March 2016 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
I've read a couple of books recently:
  • The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids by Michael McClung: Completely unrelated to the blog post (but coincidentally nonetheless), I read about this here (Blog-off held by Mark Lawrence) and I wholeheartedly agree with both the blog and Lawrence on this one. Excellent writing, unrestrained on the bloodshed, gore and dark themes, and surprisingly, a strong female protagonist make this a worthwhile read. Also, it was free when I checked it out. (Its less than a dollar currently)
  • The Rook by Daniel O'Malley: This is quite an old book (2012 IIRC) but another excellent read featuring a strong female protagonist. The book is mainly urban british fantasy, but done in a completely unique way involving memory loss, a secret branch of the government and the aforementioned protagonist being the administrative head of one of its major branches. While this sounds utterly boring, it is somehow amazingly engrossing, possibly due to the excellent, tight prose and some really creatively imagined characters.
Would definitely recommend these two books to anyone wanting a change from ye old male protagonists.

That being said, I now need to pick up the sequels to The Amra Thetys series.

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
Prince of Dogs:

Hugh just turned up (end of Part 1). Die, Hugh. Die.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

Maark Abbott

Yeah, you're not gonna get your wish.
I think I can hazard a guess at what's going to happen. And I can't say I much like the idea of it.

ofer

Haven't been doing a lot of reading lately. Managed to finish Hounded by Kevin Hearne which was mostly nice, light and fun - probably the right thing to read while on vacation.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haven't been doing a lot of reading lately. Managed to finish Hounded by Kevin Hearne which was mostly nice, light and fun - probably the right thing to read while on vacation.
Surely you're still not on vacation? It's been about 6 months now! ;)

Ryan W. Mueller

I think I can hazard a guess at what's going to happen. And I can't say I much like the idea of it.
I'm in the middle of the fifth book, and

Hugh is still alive

Also, I'm proud of myself for getting the spoiler tag code right on the first try.

Andrew.J

I recently finished Uprooted by Naomi Novik and I've mixed feelings on it. I really enjoyed the setting: Polish folklore and a fairytale feel wasn't like anything I had ever read before. The Wood too, was a fantastic antagonist, menacing and mysterious right untill the end. Novik's writing is beautiful and I feel it perfectly captured the eeriness of the Wood and delivered a story with a distinct Polish and a fairytale-esque vibe.
That said, I'm left thinking the book could've been so much more even if I can't put my finger on what I feel is missing. However, in the end the book was a pleasure to read and I'm left with nostalgic and vivid memories :)

Currently I'm reading Words of Radiance and enjoying it a lot. I believe at this point I have a pretty good feel of Sanderson's writing and it's likely I won't be reading any more of his books besides Stormlight Archive, but that of course might change in time.

kenubrion

I'm nibbling on two indie fantasies, The Martyr and The Prophet as well as The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids, the latter Ben's number 1 indie fantasy. Both are well written. My main dish is Neal Asher's Polity Agent.

Nuomer1

Recently re-purchased (for Kindle, my old paperbacks have gone walkabout!) Chase The Morning and its sequels by Michael Scott Rohan.
This is quite old stuff (I don't know the original publication date, probably around 1980), but somehow this author remained a bit 'niche'. He deserves to be more widely known!

Maark Abbott

I'm in the middle of the fifth book, and

Hugh is still alive

Also, I'm proud of myself for getting the spoiler tag code right on the first try.
You make me cry internally with that.

fbones24

That said, I'm left thinking the book could've been so much more even if I can't put my finger on what I feel is missing.
My feelings about Uprooted. When I started reading that book, I was enamored. By the end, I was indifferent. Not sure why or what happened in between? I think it could have been more, like you said.

Kalavan

Finished Lebbon’s Dawn, unfortunately not as engaging as the first instalment of this duology, especially in the central part, where the author took too much time in order to bring the various character to the place of the final confrontation, often indulging in a series of internal struggles that quickly became repetitive.
A pity, since Lebbon definitely knows how to write compelling, extremely graphic action scene, and the finale is amazing, if a little bit rushed.

Now onto Belcher’s The Six-Gun Tarot, another interesting mash-up of dark fantasy, western and a bit of horror; quite the engrossing book, perhaps a little heavy on the flashbacks

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Now onto Belcher’s The Six-Gun Tarot, another interesting mash-up of dark fantasy, western and a bit of horror; quite the engrossing book, perhaps a little heavy on the flashbacks
I loved this one and the sequel. Belcher is becoming one of my favorites.

Andrew.J

I thought Uprooted ended perfectly:) Amazing beginning to end.
I do think Uprooted ended beautifully, it was a great conclusion to the story and the Wood. It's just that the story itself didin't pull me in completely.
On a different note, I've been greatly enjoying the Words of Radiance, even if I managed to spoil half of the plot for myself. :D
Dalinar and Renarin being surgebinders and Jasnah's survival for example.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just hit the 30% point in Providence of Fire and it's really getting going. Got a couple of long train journeys (by UK standards) tomorrow, so hopefully should make quite a dent in it!

Kalavan

I loved this one and the sequel. Belcher is becoming one of my favorites.
Yes, The Six-Gun Tarot was really an enjoyable and compelling reading. Perhaps a little too crammed considering its length, in less than 400 pages there are at least 8 principal POVs, several converging storylines, an over-abundance of significant flashbacks, social and sexual issues, shapeshifters, reanimated heads, fallen angels, hints of romances, a looming apocalypse and quite a lot of different and mostly unusual other things.
Because of this there are, especially in the first part, some up and downs with the pacing of the book, and a couple of the characters didn't have any space to shine, while others underwent some significant progress.
Anyway an extremely solid book, who left me craving for more adventures of Golgotha's deputies and citizens, and so I'm now reading the second installment of this series, The Shotgun Arcana

LexieS17

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I started March by reading the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks and just finished it around 4am thus morning (cried for like 10 minutes). And now I'm trying to choose between Malice by John Gwynne, Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman, Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, Those Above by Daniel Polansky, and The Vagrant by Peter Newman. I'm reading the first couple of pages from each to choose, kinda leaning towards The Vagrant.

ExTended

I have a question about Robin Hobb`s Fitz series.

I am now on book 3 of The Tawny Man trilogy. I've completely skipped The Liveship Trilogy which comes after The Farseer Trilogy, since it's not my cup of tea - ships and such.

I wanted to simply continue with Fitz`s story. Now I am on book 3 and I wonder which is the next series which directly continues his story. Is it "The Rain Wild Chronicles" or is the "The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy"? I guess it's the latter, but I prefer to be sure.

If anybody can answer - please keep your answer as spoiler-free as possible. :)