Looking for a classic fantasy adventure with trolls, giants, witches, and magic items!

Darwin

Journeyed there and back again
Kings of the Wyld has an exceptional amount of traditional monsters and a very favorable ratio of quests and adventures to battles.

kenubrion

Lots of war is unfortunately what I'm trying to avoid. I much prefer the questing/adventuring side of things.
Since we aren't getting anywhere in trying to satisfy you, how about telling us what books you have liked. There's got to be some, right?

huntsman79

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I loved Kings of the Wyld. Sequel was OK. Loved Prydain. Loved Robin Hobb's prose, but not quite the monster/adventure count I have an itch for. I realize it's just not that kind of book. Loved Master of Whitestorm. Loved the LOTR movies - even though there was war it always felt like the quest was most important focus. I read Theft of Sword and liked it alot, but I've heard the monster count goes down to almost nothing and it has a fair amount of political scheming. I really used to love the King's Quest games. An adventurer using magic items to survive in a world of fairy tale creatures, far off lands, etc.

afa

I read Theft of Sword and liked it alot, but I've heard the monster count goes down to almost nothing and it has a fair amount of political scheming.
You mean Michael J. Sullivan? I don't recall there being much politics. If you liked the first one, I think you will like the others.

I really used to love the King's Quest games. An adventurer using magic items to survive in a world of fairy tale creatures, far off lands, etc.
Are you going super old-school, or is there a newer King's Quest I'm not aware of? I used to love adventure games, too, and I hate the fact that they've become essentially obsolete in favour of more action-oriented ones and FPS. I was partial to Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, and the Monkey Island series.

huntsman79

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
You mean Michael J. Sullivan? I don't recall there being much politics. If you liked the first one, I think you will like the others.

Are you going super old-school, or is there a newer King's Quest I'm not aware of? I used to love adventure games, too, and I hate the fact that they've become essentially obsolete in favour of more action-oriented ones and FPS. I was partial to Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, and the Monkey Island series.
Yep. Old school Sierra adventure games. Loved them as a kid

stenney

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
i'd say the closest to LotR would be Eddings The Belgariad & The Mallorean. i just finished all of these a few months ago, and they are enjoyable if you are looking for that story type. i liked them, kinda more in a fun and nostalgic way. very trope-y, huge stakes, world at risk, orphan boy turns important, magic sword......it's all here.

also check out Raymond E Feist.....The Riftwar Saga starts a big and sprawling epic, totaling about 33 books. the first trilogy (actually released now as 4 books) is great....elves, dwarves, dragons, very good characters.