Literary Fantasy - do you read it?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by D.N.Frost, Apr 19, 2017 at 5:31 PM.

1. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I agree with Peat on this one. I'd also call it a good Epic Fantasy. And as stated by some others before, the label "literary fantasy" sounds inherently snobbish. I'd be hesitant to pick up a book that is labeled as such.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Yes I did, it's awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Ehhh, it was passable enough, but it's more poking at his delays with the (purported) third book.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

@Elvira - I think it's fine to differ on inclusion. It's a fine line.

@Peat - I would never have picked Deptf0rd up except that a friend handed me it with a 'read it, you won't regret it' command. And I did. And I never have, nor have I ever forgotten it, although, oddly for me, I've never wanted to reread it. It's in my head, and doesn't need to be revisited.

• Like Like x 1
  5. D.N.Frost

D.N.Frost A Muggle

THIS. My whole confusion with the term "Literary Fantasy" was that...well...why is it even a thing? If we're applying the word "literary" to genre writing to convey that it is well-written (as the definition implies) then...using the term "Literary Fantasy" communicates, "My writing is better than average - or at least I think it is." The pretentiousness shines through. And if no one is out there deliberately searching for Literary Fantasy as its own genre, then what's even the point?

This also makes sense to me. Perhaps instead of re-branding my epic fantasy adventure as "Literary Fantasy" I should simply cross-index the book. For now at least, I'll use "Epic Fantasy" as my main genre, and "Literary Fiction" as my secondary genre - because honestly, "Literary Fantasy" isn't marketable to either group of readers, and yet my book would be at home on Literary shelves as well as Fantasy ones.

Thanks again, y'all.