Looking for some 90's fantasy nostalgia that I missed out on

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Hey everyone, how's it going?

First of all, once again I wrote way too much, so I'll just ask you to read the next 3 paragraphs. After that feel free to respond.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but when I was a teenager in junior high I read quite a bit(at a considerably slower pace than I do now) but I read horror with stuff like Fear Street by R.L. Stine. Well, I've wondered what I missed out during that time.

I'm looking for some suggestions for some either young adult(yep people that know me, you heard me!) or adult fantasy novels. Stuff that I could have gotten at the library if I had just had the interest in such things that came out in the 90's.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I'd also like to create a topic for it where I act like I'm posting on a blog back from this time and I'm posting for my online friends, and maybe some of you can respond to him.

<b>Ok, you read the essential part. Feel free to stop reading and respond now.</b>

=======

Here's what I'm looking for. <b>However I"M VERY flexible on all of this if you explain yourself.</b>

-nothing from modern day. Preferably medievil, but it doesn't have to be, just need something from the past. When I was a teen, I wanted to escape into the past.

-The whole series can't be more than 1200 pages, no matter how many book it is. Hoping for a trilogy. My teen and also modern self gets excited by trilogies!

<b>Bonus optionals.</b>

-preferably a series that was completed by the year 2000 at the latest.

-preferably something that's doesn't really deal with shades of gray(when I was a teenager, I looked at things in a very black and white sort of way)

-Preferably something with a really really cool title

This is some popular stuff that I've looked at so far that doesn't work.

<b>Harry Potter</b>
<b>A song of ice and Fire</b>(this is more of a high school me.)
<b>Wheel of Time</b>(this is more of a high school me.)
<b>His Dark Materials</b>(i'm looking for young adult to adult, this seems to be aimed at 10 year olds)
<b>Terry Pratchett books</b>(i might have read this as a teen, but only to pretend that I like it to seem cool.)
<b>Tad Williams</b> books(they sound so promising, why do they have to be 900 pages long? It's not fair! :( )
<b>Terry Goodkind</b>(Just fucking NO! Just NO!)
<b>Dark Tower</b>(I'd be turned away by the fact that it's Stephen King)
<b>The Coldfire Trilogy</b>(anyone kne anything like this series that's shorter, it';s about 500 pages too long)

Here's some things that I've found that might work

<b>Farseer Trilogy</b>(The literally better than nothing pick. hopefully we can think of something better)

</b>The Sword of Shannara</b>(I know it's like 750 pages, but at the same time the title would have really pulled my teenage self in, and from what I hear you can read the book by itself and be fine. I know it's not known as a good series, but again, my teen self would have loved it. Again though, hopefully we can think of something better.)

</b>DragonRiders of Pern Trilogy</b>(ok, it's actually from the 70's but my teenage self actualy wanted to read this, but he never got the chance because he couldn't find it. Again, hopefully we can find something better.)

Davis Ashura

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I'll suggest The Rose and the Prophet trilogy by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis. Fun, fun fantasy in a desert, Arabic setting, pre-Islam with djinn, gods, and medieval knights tossed in for the heck of it.

There's also Hickman and Weis Darksword trilogy, which is not as fun but still a good read.

From back in the 70's there comes The Sunset Warrior trilogy. Not as fun in the sense that it'll put a smile on your face, but just cool characters and action.

There you go. A bunch of trilogies.

MorteTorment

I'll suggest The Rose and the Prophet trilogy by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis. Fun, fun fantasy in a desert, Arabic setting, pre-Islam with djinn, gods, and medieval knights tossed in for the heck of it.

There's also Hickman and Weis Darksword trilogy, which is not as fun but still a good read.

From back in the 70's there comes The Sunset Warrior trilogy. Not as fun in the sense that it'll put a smile on your face, but just cool characters and action.

There you go. A bunch of trilogies.
Let me think, how would my 13 year old self react to seeing those books in the library?

---

*Searching through the fiction books of his local library*

Rose and the Prophets? No way to that man, It's set in the desert. I don't wanna read about the desert. And what's with the guy on the cover? He looks like Jafar from Aladdin. I'm too old for cartoons man!

*looks some more*

The Sunset Warrior? Wierd, it doesn't have the authors name on it? Bet that the Librarian Davis Ashura forgot to LIST IT! He's a friend of mine, so I'll email him and let him know And what's with the cover pic? is he on the moon? I don't wanna read about space, my dad is into that star trek stuff, and what he's into sucks! I wanna see magic and stuff!

Lord the Rings? There's no description on this book, and my gramps is only gonna give me so much time to check out the 5 books I get to check out. I don't wanna read about a Jewelry Maker. and it's such an old book too, there's no cover pic! Lame!

Darksword? that sounds awesome!Wonder who the bad guy is that has it. I'm grabbing the first of the FOUR books.

---

Seriously, Darksword sounds awesome, it's a definate candidate!

Davis Ashura

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Rose and the Prophets? No way to that man, It's set in the desert. I don't wanna read about the desert. And what's with the guy on the cover? He looks like Jafar from Aladdin. I'm too old for cartoons man!

*looks some more*

The Sunset Warrior? Wierd, it doesn't have the authors name on it? Bet that the Librarian Davis Ashura forgot to LIST IT! He's a friend of mine, so I'll email him and let him know And what's with the cover pic? is he on the moon? I don't wanna read about space, my dad is into that star trek stuff, and what he's into sucks! I wanna see magic and stuff!
The Sunset Warrior is by Eric Van Lustbader. It doesn't take place on the moon, but it's one of those books that reads like a fantasy, but it's set in the future when magic has returned. The first book is a mix of fantasy, adventure, horror, and a dungeon crawl in a dying city. Here's the cover I like the best: https://www.amazon.com/Sunset-Warrior-Eric-Van-Lustbader/dp/0449216462

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Based on what I think you're saying, would you consider The Deathgate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman? It's serious but lots of comic relief too. You see, the world has been "sundered" into four parts by two ancient powerful races.. Air, water, fire and stone. The first four books each deal with one of these and there is a labyrinth, and the funniest wizard you'll ever come across in your life. It all ties together later on. Very memorable characters that I have not forgotten in 20 years.It isn't "Dragonlance" per se and even Ben rated it #33 on his 50 Best Epic Fantasy list so don't take my word for it. This is the series that got me back into reading again. It is a 7 book series so goes over the 1,200 page limit you set but it goes quickly. IMO a delightful read!

Last edited:

MorteTorment

You're killing me, Morte. You're killing me.:cry::p
Yeah, sorry about that. It's how I am with side projects. I take a while to decide.

I know, I shouldn't have posted here on such a small board until I knew that I really had in mind.