March 2013: What Fantasy Book Are You Reading?

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Man...when school starts my reading really comes to a stand still.

Need to finish King of Thorns.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just finished off Deadhouse Gates. I liked it, but not as much as Gardens of the Moon. Whilst I'm enjoying the ambitious scale of the series so far, I do feel that Erikson throws a little too much at you sometimes, and completely on the contrary, perhaps doesn't go into enough description at times regards story lines - I mean (without wanting to write any spoilers) a character becomes blind at one point, and I'm like "whoa there, when did that happen?" .. and when another character is reincarnated within another one, I wasn't exactly sure when or how it happened.

I'm pretty hooked though, I don't think there's much chance of me picking anything else up until I've finished with the entire series now (despite me telling myself I would). Will be moving onto Night of Knives by Esselmont this morning, after which I've already ordered Memories of Ice which should be arriving next week! They should pretty much take me through to April I recon' =)

yobtaf

A farm boy with a sword
Just finished the Tawny Man trilogy. It was quite good. The events were quite interesting, but I felt the characters were not as endearing as in the Farseer trilogy. I didn't really like the ending of Fool's Fate either. Nonetheless it was an interesting extension to the Farseer trilogy, although I have the say that for me Assassin's apprentice is the outright favourite out of the books regarding Fitz (I liked/tolerated all the characters in that book, unlike in all the others where there were characters who I couldn't help but strongly dislike).

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
Hi all,

New to this site but looking forward to all your views/comments. I'm currently reading The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, finding it to be very average ATM.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,

New to this site but looking forward to all your views/comments. I'm currently reading The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, finding it to be very average ATM.
Welcome on board!

I was the same, it didn't really grip me until around page 200. It finishes a lot better though i assure you!

Saying that, I was kind of the opposite with First Law ... thought it started off a lot better than it finished, but loved the entire trilogy nonetheless.

Hand of Fear

@TomTheBeliever

Your were right things have started to pick up from about the 200+ mark, have to learn to be a little bit more patient since it's the first book I have read by him.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
sweet arse nothing. should look into starting something lol and shameless plug, didn't u all love my last book club, why no one want to read Fragile Thigns by Neil Gaimen!!

João Ribeiro

Finished The Daylight War today on the way to work and started the Eye of the World. Well didn't really start, just got like 5 ou 6 pages in, just dipping my toes. And so I start my journey through the Wheel of Time.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I finished At the Gates of Darkness by Raymond Feist, and have now moved on to the very last Midkemia trilogy, The Chaoswar. I started Kingdom Beseiged this past weekend, should have enough time to read that and the next book, A Crown Imperiled, before Magician's End comes out in April; then I will be done with the world of the worst-named magician in fantasy: Pug.

I started listening to Dan Simmons' Hyperion on audio book; I'm surprised of the quality of the audio as it has a full cast of 6 or 7 readers. I know the Ender's Game audiobook has a cast too, but they don't usually do that with audio books, at least not the ones I have listened to. I know it's sci fi, but I always see it on "You should read this book before you die" lists, and Ender's Game is usually on those same lists and that book was phenomenal, so... Hyperion it is.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Finished King of Thorns, really scream deus ex machina to me, which is something Ben really dislikes which is why Mistborn is so low on the list, but why is this one rated so highly? Must be the philosophical side of things. Almost feels like a sci-fi book.

I'll read the last book.

Onto Daylight War

Antoxx

Just finished the Tawny Man trilogy. It was quite good. The events were quite interesting, but I felt the characters were not as endearing as in the Farseer trilogy. I didn't really like the ending of Fool's Fate either. Nonetheless it was an interesting extension to the Farseer trilogy, although I have the say that for me Assassin's apprentice is the outright favourite out of the books regarding Fitz (I liked/tolerated all the characters in that book, unlike in all the others where there were characters who I couldn't help but strongly dislike).
I had a similar experience. Still loved Tawny Man but was more familiar with the characters so the story didn't have that accompanying excitement that a new series has. That said, it still rates very highly as one of my most liked series ever.

Jon Snow

Staff member
I had a similar experience. Still loved Tawny Man but was more familiar with the characters so the story didn't have that accompanying excitement that a new series has. That said, it still rates very highly as one of my most liked series ever.
I think I've mentioned it many times on these forums. Tawny Man is better than Farseer, but Assassin's Apprentice is the best book of the lot.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I thought the whole Fitz series was great. I don't understand why so many people piss on about the ending, there was nothing to be pissy about.

Fitz gets to be happy and gets his soulmate and daughter. After the terrible things that Hobb put him through for 6 books, he deserved the happy ending he got.

Jon Snow

Staff member
I thought the whole Fitz series was great. I don't understand why so many people piss on about the ending, there was nothing to be pissy about.

Fitz gets to be happy and gets his soulmate and daughter. After the terrible things that Hobb put him through for 6 books, he deserved the happy ending he got.
Yeah I agree that he deserved it, we all love Fitz. I think the problem was it felt forced and perhaps a bit too perfect. But as I said, I found Tawny Man to be my favourite, maybe because in the end Fitz got what he deserved.

Antoxx

Totally agree.
And even to get to the "happy ending", there's still a load of sad stuff that occurs.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Finished Lies Of Locke Lamora yesterday. Great book! There was some very awesome scenes!
Like when Locke sucker punched the spider. So unexpected and so funny, who the hell punches an old lady in the face with no hint of remorse. The scene when Locke and Jean climbed the tower and came upon the cheating woman was funny too! It was also unexpectedly sad. Half the crew dead wtf!? It made the whole series feel very much more serious and grim. I wanted jean to bath in the blood of the twin sister but that didn't really happen, It felt like he wasn't satisfied having killed those twins. I hope we'll get acquainted with Sabetha soon!

Apparantly this series is going to be a 7 book long one. And the third is supposedly be out sometime this summer. No official statement though.
I think i'll move on to my re-read of The Way of Kings

João Ribeiro

Bah, train strike today so I'm working from home. That means no reading time today! Damn you train company!

João Ribeiro

Whaat? I though it would've been the other way around =). Or do you mostly only read during your commute?
Yeah I have around 3 hours a day to read while I'm on the train.

At home there is always stuff to do and when the chores are done I spend the free time with the wife.

And working from home usually means getting up, walking to the next room, booting up the laptop and working non-stop breaking only for lunch and at the end of the day.

And that's why I hardly read during the weekends. Wife time. It's a great balance as far as I'm concerned because I have a lot of me time and family time like this.

afa

Finished with A Memory of Light. I've said it before, but I'll say it again - this series was Epic with a capital 'E'. Martin is great with political intrigue and complexities, Abercrombie has great characters and vivid fights, Sanderson has excellent magic systems, but when it comes to the genre of Epic Fantasy, the buck stops with The Wheel of Time. (Admittedly, though, I haven't read Malazan.)

Reading the book just reminded me of how massive a scale we were reading about all this time. Nearly two-thirds of the book was a giant battle scene involving virtually every nation and race you could think of. What I found even more interesting, though, was the unexpected 'type' of battle between the Dragon and the Dark One. Not how I thought it would be, but a very interesting take. I will let the book simmer in my head for a while, but early impressions are two thumbs up.

And for now, I will probably read The Swordbearer, a stand-alone novel by Glen Cook.