Kindle Unlimited. Anyone still using it?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Apr 17, 2017.

1. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I am still paying the $9.99 a month and never using it because the myriad books are just not good enough to justify reading, even for free. There are so many good books with low starting prices that KU has become irrelevant. In the three or four years since they started KU and I signed up immediately, I've read three books. And that's not counting the Immortal Treachery which I buy instead of rent through KU.

I'm going to cancel my subscription.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tanniel

Tanniel Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Sometimes, too much choice can be as bad as not enough.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kenubrion

Yes, well said.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I never signed up because none of the first 10 or so books I searched for were available via KU. I tend to read mostly (but not exclusively) traditionally published authors from big five publishers, and those sorts of books just aren't there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kenubrion

Yes, I've decided that there is a stigma attached to the KU books. "We just can't get over the hump" admissions.

6. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Never used it. Pretty much same reasons as Sneaky already laid out.
    I was hopeful when they launched it, but quickly understood I'm not their target audience.

7. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Thanks for the guidelines above . . . I was wondering whether KU might be an effective alternative to spending more time marketing than writing - seems like it might actually have a negative effect!

8. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Yeah I thought about it once, but upon perusal of available titles, felt it would be a waste of money.

Audible, on the other hand, is excellent value for money, and I have no issues whatsoever paying the £7.99 per month subscription fee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

I've never picked it up as having a perceived negative effect any more than the customary (and shrinking) perceived negativity to indie authors. I did come out of KU briefly with Inish - and might again - but found the sales on other channels didn't even nearly match my readthroughs.

But, it's worth remembering kU is also used by Amazon prime members as well as those who purely take KU - which is another big market and one that are inclined to pick up readthroughs as they perceive it as added value, not a cost.

10. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I have Prime (US version) but I don't have access to Kindle Unlimited unless I pay separately for the KU subscription (well there is a one-month free trial that I haven't used). There is the Kindle Owners Lending Library that is free for Prime members that lets you borrow like one book per month that has some of the same titles as KU available.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

And I have Prime UK and don't have access to Kindle Unlimited without the separate subscription.

I've never had it, never been particularly interested.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

Ah, my bad. Perhaps Amazon were trying to bribe us during the free trial! :D

I think - for the author - it's no big deal. I get pretty much the same for a readthrough as a sale so the benefits in terms of supporting authors is limited.

As a reader, I only read ebooks if I must so have never had a subscription, nor would I.

13. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I'm not particularly interested in e-books, so this is not interesting for me at all.

14. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Journeyed there and back again

I came across this article a few days back about the behaviors of people on KU, and it was pretty fascinating. Turns out the folks on it are super readers (70%+ read more than 5 books a month) who have the highest chance of leaving reviews. Fantasy is also the second most popular genre (after romance... sigh).

Taking this, as well as the dearth of actual quality books in KU, I designed a new strategy which can be described as "be the best of the worst." Smartest kid on the short bus, if you will.

So I set up an Amazon ad campaign targeting the lists of top fantasy authors/ books on KU since people reading those would be predisposed to check out a self-published novel in the first place. Oddly enough, still no KU reads, though my sales have picked up somewhat.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

You might have better luck if you seed the people through tropes rather than genre/sub-genre.

Make some wordpress blog - if your book is about naval fantasy, write a top 10 naval fantasy list and put your book in 2nd, 3rd or 4th place. Then write reviews for your top 9 naval fantasy reads and put yours somewhere between them. FB ads + Amazon affiliate links. Done right, you'll get cheap traffic, enough affiliate earnings from the other 9 listings to cover your ad expenses and some sales to your own book.

If your book has а naval magical school for coming of age assassins - even better. Do one top 10 for each: naval, magical school, coming of age, assassins.

People like reading about stuff they like. If someone can give me the next Locke Lamora, Kingkiller Chronicles or Riyria Revelations for example, I'd be all in. If they know how to market it to me, that is.

Also - people really like top lists.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  16. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Journeyed there and back again

Listicles ain't a half bad idea, but I fear even if I keep the parameters of my list to subgenres that favor me, it's hard to add my own book to it. Sometimes I think I'd still come in second place in a category of books written by me with its exact title...

17. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

If you mean that you'd hesitate to put yourself between more well-known authors for reasons that have to do with morality or confidence, don't put the concept into that plain of thought.

Thinking of the other authors as competitors is not the right kind of attitude at all. Even the more laid out readers are usually going through one book per one or two weeks. So a person who likes Locke Lamora and continues with the series would have a reading material for 3 to 6 weeks. But a man has 52 weeks per year to think about and 3 Gentlemen Bastard books could only go so far. I should've probably used aSoIaF for this wordplay. Still - once a reader is done with the more established authors/series in the sub-genre he likes best, that person finds himself with the question of "Why aren't there more books like Locke Lamora?" And here comes your top 10 list. The people will either love your book or not, but you owe it to yourself to show it to them.

The only real competition for an author in the literary world are the incompetent authors, not the successful ones. Because the successful ones write books that keep the readers hungry for more books of a similar ilk, while the incompetent authors could make a reader scorn a genre, a trope or get tired of reading, which helps no one, really.

You'd also be giving 9 authors free paid advertising, which is something, even if they happen to be none the wiser for it.

18. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Readers should be mindful of this type of marketing though. In some cases I have found some great books that were marketed as "the next ASOIAF", but there are also some stinkers marketed as such, right @TomTB (coughDinosaurLordscough)?

• Like Like x 1