• Spy, traitor, soldier, savior

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Treachery wove them together; the truth may tear them apart

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Magic, muskets, civil war, and the branded woman at the center of it all

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Hate is easy, love hard, and indifference the most difficult

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glass daggers, muskets, psychic exoskeletons, and the traitorous spy at the center of it all

• Spy, traitor, soldier, wastrel; only she can stop a second civil war

• Want your magic with a steaming side of muskets?

• A branded spy with no place for her to hide

• Total voters

Matticus Primal

Journeyed there and back again
I need a tagline for my novel and wanted to poll the community as to which potential ones are the strongest/ most intriguing. Despite my initial impulse to include info as to what I'm trying to get across with these taglines, I decided not to include any context since audiences don't really get any when they encounter taglines.

And yes, some of them repeat phrases because I can't decide which one is better. So please let me know if there are any that tickle your fancy. Or should I say "tickle your fantasy?"

Oh, and feel free to vote for your top three since that's the magic number I need.

Kalavan

Definitely number 3. And congratulations on landing a deal with Harlequin Books ;)

Jokes aside, I would probably modify a bit the fourth option: Magic, muskets, exoskeletons, and the cunning (or whatever applies, I don't like that branded) woman at the center of it all

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I like n 1. It is brief and visually strong despite the "dead eyes"

Matticus Primal

Definitely number 3. And congratulations on landing a deal with Harlequin Books ;)

Jokes aside, I would probably modify a bit the fourth option: Magic, muskets, exoskeletons, and the cunning (or whatever applies, I don't like that branded) woman at the center of it all
I like n 1. It is brief and visually strong despite the "dead eyes"
I actually did include some generic/ romance-y ones that have nothing to do with the book to see how they play. Also, I randomized their order by actually breaking out my old ten-sided die.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like something short and sweet, something punchy, so went with the first 2, with #3 as a backup :)
#2 would be my top pick though.

Diziet Sma

I actually did include some generic/ romance-y ones that have nothing to do with the book to see how they play. Also, I randomized their order by actually breaking out my old ten-sided die.
You little devil...:banghead:

Matticus Primal

You little devil...:banghead:
My wife works in education assessment testing, so I know a few tricks. And if she saw this little survey she might be worried that it's only the top three that are getting any votes; almost as if people are only paying attention to the top choices. Or maybe I'm just projecting as to what she would think...

Diziet Sma

My wife works in education assessment testing, so I know a few tricks. And if she saw this little survey she might be worried that it's only the top three that are getting any votes; almost as if people are only paying attention to the top choices. Or maybe I'm just projecting as to what she would think...
You are absolutely right! This is an old trick. I should have known better. Also, far too many choices, some of them rather long. Your eyes tend to "prioritize" and focus on only a couple: the more eye catching ones while dismissing the rest.
Next time you post a survey, I'll be definitely more suspicious! :)

Matticus Primal

You are absolutely right! This is an old trick. I should have known better. Also, far too many choices, some of them rather long. Your eyes tend to "prioritize" and focus on only a couple: the more eye catching ones while dismissing the rest.
Next time you post a survey, I'll be definitely more suspicious! :)
It is always wise to be suspicious of educators and their spouses. Wait, what do you do for a living again?...

Cephalophore

A farm boy with a sword
I chose the first one! It's short and punchy and makes me wonder about what's going on with the dead eyes seeing things. But pretty much all of them are quite intriguing.

I've noticed that mentioning muskets (or cannons, artillery, etc) is always a handy method to tell people that the story isn't a traditional swords-and-shields fantasy.

Matticus Primal

I chose the first one! It's short and punchy and makes me wonder about what's going on with the dead eyes seeing things. But pretty much all of them are quite intriguing.

I've noticed that mentioning muskets (or cannons, artillery, etc) is always a handy method to tell people that the story isn't a traditional swords-and-shields fantasy.
Yeah, the mention of muskets was intentional to orient the audience that this was a gunpowder fantasy series. Can't tell if people haven't caught on or just don't care. But thanks for the vote and feedback.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, the mention of muskets was intentional to orient the audience that this was a gunpowder fantasy series. Can't tell if people haven't caught on or just don't care. But thanks for the vote and feedback.
I imagine your cover will have some sort of gunpowder weapon on it? Most do. Then would there be any point mentioning it in the tagline? (no!)

Matticus Primal

To update: I ended up going with the top four, which were the only ones that had any votes.

Oddly enough, the top choice (dead eyes see all) was a generic one that has tangential (at best) application to the book (the protag is often referred to having the eyes of a dead man), but if it's what grabs attention, then I'm all for it.

Thanks all.