Long Series Recommendation

Annomander Matt

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
It's hard to believe, but in 4 short years since I started reading fantasy I've gotten to the point where it is difficult for me to pick my next series. This is is mainly because:

I've learned my tastes. I've literally only not liked one series thus far due to very selective choosing.
I've learned my deficiencies. Reading a series as the books are released is a no no. My memory is like that of a fruit fly, so I gots to devour the series all at once.

This has lead to there currently being on my shelf 2 books from Hobb's new series, 2 from Lawrence's, 2 from Staveley, 3 from Gwynne, 5 Witcher, 4 Dagger and Coin, etc. The good news is within the next year or so these will all be complete. Bad news is once I finish Ketty Jay this week I'm out of completed series. Yes, I could easily find a new trilogy, but I'm thinking I'd like to immerse myself in a new world of, say, 6 or more books to tide me over until a coupler of the series above are done.

So that's the back story and I'm hoping there are some good long series out there I've missed. I generally like coming of age, magic, likeable characters, swords over guns (but did enjoy powder mage, Thousand names, and enjoying Ketty Jay), complex stories, Gods involvement, etc. I'm NOT a huge fan of the pre 90's style of simple fantasy, but I might be willing to give a series a go.

But I'm not being selfish (at least not completely lol), and am going to provide my recommendations as well! This is based on at least 6 books (not including very short stories) in a single world (even if the different series within said world barely connect):

* Malazan - 20+ books (10 in the main sequence, 7 ICE, couple other stories) - Best of best, my number one series overall. Great characters, many races, complex storylines, some coming of age, gods interacting with the plot, crazy magic, great prose...I could go on and on.

* Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings - 16 books in the form of 4 trilogies (one last book being released this year) and a quartet - Nobody does the emotional anguish game like Hobb. Fitz is an iconic character in the fantasy genre, but man has he had it tough lol. The 7 books taking place on the other side of the realm from Fitz are great, and slowly become connected to Fitz's story.

Wheel of Time - 15 books including New Spring - One of the classics. I personally loved it while reading it despite some of its flaws. Sanderson finished it like a champ in my opinion and I feel everyone should try to read it at least once.

Godling Chronicles - 6 Books - Did you like Wheel of Time but thought the women were poorly written, the main characters annoying, too many characters to keep track of, and that it was about 4 books too long? Then you might like this series. It starts off as a classic coming of age, farmboy hero, dark evil, etc, but by book 3 really starts delving into a cool back story and world building. Nothing too fancy in the prose or complex in the story, but for some reason I really liked it.

Codex Alera - 6 books - I'll just say it, I loved this. I'm just a sucker for coming of age and likeable characters. Really hoping Butcher hits up this world again.

Chronicles of Amber - 10 books, although the word count is like one Stormlight book lol - This was a fun ride on an acid trip lol the interplay of the princes was my favorite part. That and the fact that when on earth the book takes place in the Bay Area :)

Riyria Revelations/Chronicles - 9 books total - One of my favorite series. Royce and Hadrian are my favorite fantasy duo this side of Bugg and Tehol. Fun, if simple story, and if you add in the chronicles books (which I think you should), the story keeps getting better.

First Law Trilogy/Standalones - 6 books - The original GrimmDark. I thought the trilogy was OK personally, but not the biggest fan of two of the 3 stand alones. Just not many likeable characters, but I do get the appeal of these books to the others.

Long Series Already purchased and waiting for completion:

Witcher - I have 5 books on the shelf and waiting for the last translation.

Waiting for the last book in the second trilogy in Lawrence's world (forget the world's name offhand, call it new Europe lol), have two on the shelf.

Contemplating Buying:

The Drizzt stuff. Would have to get my head around the reading order, and I've heard there are a lot of annoying characters, but I'm running out of options lol

Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts. Not gonna lie, I've definitely judged a book by it's cover. My sister bought me 3 books in this series 3 years ago, and I've just had no desire to start it. Looks like a fantasy romance novel from the cover lol Anybody read these?

Thanks for any recommendations you can provide!

Sirl19

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Have you tried The Death Gate Cycle, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman? 7 books around 500 pages each. Epic fantasy (the usual: elves, humans, dwarves, and some surprise along the way).

I believe I was too young the first time I tried and I had to put them down, but a few years later I started over and really enjoyed them. The first four books are almost independent stories with diferent characters, but around the end of the fourth you start seeing the conexion. And the last three finally take the original characters back and pick up the pace.

I can think of some other series, but either they are in Spanish or they ar not exactly Fantasy.

Hope this helps. By the way, I'm gonna pick a few series of the ones you mention. I usually prefer series since standalone random books don't last near enough time for me :D

khrm

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Try Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, and Shadowmarch. I think these two might suit you. Former is better than latter in my humble opinion. Tad Williams is better writer than many current authors.

If finish with these, then you can try David Anthony Durham's Acacia.

And then there are some Trudi Canavan's work which fit your criteria. But I dunno whether you will like it or not.

Waiting for the last book in the second trilogy in Lawrence's world (forget the world's name offhand, call it new Europe lol), have two on the shelf.
Which series?

Last edited:

Annomander Matt

Try Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, and Shadowmarch. I think these two might suit you. Former is better than latter in my humble opinion. Tad Williams is better writer than many current authors.

If finish with these, then you can try David Anthony Durham's Acacia.

And then there are some Trudi Canavan's work which fit your criteria. But I dunno whether you will like it or not.

Which series?
Just looked and it's the Red Queen's War trilogy, same world as Prince of Thorns.

Thanks for the recommendation! I've been a little wary of Williams since that second trilogy is almost universally considered of lesser quality, but I have it in my TBR :)
I've read Acacia and I liked it a lot.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I can recommend the Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliot. A solid, fun series in my opinion.

ReguIa

Journeyed there and back again
You said you liked the way Sanderson ended The Wheel of Time. Have you read anything else by him? You never mentioned any in your list. His Mistborn trilogy is a finished series.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
His Mistborn trilogy is a finished series.
The first Mistborn trilogy is finished. The second one is still ongoing (and there's a third one in the planning). However, the first trilogy can be read as a standalone.

@Annomander Matt : have you read ASOIAF by GRRM?

Sirl19

The first Mistborn trilogy is finished. The second one is still ongoing (and there's a third one in the planning). However, the first trilogy can be read as a standalone.

I defenitely recomend Mistborn, but careful with Martin, he might not finish ASoIaF in a long time... if he even finishes it at all. Not trying to start any argument in here, I've seen a few posts on this already. But if you prefer already finished series... This one is not for you.

Enviado desde mi XT1039 mediante Tapatalk

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I defenitely recomend Mistborn, but careful with Martin, he might not finish ASoIaF in a long time... if he even finishes it at all. Not trying to start any argument in here, I've seen a few posts on this already. But if you prefer already finished series... This one is not for you.

Aah, that's right. Forgot that requirement. Sirl is right, it's unfinished as of yet.

Annomander Matt

You said you liked the way Sanderson ended The Wheel of Time. Have you read anything else by him? You never mentioned any in your list. His Mistborn trilogy is a finished series.
Oh yeah I've read the original Mistborn and loved it, thought alloy of law was good, and waiting for the 3 book in the official Wax and Wayne Trilogy to be released before starting it ( books one and two on the shelf, should've mentioned that).

Annomander Matt

Have read ASOIF, and loved the first 3 books and thought 4 and 5 were OK. Honestly, despite the fact I'm going to buy and read Winds of Winter, I'm pretty much riding with the show at this point. Also watching Shannara so won't bother reading that lol

ReguIa

waiting for the 3 book in the official Wax and Wayne Trilogy to be released before starting it ( books one and two on the shelf
I'm doing the same. The Wax n Wayne books individually aren't doing it for me. I've read Shadows of Self but now I'm waiting with Bands until the last is out.

Sirl19

Have read ASOIF, and loved the first 3 books and thought 4 and 5 were OK. Honestly, despite the fact I'm going to buy and read Winds of Winter, I'm pretty much riding with the show at this point. Also watching Shannara so won't bother reading that lol
4 and 5 of ASoIaF were soo slow. I'll probably read the rest, but I'm so tired of the series by now.

Started reading Shannara when I heard about the show, but either the writing is horrible or the translation is, I had to put it down. I hate not finishing what I've started, but seriously, it was awful.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
tarted reading Shannara when I heard about the show, but either the writing is horrible or the translation is, I had to put it down. I hate not finishing what I've started, but seriously, it was awful.
My advice is: don't continue it. The series is horrendous. The worst fantasy series I've ever read (I plowed through 3 books until I realized I was just torturing myself).

Sparrow

My advice is: don't continue it. The series is horrendous. The worst fantasy series I've ever read (I plowed through 3 books until I realized I was just torturing myself).

That's what I tell people who're considering the Shannara books... imagine a brain damaged JRR Tolkien writing an epic fantasy tale, that's what you get with Shannara.

Sirl19

Thanks, now I feel a lot better :)

Maark Abbott

Malazan is the big one. Like you said, ten main sequence, six ICE in the 'Empire' series, the five Bauch and Broach novellas, and then the Kharkanas and Path to Ascendancy trilogies that are forthcoming. Loooooootta stuff.

Wheel of Time is worth a read but be prepared for it to bog down in the middle.

kenubrion

I second Silvion's rec of the brilliant Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott. Also Glen Cook's Dread Empire, which is better than Black Company IMO. Think outside the usual box.

Maark Abbott

I second Silvion's rec of the brilliant Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott. Also Glen Cook's Dread Empire, which is better than Black Company IMO. Think outside the usual box.
I've only read book 1 of Crown of Stars, but I did very much enjoy what I saw.