Liveship Traders <> Kingkiller Chronicle

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by WestOfJanuary, Feb 15, 2017.

1. WestOfJanuary

WestOfJanuary Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I am reading "The Liveship Traders" books bei Robin Hobb and just stumbled over a line about a magic gimmick

Grag Tenira hides in a cabin and is notified of people coming over a bridge by a small "sympathy bell" which is connected to a larger bell in his cabin.

Did Patrick Rothfuss really borrow (steal?) his idea for sympathy magic from Robin Hobb?
    Did anyone else notice that or anything similar?

2. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I doubt it, this concept appears in a wide variety of authors works. There's a Brandon Sanderson book called the emperors Soul which deals with a similar ( not exact) magic device.

There's also a spell set in D&D that deals with sympathy magic in a published book decades ago.

In the hogfather they use sympathy magic on pieces of children ( teeth) to control their beliefs. They even call it sympathy magic

I have a feeling this goes back much further, voodoo, some Celtic myths.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  3. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 A Poet of the Khaiem

No way of knowing. The term 'sympathy' might be a hint - but even then, not a strong one. This form of magic (basic summary "Like to Like, Part to Whole") goes back at least to mediaeval England, maybe lots further - I have made use of it myself. In formal discussion, it is referred to as 'Sympathetic magic'.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

Yeah, I'd read about sympathetic magic before KKC in other contexts. Another example would be voodoo dolls.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Who do?

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I came across it in the Lightbringer series. I was like "Ohhh...I know what this is" :cool: (from reading KKC).

7. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

In his recent Q&A he was asked a similar thing about his naming magic and the Earthsea books. He answered that his magic might be similar to other authors' magic system not because he was necessarily inspired by them, but because they have all researched the same myths, legends, cultures and such, they all ended up using the same source material as foundation for the different magic systems, which end up kind of similar in the end.

Basically - what some people have already mentioned in the previous replies.

I guess it's kind of nice that I am from a country with relatively unexplored in that regard lore, so that some aspects of my works could be inspired by it without becoming too similar to already existing works.

But at the same time most myths are addressing the same things, each dressed in a different clothes, but underneath - a myth influenced by other, previous myths. So there's that.

8. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

What country,?
    Did you add to the literature from every country thread?

9. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I am from Bulgaria. A small, but beautiful country, residing somewhere in the middle of "no one gives a ... about". :p

I haven't been aware of the thread, but I have added my contribution to it now, thanks for letting me know. :)