Marc Turner. Author. Assassin. Deep sea diver.

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
Well, one of those jobs is definitely true.

Mr. T. is the writer of The Chronicles of the Exile series. I'm personally having quite a lot of fun with Dragon Hunters which came out in Feb and the one before that was When The Heavens Fall.

We're going to be speaking to the man himself in a few weeks and I'm interested to know if any other board members have been reading his stuff or have any questions we can put to him.

@Fatal Rose - I will check if he would like to do a d20 rpg of it ;>)

Let me know what you want to know folks...

Khartun

I actually won a contest for a hardback of When The Heavens Fall on the /r/Malazan sub-reddit from Marc. I guess he's a Malazan fan and asked for everyone to post their favorite quote from the series and gave away two hardbacks for his favorite answers.

I posted:

“He waited a moment, as they walked side by side through the camp, and then asked, 'Sir, if there's something we can't handle how do we handle it anyway?' She either grunted or laughed from the same place that grunts came from. 'Sawtooth wedges and keep going, Beak. Throw back whatever is thrown at us. Keep going, until. . .' 'Until what?' 'It's all right, Beak, to die alongside your comrades. It's all right. Do you understand me?' 'Yes sir, I do. It is all right, because they're my friends.' 'That's right, Beak.”

That quote gets me every time.

I still have not read the book. I just can't ever seem to find the time to read paper books. I always read on my phone. I will try to read it before your interview.

kenubrion

I see he's with Macmillan, and with indie fantasy being a big thing these days, I've wondered how some new authors get contracts with the bigs even before they have published anything. I know this is the way it was before indie publishing but I'm still curious. Even Anthony Ryan had to do it as an indie before he got a biggie house contract.

Last edited:

Maark Abbott

I actually won a contest for a hardback of When The Heavens Fall on the /r/Malazan sub-reddit from Marc. I guess he's a Malazan fan and asked for everyone to post their favorite quote from the series and gave away two hardbacks for his favorite answers.

I posted:

“He waited a moment, as they walked side by side through the camp, and then asked, 'Sir, if there's something we can't handle how do we handle it anyway?' She either grunted or laughed from the same place that grunts came from. 'Sawtooth wedges and keep going, Beak. Throw back whatever is thrown at us. Keep going, until. . .' 'Until what?' 'It's all right, Beak, to die alongside your comrades. It's all right. Do you understand me?' 'Yes sir, I do. It is all right, because they're my friends.' 'That's right, Beak.”

That quote gets me every time.

I still have not read the book. I just can't ever seem to find the time to read paper books. I always read on my phone. I will try to read it before your interview.
You just made me an entire feels. GodDAMNit, Beak.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I see he's with Macmillan, and with indie fantasy being a big thing these days, I've wondered how some new authors get contracts with the bigs even before they have published anything. I know this is the way it was before indie publishing but I'm still curious. Even Anthony Ryan had to do it as an indie before he got a biggie house contract.
Tor takes unagented submissions. He must've impressed someone there.

Amaryllis

When the Heavens Fall actually just won my 'I've never heard of this author, but their cover looks good, and I am bored' sweepstakes like 4 days ago. Impressions coming down the pipe at some point in the near future.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Tor sent me his book last year sometime and I never got around to reading it (moving to a new house and sick pets and all that). Maybe I will pick it up sooner rather than later. It did look good, it was just a matter of a mile-high TBR pile and not having a lot of actual time to read.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Ok I will be entirely honest about When The Heavens Fall....It took far too long to get going.

I usually appreciate word-building, but there is a limit to which you can keep doing it.

Couple this with an unimaginative magic system which mostly boiled down to the overuse of the words "death magic", and I lost the will to read past the mid point (twice).

I've heard good things about his new book tho, I hope its better.