the LOTR movies. I'm not even sure that I'd like the books. I'll give em a try one day though.

Nighteyes

At the gates - slaughter of the soul.

But I also love blind guardian, amorphis, ensiferum, eluveitie, moonsorrow, dark tranquillity, carcass, and elton john.

Nighteyes

This seems like a good topic for discussion, lets stop hijacking this thread. I made a new thread under the anything category for discussing metal and fantasy.