March 2013: What Fantasy Book Are You Reading?

yobtaf

A farm boy with a sword
I think I've mentioned it many times on these forums. Tawny Man is better than Farseer, but Assassin's Apprentice is the best book of the lot.
^Ditto

I thought the whole Fitz series was great. I don't understand why so many people piss on about the ending, there was nothing to be pissy about.
I didn't like it because the end was really stretched. Like in AA and AQ it ended in about like 50 pages then you get to FF and it takes the final fifth of the book to end...
For me it's not Fitz's happy ending that irks me about the end (yes, he finally redeemed himself in my view in Tawny Man) but other characters I didn't like
eg. Elliana (what does Dutiful see in her, apart from boobs??) and Thick (gosh he is hands down one of the most annoying characters I've ever read about...).
Yeah and I'm a sucker for tragic endings in general...

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Finished Wise Man's Fear. I was honestly blown away. A stellar read. Moving on Lord Foul's Bane.

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
Day 2 of the train strike. Will my misery never end?

To add insult to injury I just had to review a technical document made by some guy that probably learned English from engrish.com or something. I feel my brain melting though my ears right now. Worst piece of Technical Documentation I had to review in quite a while.

Help me Obi-Robert Jordan you are my only hope!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've just finished reading Night of Knives by Esselmont. I really really liked this book. Whereas I don't think it would be a good starting point to the Malazan world, it definitely is a fantastic addition to it, and having only read the 1st 2 Erikson books, it was an awesome follow on (albeit a prequel) to what i've read of the Malazan world so far. In hindsight it probably would have been better reading this straight after Gardens of the Moon, but this is by the by really.

It's weird because it felt like a 'short story' even though it was over 400 pages, probably because all the events happened in the span of a single day .. but once I started I could barely put it down. The characterisation was great, the two main characters were really well portrayed, which is something which was lacking from the erikson books .. Temper is the best character in the Malazan world so far .. don't know if he is going to appear again, but I've got a sneaking suspicion he will.

Onto Memories of Ice next. I'm glad I'm really enjoying this series as I was looking for something epic after WoT .. but it's 101% filled the gap!!

So to summarise, Night of Knives is superb, and it really helped having read some of Eriksons world before I stepped foot into Esselmonts.

B81

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I am also reading Night of Knives, though have the last quarter still left.
I was relieved, that the writing is solid and has the same feel as Ericsson's. All in all a worthy addition to a series which gains in strenght as it progresses. At least thats how I feel after book 5, which was my favorite till now.

Antoxx

I am also reading Night of Knives, though have the last quarter still left.
I was relieved, that the writing is solid and has the same feel as Ericsson's. All in all a worthy addition to a series which gains in strenght as it progresses. At least thats how I feel after book 5, which was my favorite till now.
This is great news as I've got a number of Esslemont's books and having read all of MBOTF i was concerned that they might be significantly below the standard Erikson writes at.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just started reading Storm Front .. fancied a little break from Malazan.

About 25% in, I'm a little "meh" at the moment ... Can't see myself getting hooked on Dresden like others seem to be!

João Ribeiro

Back on the reading train. I'm about a quarter of the way into Eye of the World. You can really tell the difference in writing. This is closer to Tolkien than anything I've read so far. I'm not saying it's a rip off, I'm saying it's much more classical than, for example, Abercrombie.

So far I'm enjoying the story, even though it's a tad slow to get things moving but that is to be expected from a 14 book saga!

HazyJay

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe

About 25% in, I'm a little "meh" at the moment ... Can't see myself getting hooked on Dresden like others seem to be!
The first two books are a bit 'meh'. Then Butcher finds his voice and it takes off.

As for myself I just dived into The Way of Kings. Wow. Just wow.

B81

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Way of Kings is great, yes.

Finished the very solid Night of Knives and started The Bonehunters.
We're back in Seven cities, old characters, new characters... lets see.

Derk of Derkholm

Thom ... same for me when I first read it!

To be precise, I had to move on to "Fool moon" to really get hooked. And what shall I say, it was worth it.

Best regards,
Andy

Antoxx

Back on the reading train. I'm about a quarter of the way into Eye of the World. You can really tell the difference in writing. This is closer to Tolkien than anything I've read so far. I'm not saying it's a rip off, I'm saying it's much more classical than, for example, Abercrombie.

So far I'm enjoying the story, even though it's a tad slow to get things moving but that is to be expected from a 14 book saga!
I reckon the story does pick up about half way through and becomes very enjoyable. I'm getting towards the end of book 6 now and still enjoying them.

João Ribeiro

I reckon the story does pick up about half way through and becomes very enjoyable. I'm getting towards the end of book 6 now and still enjoying them.
I'm close to the halfway mark so let's see if it picks up the pace. I'm finding it a bit slow but nothing daunting and it doesn't go all out Cecilia Dart-Thornton on describing each tree and each blade of grass. I'm getting the vibe of a large story that's meant to be told well and not rushed.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I have finished reading Blakhand by Matt Hiebert. I really liekd it. Will right a review soon for the blog and hopefully do an interview with the author! Now on to Fragile Things (BOOK CLUB PEOPLE!)

Bierschneeman

I haven't been on in about two months, Ive been very busy at work, and I am likely to get busier next month with all the beer promotions and our anniversary party, so Im going to sneak in and give this an update.

since I was here last I finished
the Silmarillion,
LOTR Return of the King,
Charles Dickens Pickwick Papers (pretty funny)
Susan C Clarke - Jonathon Norrel and DrStrange (I may have gotten the title wrong. But I couldn't even finish it , IT WAS AWFUL and slow for no reason at all, the plot was really transparent and relied heavily on the audience being stupid to hide theforeshadowing as mere banter)
Patrick Rothfuss The Name of the Wind (wow I really liked this, lots of cliches but done really well, I can't help but imagine this is like a well written version of Ed Greenwoods 'Pamphlet' Elminster making of a mage
Noble blood, tragic loss of family, eks out an existence as a beggar/theif, learns magic, and apparently next book he's going to learn to fight
currently reading
RR Martin's short stories
Terry Prachett and Steven Braxtet The Long Earth

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Storm Front! Actually quite liked it in the end =)

It had a few laugh out loud moments, some great characters, all in all a good easy going entertaining little read!

Will pick up Memories of Ice later on ... time to get immersed (confused?) in the world of Malazan again!