LOTR prequel series: focus on young Aragorn / 5 seasons / 1 billion USD in total / created by Amazon

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I know Sneaky made a post about this some time ago, but now there's such a wealth of new information released recently that I thought it'd be good to have a new thread about it.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-series-news-cast/

How do y'all feel about this? If the budget is anything to go by, this will be the most expensive tv-series ever in terms of spend per episode (if we assume about 1`0 episodes per season).

Andrew.J

Journeyed there and back again
Amazon hasn't had a big hit yet to solidify its place in the industry, as far as I'm aware, and this seems to be a pretty safe bet, IMO. And if the budget is anything to go by, the new show will at least have great visuals and production value. GoT has certainly set the bar pretty high here. Knowing the franchise's fame, a lot of people will tune in to watch at least the first few episodes. If they don't mess it up, it could blow up.

With regard to the story, Aragorn's early life isn't the most exciting direction the show could take, but maybe that's for the better. With what little in the way of lore they'd have available, the showrunners could create something new and original that isn't a rehash of old ideas and plots. My only concern is that they don't sacrifice the characters and interesting story over some eye candy and cheap plots to capitalise on the name. It seems like in GoT, the higher the budget, the worse the show gets in all aspects apart from the production value. I wouldn't want that with LotR show. We'll see how it goes.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I don't know the topics, but remember that Aragorn is 87 years old at the time of the Lord of the Rings. There's quite a lot of history that can be filled up. Not only the hunt for Gollum, but also Aragorns adventures as a rider of Rohan (he fought alongside of Tenghel, Theoden's father/ or grandfather, I believe), his adventures as a ranger, his falling in love with Arwen etc

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
mixed feelings,

my gut feeling is, avoid. there is no reason for this to exist. 90% of prequels suck badly (the few I enjoy, everyone else hates) and there seems tpo be a lack of source content. which just spells bad. (look at the pierce Brosman James Bond movies.)

buuut. there is some content there. Amazon has been doing very good with its content so far. and that is not a modest budget. it could be good. I hope they don't give us gratuitous cameoes, unneeded romances, they have a bad track record with those.