Kindle Prices, heading skyward again

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Apologies for the bump, but found this price and simply had to share it somewhere

£16.72 for a mid-lister's first Epic Fantasy.
Most likely a place holder price since the book isn't coming out until March next year. Check around January 2018, I'm 99% sure it's gonna be a normal price by then.
I don't know why publishing companies do this on amazon but I see this type of thing often.

Peat

Journeyed there and back again
Most likely a place holder price since the book isn't coming out until March next year. Check around January 2018, I'm 99% sure it's gonna be a normal price by then.
Maybe. I hope you're right. It is available for pre-order at that price though.

Even if it is just a placeholder, it is a very tone deaf placeholder.

David Sims

Warded demons with Arlen
I don't know why publishing companies do this on amazon but I see this type of thing often.
Because then they can add a line that says the price came down by a large percentage, thereby attempting to give the buyer the false impression that he is getting some sort of bargain.

Alucard

Staff member
Maybe. I hope you're right. It is available for pre-order at that price though.

Even if it is just a placeholder, it is a very tone deaf placeholder.
I agree. But I have a hunch that these prices are automatic and that people in charge of putting these listings up don't give a shit. Because no human would end a price of the book on .72

Alucard

Staff member
Because then they can add a line that says the price came down by a large percentage, thereby attempting to give the buyer the false impression that he is getting some sort of bargain.
Amazon isn't the one giving ok on bargain prices for ebooks though. I think that comes from publishing companies, who are btw still more interested in selling you paper over e-ink because the industry is run by dinosaurs.

jo zebedee

They don't have to have a high price to do that though - the ebook shows a discount based on the paperback price, not the kindle, anyhow

Matticus Primal

Amazon isn't the one giving ok on bargain prices for ebooks though. I think that comes from publishing companies, who are btw still more interested in selling you paper over e-ink because the industry is run by dinosaurs.
Which is why they're still using the dead tree edition pricing as the bookmark for electronic and audible prices.

Darth Tater

Rant!!!:mad:A bit off topic.

Why do roughly 1/3 of Kindle books lack page numbers (showing only percentages and "locations")? Is it the publishers fault? Is it laziness? I can figure it out as I go along with a calculator, after finding the total page count from other sources, but :finger: the (ir)responsible party. Blood and bloody ashes!!

Ryan W. Mueller

Why do roughly 1/3 of Kindle books lack page numbers (showing only percentages and "locations")? Is it the publishers fault? Is it laziness? I can figure it out as I go along with a calculator, after finding the total page count from other sources, but :finger: the (ir)responsible party. Blood and bloody ashes!!
Some of that likely comes from the fact that people can adjust font size in e-books. Because of that, you're going to end up with wildly different numbers of pages. There's probably some way to do it, but I haven't figured out how to do it in my own books.

rudyjuly2

I've only had one modern book do that to me. When Kindle first came out there were no page numbers because of the font and sizing issues. But they figured it out and I think any book released in the last 5 years (if not longer) should have page numbers. Maybe I'm mistaken but this shouldn't be happening with newer releases.

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

It's the new standard. I am not 100% sure of it, but if I am not mistaken it's even in the KDP guidelines - no page numbers in your self-published stuff. I certainly don't have page numbers in my non-fiction books, and I don't intend on putting any. You can adjust the font size, the clipboard width, the monitor/display size is different for every Desktop, the resolutions vary, etc. etc. Page numbers are a print utility, not an e-book one, at least with how the modern e-readers work. Unless you are reading a PDF, a navigable table of content in front is the best you'd get from now on.

I can actually get behind that. Formatting the books is pita as it is, if I've had to put page numbers in there too... that would've been unpleasant, learning-curve-plus-working-hours-wise.

Though I remember being slightly frustrated too by the lack of the page count like a decade ago when I've started with Kindle e-books for the first time. But you get used to it quite quickly.

For contrast with audiobooks you don't even get chapters Only chunks of 8-10 hours segments of a book, and if you miss a word you cannot really rewind less than a minute or two, since the file is so vast. I cannot even imagine what it is for the people who are listening on their phones... There you'd be lucky if you manage to rewind less than half an hour with your clicks... and more if your fingers aren't on the finesse side of things. :D

Darth Tater

I've only had one modern book do that to me. When Kindle first came out there were no page numbers because of the font and sizing issues. But they figured it out and I think any book released in the last 5 years (if not longer) should have page numbers. Maybe I'm mistaken but this shouldn't be happening with newer releases.

Either you’ve been really lucky. Or I’ve been really unlucky. I’m presently reading a book released 2/1/16 called “Friends Of The Dusk” by Phil Rickman and all it has is locations, time remaining in book, outdoor temperature, and other useless data. The percentage numbers on the right hand side are useful. Maybe it is better with the publishers who primarily stick to fantasy books? Regardless, it’s encouraging that overall the situation is improving.

Darth Tater

Either you’ve been really lucky. Or I’ve been really unlucky. I’m presently reading a book released 2/1/16 called “Friends Of The Dusk” by Phil Rickman and all it has is locations, time remaining in book, outdoor temperature, and other useless data. The percentage numbers on the right hand side are useful. Maybe it is better with the publishers who primarily stick to fantasy books? Regardless, it’s encouraging that overall the situation is improving.
Understandable. I’ve never really thought to much about the nightmares from the writer’s perspective.

It’s all very confusing. But when you go to buy the book on Amazon they almost always list the total pages (except the public domain, graphic,etc). Also, when you look for any book (sometimes it is listed by series) under “Goodreads editions” it shows you the differences in the print pages, Kindle book pages, publishers, etc. They are all different. Even when there are updates. I don’t know if I’m explaining it right but I don’t think I’ve ever come across a book where the page numbers weren’t listed.

I always just multiply out the percentages by the total number of pages Amazon claims the book has. Now, there is always the pitfall of including in that number excerpts from other books and that sort of stuff. But I’ve figured out how to account for that.

But the bottom line is that regardless of whether there are pages listed or not, it doesn’t influence my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of the book. That’s what counts!!