Just finished First Law Trilogy

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
At the gates - slaughter of the soul.

But I also love blind guardian, amorphis, ensiferum, eluveitie, moonsorrow, dark tranquillity, carcass, and elton john.
Haven't actually heard At the Gates; I will check them out. I'm there with you on Moonsorrow, great band.

Some of my favorites are Thyrfing (Viking metal), Scarab (death metal), Finsterforst (folk metal), Falkenbach (folk metal), Slechtvalk (black/Viking metal), A Hill to Die Upon (blackened death metal), and Antestor (black metal).

I think I derailed the thread. Hope nobody minds.

Edit: Saw your last post too late, Nighteyes. I'll move over to the other thread.

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
Just finished reading this trilogy as well and was about to create a new thread called "I Love Joe Abercrombie Because . . ." but this is probably better. lol. I was so delightfully surprised at how much I enjoyed this trilogy. It was talked up quite a bit on this forum and so, although I was looking forward to reading it, I secretly hoped I hadn't hyped it up too much for myself. There's nothing worse than reading a solid book and being disappointed because someone told you it was "absolutely, the best book, should win a pullitzer etc etc."

I think the best word I could use to describe the experience would be refreshing. It was just refreshing in so many ways. There was nothing tired about the writing style, the plot, the characters or the themes. Abercrombie pleasantly twisted every aspect just enough to make it thoroughly entertaining, and that's what we're are looking for, right?

Totally going to read the next three stand alones by Abercrombie next.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Just finished reading this trilogy as well and was about to create a new thread called "I Love Joe Abercrombie Because . . ." but this is probably better. lol. I was so delightfully surprised at how much I enjoyed this trilogy. It was talked up quite a bit on this forum and so, although I was looking forward to reading it, I secretly hoped I hadn't hyped it up too much for myself. There's nothing worse than reading a solid book and being disappointed because someone told you it was "absolutely, the best book, should win a pullitzer etc etc."

I think the best word I could use to describe the experience would be refreshing. It was just refreshing in so many ways. There was nothing tired about the writing style, the plot, the characters or the themes. Abercrombie pleasantly twisted every aspect just enough to make it thoroughly entertaining, and that's what we're are looking for, right?

Totally going to read the next three stand alones by Abercrombie next.
Yeah, that's why I think allot of us really dig on Abercrombie's style. He takes what you expect to see in a fantasy series and proceeds to warp it into a sometimes evil but mostly indifferent twin of itself. I have a hard time naming authors I enjoy more these days than Abercrombie.

I had a really hard time getting into the Blade itself when I first picked it up and to this day I'm still not entirely sure what made me keep putting it down and grabbing something else. I like to blame it on the early Jezeal chapters and the fact that I don't think I was prepared for what I was reading, lol.

Enjoy the stand alones, they're different than the First Law, but still unmistakeably Abercrombie and all well worth the read.

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I had a really hard time getting into the Blade itself when I first picked it up and to this day I'm still not entirely sure what made me keep putting it down and grabbing something else. I like to blame it on the early Jezeal chapters and the fact that I don't think I was prepared for what I was reading, lol.
Glokta's first chapter was terrible for me. I came very close to not giving it a second chance. By the end of the book he was my favorite character! I love how he makes these characters so raw and real. We all have a side of us that says "self-preservation first, think of no one else" and you don't see a lot of that nitty gritty real life thought process in too many characters. Abercrombie is such a breath of fresh air for me.

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
Glokta's first chapter was terrible for me. I came very close to not giving it a second chance. By the end of the book he was my favorite character!
I felt the same way with both of these characters at times. I was so annoyed with Jezal, at first, and kept wondering why he was even a POV, until I realized that he was supposed to annoy the reader - that was the point. He's that person you know who feels so entitled, you just want to smack him/her in the face.

As for Glokta, I love/hated him all the way through the book. I kept waiting for him to grow a conscience, because it does seem to appear frequently enough throughout the book, but I also love that Abercrombie made Glokta stick to his guns, even though it was hard to agree with him.

I think that's what is so refreshing about these books. You don't get the conclusions you want, just because it's what you want from the characters. They are who they are, take 'em or leave 'em, which is actually pretty realistic if you think about most of the population.

Arya Stark

You have to be realistic about these things, is what my father always told me. It's true...people don't generally change. If you're a narcissistic bastard chances are, you always will be. Very rarely do people have dramatic personality changes.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
Shoot! Guess this means I'm gonna have to read The First Law Trilogy sooner than expected. I really like being involved in discussions like this, but when I see a thread about a specific series I haven't read I usually stay clear away from it. Just broke my own rule! Ha ha ha.... Anyways, the endless praise of Joe Abercrombie on this forum has piqued my insatiable curiosity. I feel alone in the fact that I haven't read it yet. :( Will have to get ahold of a copy of The Blade Itself and then judge how great it.

Arya Stark

Certainly should read it. It was one of the first things recommended to me from the users here.

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
Shoot! Guess this means I'm gonna have to read The First Law Trilogy sooner than expected. I really like being involved in discussions like this, but when I see a thread about a specific series I haven't read I usually stay clear away from it. Just broke my own rule! Ha ha ha.... Anyways, the endless praise of Joe Abercrombie on this forum has piqued my insatiable curiosity. I feel alone in the fact that I haven't read it yet. :( Will have to get ahold of a copy of The Blade Itself and then judge how great it.
You're not the only one I have only read The Heroes, and I feel as if I'm missing out having not read any of his other books and he gets a lot of praise on this Forum !

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
Yeah, that's why I think allot of us really dig on Abercrombie's style. He takes what you expect to see in a fantasy series and proceeds to warp it into a sometimes evil but mostly indifferent twin of itself. I have a hard time naming authors I enjoy more these days than Abercrombie.

Enjoy the stand alones, they're different than the First Law, but still unmistakeably Abercrombie and all well worth the read.
I actually got into the trilogy immediately. It was only a matter of pages before I realized that Abercrombie's style was exactly what I had unwittingly been looking for for a long time. His later books only cemented that.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
isn't all that great. there said it!
Lol, he certainly isn't for everyone, I'm one of the first people to admit that.

I think that's what is so refreshing about these books. You don't get the conclusions you want, just because it's what you want from the characters. They are who they are, take 'em or leave 'em, which is actually pretty realistic if you think about most of the population.
That's one of the main complaints I hear about Abercrombie's books, I usually laugh and wonder if they read the same books I did. Don't expect fairy tales and puppies going into the First Law, chances are you're going to run into something fairly unlikeable pretty quickly.

You have to be realistic about these things, is what my father always told me. It's true...people don't generally change. If you're a narcissistic bastard chances are, you always will be. Very rarely do people have dramatic personality changes.
Exactly, lol.

Nighteyes

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Abercrobie will always have a big spot in my heart for opening the doors to so many other great fantasy books for me.