Lord of the Rings Prequel Series

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Sneaky Burrito, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Amazon will be making a Lord of the Rings prequel series.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-lifestyle:homepage/card

(Sorry, I think there's a paywall after you read some number of free articles a month, but I'm sure this news can be found elsewhere as well.)

Anyway, what do you all think? I haven't watched anything else made by Amazon Studios so I don't know what quality of work they do.

2. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I look forward to this. Sure, they can mess it up (in that case I will just ignore it), but it could very well be awesome. I heard they don't have the rights to all the mayor characters though. Curious to see which period they will cover. "Prequel" could mean loads of things in this universe. The time of the Silmarillion, the Children of Hurin, stories set in Aragorn's youth etc.

3. Fisterra

Fisterra Helped Logen count his fingers

I'm crossing my fingers for a adaptation of something from the Silmarillion, but I know it's not very likely. Amazon probably would have said something if they had managed to get the rights to do it, :(

4. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I heard they don't have those rights. Rumour is that it will probably be parts of the appendices. So perhaps the Children of Hurin? Or the younger years of Aragorn. Could be pretty cool.

5. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I'll be all over this when it comes out. As long as it's entertaining I don't really give a toss how close it is to books/film etc

6. Alice Sabo

Alice Sabo A Muggle

Isn't "The Hobbit" the prequel? But I guess they are going earlier than that. It's interesting that they keep stressing multi-season. When they haven't even put out 1 season it's strange to push several.

I may have to get Amazon Video when this comes out.

7. Fisterra

Fisterra Helped Logen count his fingers

There's quite a lot of material unused material: Silmarillion, LOTR Appendixes, Unfinished Tales, HoME... There are a lot of LOTR prequels out there, :p

In another forum I have been hanging out, someone has commented on that. His theory is that they plan to tell one story per season, like American Horror Story does.