killing off main characters (spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by David Plantinga, Apr 3, 2017.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I was thinking about which characters deaths have impacted me the most. I think I'd go with (from WoT)
    Bela
    and from Gormenghast
    Fuschia

I loved that stupid
    pony

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Me too. Sad but the character didn't have long anyhow and the character died honorably!

As for Gormenghast, I quit after book one and saw the death when I looked at a summary. That surprised me...but on the other hand not at all. I've looked at plot summaries from lots of series I quit and feel I nade the right call for myself every time.

3. Noor Al-Shanti

Noor Al-Shanti Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg

Loving this HP character deaths discussion.

I think the main problem with those deaths mentioned isn't necessarily that they happened off-screen, because as someone mentioned above Harry couldn't be in all the different parts of the battle at the same time. It's also not really a big deal that they were "random" because she was trying to write a war and in a war people do die randomly. In my opinion the problem is that she didn't do the necessary work AFTER the battle to show us the reactions of other characters, the recovering-from-losses, the rebuilding.

The HP series definitely grew and matured with each book, but I think she went with the ending she had planned before she began the series and that really showed. She wrote a much more "mature" book 7, but the ending didn't fit with that. So it's not necessarily who she killed off or how they were killed, just the reactions to that. For example, I honestly didn't care one bit when Cedric died. I know she had been trying to build it up as a very emotional death and everything, but it really didn't do much for me. When I watched the movie, though, and saw Cedric's dad crying over his body saying "my son" THAT was impact. It didn't have to last very long or be done in a certain way, I just had to knoe how it affected another character. If she had done that for the deaths in HP then it would have worked.

And yeah, lol, what epilogue?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaden_Diamondknight

Jaden_Diamondknight A farm boy with a sword

I have always thought that one should only kill the main characters, if there's nothing else to write for that character or is holding back someone else that may come up with a different set of stories, characters and setting.

There's a thin line between a death that moves into a new story and a death used for sock value; A.K.A, an "edgy" death.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I don't think Jordan can be blamed though. I suspect that was all Sanderson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Darth Tater

Possibly. I considered that, but I dunno because my understanding is that his contract stipulated that he needed to stay exactly with Jordan's notes. But either way it was stupid, IMO. Plus Sanderson wrote at least 2 books and saved all that "stuff" for the last book, regardless.

7. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Yeah, but I think Sanderson had to flesh out the notes. There were some parts that were fully written iirc (like the Last Battle) though, so I could be wrong. In any case, I think you're right. It was handled stupidly. And not in line with how earlier deaths in the series were handled.

8. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

Somebody brought up Cedric. I'd forgotten about him, but I think that's one of the few deaths in the series that was handled well. The whole tournament/portkey scheme was stupid; as a teacher, the Moody-impersonator could have just made anything a portkey and demanded Harry picked it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Darth Tater

I really enjoy Sanderson but don't see him as a god, the big kahuna, greatest like some do. I think in the end the Stormlight series will define his place in history. Definitely in the hall of fame already, IMO .

• Like Like x 1
  10. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

I feel you probably have to give equal blame to Jordan and Sanderson for the way WoT ended (or praise if so inclined). Personally, re-reading this has nailed why I didn't enjoy the ending that much. The emotional heft wasn't there.

11. Mohammed Al Mulla

Mohammed Al Mulla Killed a Balrog

well.. it is very much depending on the skills of the author, for example, David Gemmell removed Druss the Legend.. the most lovable character and the main pillar of the story while being in the middle of the story.. yet, he was able to compensate with the rest of the characters.. allowed others to shine and more heroes to appear.. It also gave a good reflection over the Nadir's Chief as he participated in the funeral and announced his respect to the warrior Druss was.. however.. Other characters were actually very essential for the story line, such as Malus Darkblade.. he just impossible to kill, well, firstly due to his attachment with the Daemon, also, yet it was nearly impossible to find a character that would match his cunning mind and males way of manipulating things.. so you can imagine how i felt when he was killed in the last novel..