Looking for a good quest adventure with monsters

huntsman79

A farm boy with a sword
"A band of heroes with unique talents or just a main adventurer (who isn't a wizard) face monsters and trap-laden dungeons on a quest to obtain a magical artifact."

This type of novel, one that is well written with good characters, is surprisingly hard to find! Most fantasy these days seems to be more about war and politics annd have no fun Ogres or Hydra or Mummies, etc. I don't like much of that in my fantasy books. I've read the Prydain series, LOTR, and Kings of the Wyld recently. Tried Swords and Deviltry, but couldn't get into it unfortunately. Bonus points if it has the sort of badass wit of Kings of the Wyld, but not a requirement.

Really appreciate whatever help you can give. It's been a long search...

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
"A band of heroes with unique talents or just a main adventurer (who isn't a wizard) face monsters and trap-laden dungeons on a quest to obtain a magical artifact."

This type of novel, one that is well written with good characters, is surprisingly hard to find! Most fantasy these days seems to be more about war and politics annd have no fun Ogres or Hydra or Mummies, etc. I don't like much of that in my fantasy books. I've read the Prydain series, LOTR, and Kings of the Wyld recently. Tried Swords and Deviltry, but couldn't get into it unfortunately. Bonus points if it has the sort of badass wit of Kings of the Wyld, but not a requirement.

Really appreciate whatever help you can give. It's been a long search...

I can think of books with some of those elements but all of them together is a toughie. I’m not sure this is what you’re looking for but the only book I can think of wirh a 1. group 2. on a quest 3.without war 4. and no politics 5. and a badass 6. who isn’t a wizard 7 that has weird creatures 8. and well written is
Stephen King’s 7 book series The Dark Tower.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Hmm, try the Forgotten Realms books. It has a bit of a sword and sorcery feel and has a cool protagonist (Dark Elf Drizzt do Urden).

I liked these books a lot when I was in my teens and it fits your requirement very well.

Darwin

blah came here to recommend Kings of the Wyld, which I'm wrapping up now. OP beat me to it.

You might find that Terry Pratchett's Discworld stuff checks a lot of those boxes.

Derk of Derkholm

Goblin Quest by Jim Hines!

Definitely has a band of adventurers with unique talents, and monsters do feature prominently !!! ;)

Bierschneeman

I keep recommending this book, but it's just that good. robert e Howard's "red nails" it's every checkmark , great, and short. also available on youtube audiobook.

my most favourit novel in this catergory would be Malus Darkblade novels... they are awesome and have all what you need.. plots... adventures.. actions.. magic.. mystries.. worth your time from book 1 to book 7

ExTended

Awaken Online series by Travis Bagwell. You're welcome! Not as witty as Kings of the Wld, but the nerdiness is certainly there.

The Riyria Revelations is up there too, although it doesn't follow the trope as tighly as you might like. But it even beats Kings of the Wyld for humor and banter.

huntsman79

A farm boy with a sword
Awaken Online series by Travis Bagwell. You're welcome! Not as witty as Kings of the Wld, but the nerdiness is certainly there.

The Riyria Revelations is up there too, although it doesn't follow the trope as tighly as you might like. But it even beats Kings of the Wyld for humor and banter.

So Riyria has monsters in it?

Darth Tater

So Riyria has monsters in it?
I thought there were a lot of thoughtful and good suggestions here but you did not comment on any of them until asking another question just now. Did you look into any of them? Did they not meet enough of your specifications? If so, why not?

If your main criteria is a monster “The Lost Island” by Preston and Child takes a page right out of Homers “The Odyssey”.

huntsman79

A farm boy with a sword
Sorry didn't know I had to reply to each response. I've heard good things about Riyria so that one caught my eye the most. I just can't find a clear answer on whether or not there are fantasy monsters in it.

ExTended

Sorry didn't know I had to reply to each response. I've heard good things about Riyria so that one caught my eye the most. I just can't find a clear answer on whether or not there are fantasy monsters in it.
There is one in the second book. The other books are leaning more towards the more traditional fantasy plot structures about intrigues and daring adventures.

Cyphon

I am currently reading Kings of the Wyld (almost done) and will say this for some of the recommendations I have seen here and read or listened to.

Dark Tower, Goblin Quest, and Discworld stuff really doesn't come close to Kings of the Wyld. That isn't to say they are bad but if you are looking for something close to KotW these aren't it IMO. I think Kings of the Wyld is a great book by the way, ending pending.

huntsman79

A farm boy with a sword
Kings of the Wyld was such a fun read. Most fantasy books these days just don't seem to like monsters anymore. Hard to find a good adventure with monsters.

Derk of Derkholm

The most frightening monsters that come to my mind are actually from China Mieville's "Perdido Street Station".
But that one is more steampunk / urban fantasy.