Kvothe. Do you like or dislike him ?

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
I have recently started reading the 2nd book and I'm about hundred pages in to it and I can't help but think that he just makes his own life a lot harder than it should be, he's over confident has a distinct lack of reading people and situations rubs people up the wrong way and wonders why he's having a hard time of it.

He's also in love with Denna and he does nothing about it (though she is just as bad as he is) why all the silly games, I may come across as not liking the book but it couldn't be further from the truth. It's one of the best written books I have ever read and I get a real enjoyment from reading it and even though I cant wait to see what happens next I also don't want it to end !

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I have recently started reading the 2nd book and I'm about hundred pages in to it and I can't help but think that he just makes his own life a lot harder than it should be, he's over confident has a distinct lack of reading people and situations rubs people up the wrong way and wonders why he's having a hard time of it.

He's also in love with Denna and he does nothing about it (though she is just as bad as he is) why all the silly games, I may come across as not liking the book but it couldn't be further from the truth. It's one of the best written books I have ever read and I get a real enjoyment from reading it and even though I cant wait to see what happens next I also don't want it to end !
I can't stand Denna, he should just drop her and move on. Guess he did (not spoiling anything as she doesn't seem to be anywhere around during the scenes where he's telling his story at the inn).

I mostly want to know how he goes from being the cocky young student to the innkeeper. I hope the transformation and change in fortune is as interesting as it is being set up to be.

I guess I can understand why he doesn't have the best people skills; some of his childhood experiences could account for that.

moonspawn

Thanks for creating this topic! You just gave me a good idea for a blog post comparing Kvothe to Ender called The Perfect Genus's in Literature. Honestly I didn't like Kvothe because on one hand he's this mega genius who succeeds at everything he does, but.... he is so naive, doing stupid things such as jumping off buildings because a mad lunatic told him to (learning to speak the name of the wind is no excuse). All that time he was alone with Denna I felt like screaming at the pages. YOU'RE ALONE WITH A HOT GIRL IN THE WILDERNESS! MAKE A MOVE! My rantings aside I thought Name of the Wind has some of the best written scenes I've read in any novel, but certain aspects of it really bothered me.

Amaryllis

I do like Kvothe. A lot of people harp on how 'perfect' he is, but the thing is, he isn't perfect. He's far from it. Maybe it's indicative of the kind of culture we live in that we see him that way because of one or two specific traits. As some people have already mentioned, he has a lot of personal problems, from being cocky, naive, etc. And it seems very genuine. He's clearly a genius, but he's also a child, and his development seems very consistent with that of a (generally good) child genius who essentially has no guidance and has to figure everything out for himself. Being intelligent doesn't make one immune to naivety, or impulsive decisions, or even a lack of basic common sense in some cases (in fact, brilliant people are famous for lacking it). His behavior in regards to Denna is also consistent with a naive young guy in the throes of his first love, who is trying really hard to be gallant. I assume that's even what's supposed to be intriguing about Kvothe. He's this super smart guy with a lot going for him, but he's also an idiot. I think we've all been in something similar to that situation at some point.

The ultimate point though, is that if Kvothe is a Mary Sue, then Patrick Rothfuss is not painting as glamorous a picture of himself as people seem to think.

Hand of Fear

Thanks for creating this topic! You just gave me a good idea for a blog post comparing Kvothe to Ender called The Perfect Genus's in Literature. Honestly I didn't like Kvothe because on one hand he's this mega genius who succeeds at everything he does, but.... he is so naive, doing stupid things such as jumping off buildings because a mad lunatic told him to (learning to speak the name of the wind is no excuse). All that time he was alone with Denna I felt like screaming at the pages. YOU'RE ALONE WITH A HOT GIRL IN THE WILDERNESS! MAKE A MOVE! My rantings aside I thought Name of the Wind has some of the best written scenes I've read in any novel, but certain aspects of it really bothered me.
No problem, glad I've given you something to think about ! I agree with Sneaky about Denna to, don't like her either Devi is a much more interesting person in the book.

How do you do a double quote on here ? Been bugging me for ages.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I honestly dislike Kvothe a bit, but Rothfuss' writing just keeps me engrossed in the story, it's kind of like watching a train wreck, you always know that disaster is right around the corner, but it's hard to look away. That being said, he's also one of the most compelling characters in fantasy for pretty much for the same reason. You hope he succeeds almost in spite of himself in as the story goes along but there is something coming that is going to happen that is going to turn him into Kote.

How do you do a double quote on here ? Been bugging me for ages.
Use the " icon in the top menu bar.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
It will be very interesting to find out how he ended up there, and I wonder how the stroy will continue afterwards.
Yeah, because it's easy to get caught up in the story of his youth and forget that some stuff is going down in the "present day" in those books, as well.

Hand of Fear

I'm not going to start a new thread so I will use this one, as it's kind of related. I'm almost done with book 2 but the series seems so far from being finished and Patrick Rothfuss only has one book left to finish his story.

So will he be able to finish it off in one more book ?

Obscenic

Told lies with Locke
I don't especially like Kvothe. Personally I don't think he and I would get along in real life. But I am highly intrigued by him as well as his story.

Kvothe seems almost a bit too perfect. Dazzling intellect, perfect memory, heart of gold, a charismatic personality, calm demeanor, quick on his feet and very clever (not Locke clever, but clever) and so forth.

It's an example showing that brilliant and realistic characterization isn't exactly required in a great book, at least to me. I think this is an outstanding book, overall. This site's Top 25 has not let me down, that's for sure.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Kvothe seems almost a bit too perfect. Dazzling intellect, perfect memory, heart of gold, a charismatic personality, calm demeanor, quick on his feet and very clever (not Locke clever, but clever) and so forth.
I think that is why I am so interested in finding out how he ends up as an innkeeper instead of doing something glorious and heroic for a living.

Hand of Fear

I have just read chapter one hundred and thirty nine and forty in The Wise Man's Fear, just when I thought Kvothe couldn't screw things up anymore than he has in the past he out does himself in a spectacular way.

I know he's young, rash and full of passion for who and what he his but why or why couldn't he keep his mouth shut !! Surely it wouldn't have been that hard.

Been along while that a book has brought these kind of feelings, he's quickly turning into someone I love to hate.

it's kind of like watching a train wreck, you always know that disaster is right around the corner, but it's hard to look away.
Perfect in every sense of the word.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
I'm not going to start a new thread so I will use this one, as it's kind of related. I'm almost done with book 2 but the series seems so far from being finished and Patrick Rothfuss only has one book left to finish his story.

Certainly he will:

Nikos4

Told lies with Locke

I am really puzzled over this since I finished Wise Man's Fear. There are just so many unanswered questions left, I don't think it's possible to contain it all in one book and not make a half-arsed job of it. We just have to wait and see.

Hand of Fear

I am really puzzled over this since I finished Wise Man's Fear. There are just so many unanswered questions left, I don't think it's possible to contain it all in one book and not make a half-arsed job of it. We just have to wait and see.
I read something on the internet based around the number of books left in which Patrick had to write to finish the story, which was one book. Kvothe is around the age of 17 during the end of the second book (though this age maybe different as he spent an unknown amount of time in the Fae). So it's hard to guess the actual age that he his when he's telling the story, I'd say he is atleast 20 or 30 years older.

Which either means he may not be able to finish the series in one more book, or there's going to be a big jump from one point in his life to another.

Hope this makes more sense.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
So it's hard to guess the actual age that he his when he's telling the story, I'd say he is atleast 20 or 30 years older.
I can buy that. I don't remember, though -- is there any indication in either of the published volumes of how long he's been running the inn?

Hand of Fear

I can buy that. I don't remember, though -- is there any indication in either of the published volumes of how long he's been running the inn?
I don't think it mentions it anywhere, I have a feeling that it may not been to long and that's just the impression I got when I read the two books.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Seems like my thoughts about Kvothe align with what most people already have brought up, i think Amaryllis summarized it well.
What im most interested in is what Sneaky Burrito said:
I think that is why I am so interested in finding out how he ends up as an innkeeper instead of doing something glorious and heroic for a living.
I've been itching to discuss a couple of things from both The name of the wind and Wise man's fear for a while but the threads where i posted them got buried so i'll kinda hijack the thread and ask them here...

The Chronicler mentions that the stories about kvothes trial were among the first stories he heard while attending the university as a new student. In The name of the wind when Kvothe first enters the archives he leaf through The Mating Habits of the Common Draccus. Wich The Chronicler wrote. Is this a timeline error..? Or maybe just that the chronicler attended univeristy after his studies about the draccus. Or maybe its just that he enrolled at an older age ?Do you guys remember in the name of the wind when Denna asks Kvothe and his friends about magic. And she kind of brings up a magic where you write stuff to make it happen. Like self fullfilling prophecies. And then in wise man's fear in the end how she knots her hair into yllish story knots. Kvothe noticed a few time how she wrote "lovely" and "don't talk anymore" or something like that. Was curious of what you guys thought.