Let's face it: GRRM is never going to finish aSoIaF

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Jul 11, 2017.

?

George Martin is never going to finish aSoIaF

1. Agree

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Disagree

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I honestly thought he died years ago

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Who? :p

3. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Yup. I agree with you Silv.
    At this point I don't really care anymore. I lost any love I had for his books. It's evident from the fact that I started A Dance with Dragons on June 5th, 2016 and I still haven't finished it.
    I'm not one of his readers who thinks I deserve anything more than what I paid for and I don't feel angry with him or jaded. He can do whatever he wants with years he has left on this planet, but to say that he's an unprofessional individual is to downplay it.

To put it simply, I now care about his books as much as he does about finishing them.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Slowly but surely I'm also moving in that direction. You know what strikes me as interesting about my feelings regarding this situation? I've experienced a "light"version of the 5 stages of loss ( Kübler-Ross model).

1. First I was in denial. Surely such a phenomenal author would finish his magnum opus. Wouldn't he? Sure he would! Or...o_O
    2. Next I became angry. I felt cheated. I started the series on the belief it would have a proper ending. I invested hours upon hours on the books and now I am left without a proper resolution! Argh!!! :mad:
    3. Then I entered the bargaining phase. Okay, he can write. Sure he can. He just has something else on his mind at the moment. If only he finds the time to sit behind his computer he'll have the series finished in no-time. (sometimes this line of reasoning led me back to step 2: rage):nailbiting:
    4. Depression set in after that. I'm never going to see the finished series. :depressed:
    5. Acceptance: I'm never going to see the finished series and I'm cool with that. Don't care anymore. :meh:

I think I'm between steps 4 and 5. Or I'm just an overly dramatic retard. Take your pick.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Alucard

Oh what a fantastic way to put it into perspective. You had quite a roller coaster of emotions there. I can't say I went through the same thing, because at A Feast for Crows I understood that he kinda wrote himself into a corner, or at least that he has no idea how to wrap this up. ASOIAF was originally planned as a trilogy so I think he suddenly found himself at a loss of what to do. Especially when the books exploded in popularity. He doesn't know how to deal with that. AFfC is objectively a terrible book compared to previous 3 books; it has forever tainted ASOIAF for me, so I stopped being so emotionally involved as you were, right there and then.

6. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I feel the same. In fact, I will not purchase anything he writes again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Yeah I'm with you all. But I will buy and read any more books if they come out.

8. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

I've been pushing an alternate justification for giving up on his books: the show will give us a complete storyline, now already in many places better than the novels, that will not be displaced as the canonical version by the books. The moment he agreed to allow screenwriters to finish his story (but not the written version, because he doesn't give a shit about his fans) for HBO before he could finish the written series, he put us down this path. Now that the show is further than the written story, GRRM's subsequent writing will be fan fiction.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

Well, he'll finish it (kind of), but not necessarily as books.
    The TV series seems to have taken over now, guess I will have to start watching that at some point in time...

10. Alucard

I was looking forward to GoT for the first few seasons when they were sticking closer to the books, but the further they moved away the less I've become interested. The writing is just not up to par for a lot of character arcs. The new and the last season is about to start, and a few days ago I mentioned this to my husband, to which he replied: 'Remember when we were looking forward to GoT?' to which I apathetically replied 'Yeah'.

I'm so over all of it guys. I'm glad it is ending and we will all get some closure on what happens to some characters we like, but for some reason I still feel this is an unsatisfactory way to end it.

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

From all I've heard from him and his fans, I think you're right.

Not sure if this is a rhetorical question or not. So tell me this, I've never read a single book. Am I truly better off than someone who is left in limbo?

12. Alucard

It depends on your approach to books in general I think.

If you're a completionist you are better off not reading his series because not being able to finish it will bother you.
    On the other hand, if you can draw enjoyment from single volumes and be satisfied with that, first 3 books of ASOIAF are amazing. Especially book 3.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

To be honest - I got so insulted by the 5th book( its poor quality after so much waiting for it to be published) that I stopped being excited about the series as a whole. Which is quite a good position, considering. If he published the 6th book and I manage to enjoy it - that would be great. But I am neither counting on it being published anytime soon, nor am I counting on it being an enjoyable read, so there's that.

I am also thinking that Patrick Rothfuss is deliberately riding the GoT TV-Show bandwagon by delaying the final book until the show ends or Winds of Winter gets published. At this point no other explanation really makes any sense - I get more and more convinced that he just likes the reflected fame he gets for being as lazy as G. R. R. Martin and his books constantly being included into "Martin and Rothfuss are lazy as f*ck" articles probably helps Rothfuss immensely for sales, so there ya go.

I mean G. R. R. Matrin and Patrick Rothfuss are either super lazy children of unmarried parents or they are both riding the TV Show marketing wave to its fullest.

And to be honest - neither of them has the character to fill the bigger shoes provided to them by their fame, so there's that. I cannot really blame them for being unprofessional, they just are, but at the same time this only increases my admiration for guys like Brandon Sanderson, who take their careers and fans seriously enough - those are the people who drive the fantasy genre forward anyways.

I just don't get why are people even bothering with Martin anymore... I remember him saying something like "I cannot write, because I am not home - they offered me a free trip to Dubai( for a TV interview or something) and who would turn down a free trip to Dubai"... He've earned 100mil. dollars from aSoIaF - if he doesn't respect his fans enough to turn down a trip to Dubai which he can easily afford himself at a time of his choosing, what are we even talking about...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

What is this shit? lol

15. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I'm pretty sure it's a roundabout way of calling them bastards.

16. Alucard

I always thought that a bastard is a rude ass way of calling somebody that doesn't know who his father is, not a child whose parents haven't signed on government required papers.

17. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Funny how attitudes have changed over the centuries. William of Normandy (foreigners please note: the guy who beat Harald and took the English throne in 1066) was known throughout Europe at the time as 'William the Bastard' (in whatever language was appropriate) because his parents were not, at the time, lawfully married. But in English schools he is 'William The Conqueror' or 'William the First'. Teachers aren't supposed to refer to him as 'William the Bastard' until the children they are teaching are age 16+.

18. Alucard

The attitudes have definitely changed worldwide, but also my perspective is a bit different to the English way of seeing things. Government approved weddings are something that was exclusive for city folk and since communism in old Yugoslavia. But there were, and still are a lot of people that are married by a priest or imam, that go on with their lives as married folks without a civil wedding. Rural population in particular has seen this kind of way of life since forever. Besides, out of wedlock arrangement is treated the same in law as marriage if people are living together for more than 3 years or if they have a kid together. And if you live together with someone, people treat you as if you are married in Balkan. In people's mind there is nobody that is living with girlfriend or boyfriend. Instead they treat you or any kid you have as a married couple. The papers don't matter in how either law or society sees you. If you split with somebody you lived with, it is seen as if you are divorced and carries a certain shame to it, which is dumb, but it's not because of papers.

The word for bastard is kopile. Which is actually two words ko (kao) which means like and pile which means little chicken.
    So it means like a little chicken. And like a little chicken it doesn't know who his father is. On the other hand all little chickens know who their mother hen is.
    If the people are unmarried, living together, or separated but the kid knows who his dad is, he is not a bastard/kopile. Only kids who don't know their fathers are bastards in Balkan.

But it's a very rude thing to say to a kid and no decent human would use that in actual conversation.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  19. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Since we are on a thread about GRRM, Jon Snow and Ramsay Snow/Bolton were both bastards who knew (or thought they knew, and in Ramsay's case were acknowledged) who their fathers were. Same with Oberyn Martell's kids. And then there were all of Robert Baratheon's bastard children. Etc.

Anyway, according to the dictionary app on my Mac:

1 archaic or derogatory a person born of parents not married to each other.

20. Alucard

Now that you say that Sneaky I can see that concept of bastard is completely different in our languages, and it's not enough for me to just put a = sign between kopile and bastard.

But in Jon's case
    He doesn't know either of his parents.