Long Series Recommendation

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Interested to hear what you guys like about Crown of Stars. The ratings on Goodreads aren't great and the short back cover description didn't grab me, but I'd love to hear more.
There are a number of things the author does really well. She's well read and knows her history. As the story is set in an alternative fantasy version of medieval Europe, this is very important. I thought it worked very well. Then there's the characterization. It's not unlike Hobbs. You only get a small number of POV characters, but those are very well written. My personal favorite is Alain. Can't explain without spoiling, but his is one of the best character arcs I've ever seen. Also, the magic system is very cool. It's based on Kabalistic rituals, geometry and astrology. Last but not least, Hugh, the main antagonist, is a very interesting and... well, human, villain. This is definitely not your typical over-the-top Dark Lord. It's just this guy, you know? Like you and me. But with messed up motivations. The relationship between him and the main female protagonist is done really well.

Now, I personally preferred the first 3-4 books over the final installments of the series. Still, I thought it was a solid reading experience nonetheless.

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
Interested to hear what you guys like about Crown of Stars. The ratings on Goodreads aren't great and the short back cover description didn't grab me, but I'd love to hear more.

Also, any insight from anyone about the Drizzt novels? Looks to be about 20+ books which would be a good way to kill some time so that 6 of my series can complete lol
It does begin with a somewhat 90s tone, however I think it's the proto-grimdark feel that sucked me in. It was tonally similar (though very different in premise) to Freda Warrington's 'Blackbird In...' sequence, which were some of the earliest dark fantasy works I read (and are due for a re-read at some stage).

Kalavan

Also, any insight from anyone about the Drizzt novels? Looks to be about 20+ books which would be a good way to kill some time so that 6 of my series can complete lol
Simplicistic and juvenile, if you're looking for a mindless hack-n-slash reading I guess they could be mildly entertaining, at least The Dark Elf Trilogy, which I kinda liked as a teen, as for the following books I'd rather suggest you The DemonWars Saga, Dragonlance - both of which I'm definitely not a fan - or I'll second the suggestion for the much more original and interesting Death Gate Cycle

Maark Abbott

There are a number of things the author does really well. She's well read and knows her history. As the story is set in an alternative fantasy version of medieval Europe, this is very important. I thought it worked very well. Then there's the characterization. It's not unlike Hobbs. You only get a small number of POV characters, but those are very well written. My personal favorite is Alain. Can't explain without spoiling, but his is one of the best character arcs I've ever seen. Also, the magic system is very cool. It's based on Kabalistic rituals, geometry and astrology. Last but not least, Hugh, the main antagonist, is a very interesting and... well, human, villain. This is definitely not your typical over-the-top Dark Lord. It's just this guy, you know? Like you and me. But with messed up motivations. The relationship between him and the main female protagonist is done really well.

Now, I personally preferred the first 3-4 books over the final installments of the series. Still, I thought it was a solid reading experience nonetheless.
If he gets a lance through the face then you bloody well tell me. I don't care about spoilers. I just want Hugh to DIE.

Maark Abbott

I'm not kidding. He's a Bidithal-grade doucheknuckle and if he gets it I want to know so I can just read the scene over and over and over and over. Ten seconds is the window.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm not kidding. He's a Bidithal-grade doucheknuckle and if he gets it I want to know so I can just read the scene over and over and over and over. Ten seconds is the window.
To be honest, I can't rightly remember how he gets his come-uppance (and if he does). It's been so long ago. Perhaps @kenubrion can tell you.

Maark Abbott

To be honest, I can't rightly remember how he gets his come-uppance (and if he does). It's been so long ago. Perhaps @kenubrion can tell you.
I mean I don't think his (potential) demise could ever top 'things Karsa may do to you if you nark him off number 88*' but I still hope it's messy.

*ripping your balls off with his bare hands and forcing them down your throat so you choke on them.

kenubrion

I mean I don't think his (potential) demise could ever top 'things Karsa may do to you if you nark him off number 88*' but I still hope it's messy.

*ripping your balls off with his bare hands and forcing them down your throat so you choke on them.
That's it, Maark. You nailed it and it was so satisfying.

Please refer to Silvion's synopsis for Crown of Stars info. I was going to say I liked it because it has horsies and doggies. Nice little doggies.

It's a full blown epic fantasy of huge scope and complexity with original characters and a unique storyline. It's much more approachable than Malazan. It's a clear and straightforward read. The women are the strongest I've ever read, as warriors as well as rulers, and they lead everyone in all the sequences, except for Alain's battles and storyline. It's one of the great epic fantasies and since it's not widely read, seems like a nice secret only a few of us know about.

Annomander Matt

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
Simplicistic and juvenile, if you're looking for a mindless hack-n-slash reading I guess they could be mildly entertaining, at least The Dark Elf Trilogy, which I kinda liked as a teen, as for the following books I'd rather suggest you The DemonWars Saga, Dragonlance - both of which I'm definitely not a fan - or I'll second the suggestion for the much more original and interesting Death Gate Cycle
Disappointing to hear about Drizzt, but thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely into more complex tales most of the time, although directly after readng something like Malazan, ASOIF, etc I do sometimes need a break lol. Maybe in a few years when I'm getting REALLY desperate for a new series I'll give it a whirl.

I've added Death Gate Cycle to my list! Thanks!

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
You said long series and nobody in this thread has said Riftwar Cycle yet? Parts of this series are (or have been at one point) on the top 25 series list. It's huge- and it's completed.

The Riftwar Saga (top quality)
  1. Magician (1982), later republished in two parts in the United States as Magician: Apprentice (1986) and Magician: Master (1986)
  2. Silverthorn (1985)
  3. A Darkness at Sethanon (1986)
The Empire Trilogy (Top quality)
  1. Daughter of the Empire (1987) with Janny Wurts
  2. Servant of the Empire (1990) with Janny Wurts
  3. Mistress of the Empire (1992) with Janny Wurts
Krondor's Sons (entirely skippable in my opinion)
  1. Prince of the Blood (1989)
  2. The King's Buccaneer (1992)
The Serpentwar Saga (Fair, but required reading to continue the series)
  1. Shadow of a Dark Queen (1994)
  2. Rise of a Merchant Prince (1995)
  3. Rage of a Demon King (1997)
  4. Shards of a Broken Crown (1998)
The Riftwar Legacy (entirely skippable in my opinion)
  1. Krondor: The Betrayal (1998)
  2. Krondor: The Assassins (1999)
  3. Krondor: Tear of the Gods (2000)
  4. Jimmy and the Crawler (2013) - a novella replacing the cancelled novels Krondor: The Crawler and Krondor: The Dark Mage.
Legends of the Riftwar (entirely skippable in my opinion- everything after this trilogy is required reading, in order)
  1. Honoured Enemy (2001) with William R. Forstchen
  2. Murder in LaMut (2002) with Joel Rosenberg
  3. Jimmy the Hand (2003) with S. M. Stirling
Conclave of Shadows (Maybe the best sub-trilogy in the series)
  1. Talon of the Silver Hawk (2002)
  2. King of Foxes (2003)
  3. Exile's Return (2004)
The Darkwar Saga (Solid)
  1. Flight of the Nighthawks (2005)
  2. Into a Dark Realm (2006)
  3. Wrath of a Mad God (2008)
The Demonwar Saga (Fair to good)
  1. Rides a Dread Legion (2009)
  2. At the Gates of Darkness (2010)
The Chaoswar Saga (Fair to good- I have not read Magicians End yet, shockingly, but it's on my TBR pile)
  1. A Kingdom Besieged (2011)
  2. A Crown Imperiled (2012)
  3. Magician's End (14 May 2013)

Also, while not completed, The Dresden Files is getting pretty long as far as book count is concerned.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Oh, also, there are some folks that dig Thomas Covenant, which is a somewhat lengthy, completed series.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever
  1. Lord Foul's Bane – (1977)
  2. The Illearth War – (1978) ("Gilden-Fire" - first published 1981)[1]
  3. The Power that Preserves – (1979)
The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
  1. The Wounded Land – (1980)
  2. The One Tree – (1982)
  3. White Gold Wielder – (1983)
The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
  1. The Runes of the Earth – (2004)
  2. Fatal Revenant – (2007)
  3. Against All Things Ending – (2010)
  4. The Last Dark – (2013)

Belg

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Here are some completed series you may want to give a shot.

1. Daniel Abraham - Long Price Quartet (4 Books)
2. David Gemmell - Drenai Saga (11 Books)
3. Mark Lawrence - Broken Empire (3Books)

Khartun

Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts. Not gonna lie, I've definitely judged a book by it's cover. My sister bought me 3 books in this series 3 years ago, and I've just had no desire to start it. Looks like a fantasy romance novel from the cover lol Anybody read these?
I have not read this yet but I have the first couple on my phone. I plan on reading this series this year. I've heard it is on the level of Malazan in its depth and complexity. I have not heard at all that it is romance. One interesting thing about Janny is she is an artist as well and paints her own covers. I don't know if she did these specifically but I bet she did.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member