Looking for a good hard scifi book to read :)

Axcellence

A farm boy with a sword
Greg Mandell series by Peter F Hamilton.

My reading is that you like Sci Fi not hard hard Sci Fi like Hyperion. Hence Peter F Hamilton is a little bit between mid Sci Fi and hard hard Sci Fi like Hyperion or the quantum thief.

Edit: Not military sci fi - but more a sci fi detective series..

Last edited:
Hi GodAmongGeeks

And I'm new here so I hope I won't get incinerated by the Admins for doing this, but is it ok if I suggest my own hard-SF work? (Staying away from the "promote" word, though I guess that's pretty much what this action is amounting to....)

"Stories Of An Awkward Size"
It's short-stories, not a novel - 5 of them. They're all near-future and as hard as I can make them :) They also cross over into "Slipstream", ie. the new Tales Of The Unexpected genre.
I'm too larval to be able to post links, but you can find it easily on Good Reads and A mazon (and i Book etc once I get Smash words to cooperate).

Just a suggestion....

Cheers :)

JSH

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi GodAmongGeeks

And I'm new here so I hope I won't get incinerated by the Admins for doing this, but is it ok if I suggest my own hard-SF work? (Staying away from the "promote" word, though I guess that's pretty much what this action is amounting to....)

It's short-stories, not a novel - 5 of them. They're all near-future and as hard as I can make them :) They also cross over into "Slipstream", ie. the new Tales Of The Unexpected genre.
I'm too larval to be able to post links, but you can find it easily on Good Reads and A mazon (and i Book etc once I get Smash words to cooperate).

Just a suggestion....

JSH
I'm about to incinerate you, in the nicest possible way. Self promotion should be limited to the dedicated thread over in the authors section. You're probably better off over in our sister sites (best science fiction books) forum ... although it's not as active as this one having only been set up a few weeks ago. Welcome to this forum though, just stop breaking the rules :)

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Hi GodAmongGeeks

Just a suggestion....

JSH
As Tom said, promotion is best left in the author's section, but I'm not too bothered with mentioning your own work once in a while when it's, at least, a little relevant. What's annoying is gratuitous promotion (interjecting mentions of your work on a frequent basis without any relevance to the context of the ongoing conversation) or blitzkrieging forums on a one or two off basis and disappearing forever. Also, when someone mentions their work, if there is no link provided, then I'll almost never check the book out (unless the description really, and I mean really, piques my interest). If there is a link provided, then I'll invariably click on it. So, next time provide a link and if the site doesn't allow you to do so because of your "larval" stage, then best not to promote your book until you're able to leave a link.

"...as hard as I can make them" doesn't inspire much confidence in me when 1) there's no link for me to check the book description; and 2) I have little information about your background to let me know how 'hard' the science in your book is likely to be (I'm not saying that someone without much of a science background can't write 'hard sf', but it's certainly rarer, unless you're naturally a science nerd of some type like Andy Weir).

kenubrion

If you like Sara King you will like the debut work by Jamie Sawyer titled The Lazarus War: Artefact. I went on a binge trying out new stuff (to me) in the crowded field of new military space opera and only came up with one good one, as Omega Force, Starguild, The Human Chronicles and Starship Eternal first books didn't take. It's hard sci-fi with a thrilling pace and the first book in a planned series but not with a cliffhanger ending.

http://www.amazon.com/Lazarus-War-A...id=1430483540&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Lazarus+war

Boreas

Staff member
I mainly liked these series because of Smartass AI Ships.

Tell me those three words together aren't awesome.
Smartass AI Ships are one of the best things in science fiction. Though Asher's is the kiddie version. "Look to Papa Banks" instead.