Kindle Prices, heading skyward again

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by David Sims, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

2. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Apologies for the bump, but found this price and simply had to share it somewhere

£16.72 for a mid-lister's first Epic Fantasy.

3. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Most likely a place holder price since the book isn't coming out until March next year. Check around January 2018, I'm 99% sure it's gonna be a normal price by then.
    I don't know why publishing companies do this on amazon but I see this type of thing often.

4. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Maybe. I hope you're right. It is available for pre-order at that price though.

Even if it is just a placeholder, it is a very tone deaf placeholder.

5. David Sims

David Sims Told lies with Locke

Because then they can add a line that says the price came down by a large percentage, thereby attempting to give the buyer the false impression that he is getting some sort of bargain.

6. Alucard

I agree. But I have a hunch that these prices are automatic and that people in charge of putting these listings up don't give a shit. Because no human would end a price of the book on .72

7. Alucard

Amazon isn't the one giving ok on bargain prices for ebooks though. I think that comes from publishing companies, who are btw still more interested in selling you paper over e-ink because the industry is run by dinosaurs.

8. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

They don't have to have a high price to do that though - the ebook shows a discount based on the paperback price, not the kindle, anyhow

9. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Journeyed there and back again

Which is why they're still using the dead tree edition pricing as the bookmark for electronic and audible prices.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Rant!!!:mad:A bit off topic.

Why do roughly 1/3 of Kindle books lack page numbers (showing only percentages and "locations")? Is it the publishers fault? Is it laziness? I can figure it out as I go along with a calculator, after finding the total page count from other sources, but :finger: the (ir)responsible party. Blood and bloody ashes!!

11. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Some of that likely comes from the fact that people can adjust font size in e-books. Because of that, you're going to end up with wildly different numbers of pages. There's probably some way to do it, but I haven't figured out how to do it in my own books.