Maps in Fantasy

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by ABatch, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Tanniel

Tanniel Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Well, I'd be happy to. You can judge for yourself, and if you're happy with the quality and style, I can give you some contact info. My map

• Like Like x 3
  2. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I like it and I shall check into it sometime soon. :)

One thing though - how much groundwork did you put into it? Did the guy elaborate on a mock up you've created or did he came up with the layout based on points of interest provided by you?

3. Tanniel

Tanniel Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I provided a basic sketch showing borders, mountains, rivers and cities etc. He made some suggestions for improvements and alterations to make it more realistic and pleasing to look at.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Love maps.They greatly enhance my reading experience. I get really frustrated when I don't know up from down. Give me a map and save me the pain of wading through boring descriptions of longitude and latitude. Please make them kindle friendly. In all honesty I do not look to see if a book has a map before I purchase it. But I am more likely to enjoy it and therefore buy the next book in the series.

5. Brandon Stubbs

Brandon Stubbs A Muggle

It could be argued that maps may give the reader too omniscient a perspective, especially for first person. However, unless this is a major concern, I would always like a map. Even if they're not necessary to the story, they're fun supplementary material - you can trace the heroes' journey, guess where they're going to go, glance at places they never visit. From a purely literary standpoint, maybe they're not necessary, but from the standpoint of a fantasy fan, yes!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kevin O Donoghue

Kevin O Donoghue Knows how to pronounce Kvothe

I am not a fan of maps in my books. I read on my kindle the majority of the time and find that I usually just flick past them. I can see the benefit to having them but if I never saw one I wouldn't complain.
    Leave the maps to Cartographer...

7. Darth Tater

Perusing the thread: 28 like/love maps and 7 don't care, making it important to a whopping 80%. Fair/accurate or not, IMHO, it's lazy and sloppy to exclude one.

Some learn much better visually so regardless of how beautifully/accurately a location is described relative to others it is very difficult for some to picture.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Noor Al-Shanti

Noor Al-Shanti Stood on the wall with Druss

When I finished reading Lord of the Rings for the first time and closed the book I decided to cope with the loss of that awesome, immersive world by drawing my own maps. So yes, I love maps in Fantasy.

That being said, if a book requires me to keep checking the map in order to understand it that really gets on my nerves. The story should be able to stand alone without the need for a map, but having the map there is a great little extra that can only enhance the process and help people obsess over your world after they've finished reading the book. I guess that's kind of weird, but that's my personal preference when it comes to maps. If a world is well-built and the writing captures my attention I will definitely consult the maps.

I also enjoy spending time checking out the Catographer's guild galleries from time to time. Super awesome maps of all types can be found there.

• Like Like x 2
  9. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I'm the same way, Noor Al-Shanti. I really appreciate maps but having to keep looking for places is an impediment to the flow of the story.

10. ABatch

ABatch Ran bridges next to Kaladin

You wanna map? Okay, HERE's your map.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Darth Tater

That's funny. Love the Walmart and " You shall not pass-pass" Seriously, ABatch, that's actually one of the better maps I've seen. Clear. Uncluttered. Mountains, trees, etc. if you can do THAT, while I haven't read your book (yet), I don't see why you couldn't throw a real one on there. Not to be critical, but to make it more realistic, I think there should have been at least 5 McDonald's on that amount of territory. Just sayin'...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Argh, I really wanted a real map Allan... :(

13. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

[​IMG] my map of coins, if its colored in I have coins from the country, the colors indicate different folders

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vasher

Vasher Helped Logen count his fingers

I read a lot of fantasy and I basically never look at the maps. It just never seems particularly important to the story.

15. D.N.Frost

D.N.Frost A farm boy with a sword

I'm a fictional cartographer, so of course I love maps. As a reader, I always check every label on the map at the start of a book, and I refer back to the map as the story unfolds - particularly when the characters are traveling or talking about other places. Of course, illustrations of any kind are no substitute for great story, and the book must be able to stand alone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Journeyed there and back again

Yeah, man, not cool. I finished Blood & Steel a few days ago and was looking forward to seeing what the world looked like.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Matticus Primal

18. ABatch

Don't suppose I could convince you to write a review...?

19. Matticus Primal

Yeah, I was planning on a review. It may be next week though since I'm a little swamped at the moment. But it will be positive.

20. ABatch

Thank you, sire.