March 2016 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
Just finished up Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley. This is a terrific series. Adare was a bit annoying in this one and
I could see her turning on Valyn from a mile away.
but other than that I thought this book was pretty awesome.

I'm already 50 pages into The Last Mortal Bond.

rudyjuly2

Just finished up Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley. This is a terrific series. Adare was a bit annoying in this one and

I'm a lot more clueless. Am starting the Last Mortal Bond very soon.

I was pissed at Adare for what she did to Valyn although some of Valyn's decisions in that book were questionable at times. Never saw that coming. Furthermore, I never clued in to the fact the advisor with the blindfold might have been hiding HIS eyes much like Adare. Felt like an idiot.

Andrew.J

Is The Last Mortal Bond the last book in the series? I completely forgot it was coming out today, I'll be picking it up very soon.
ETA: I also finished Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson yesterday. It was so good. So awesome! I'm still psyched about it. :D

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Is The Last Mortal Bond the last book in the series? I completely forgot it was coming out today, I'll be picking it up very soon.
Yeah, off to give Amazon even more of my money, I forgot about that book too.

Khartun

ETA: I also finished Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson yesterday. It was so good. So awesome! I'm still psyched about it. :D
Yeah, off to give Amazon even more of my money, I forgot about that book too.
Yes, released today.

khrm

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Was busy with my post grad exams and job. Have read three books this month:
1. The Knight's Shadow.
I find this better than previous one. 8.77
2. Marie's Rutkoski's The Winner's Curse &
3. The Winner's Crime
It's more of a medieval romance book than a fantasy book. And I didn't like romance formula. But otherwise, it's good. And some great scenes. The one big issue with this book is bad handling of emotions (not able to transform the emotions to the reader). 8.1

Now searching for the next series. How is Shadows of the Apt?

Maark Abbott

On the last 100 pages of Prince of Dogs. A plotline thought occurs to me. If anyone's read it and can confirm yes or no I'd be obliged.

So it's hinted that Alain is actually the baby in the opening of book 1 and not Sanglant. Sanglant is the Prince of Dogs. Alain can control Lavastine's hounds. The theory I'm working with right now is that Sanglant can also control the dogs, which would mean they're somehow related. Maternal brothers, perhaps?

khrm

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
On the last 100 pages of Prince of Dogs. A plotline thought occurs to me. If anyone's read it and can confirm yes or no I'd be obliged.

So it's hinted that Alain is actually the baby in the opening of book 1 and not Sanglant. Sanglant is the Prince of Dogs. Alain can control Lavastine's hounds. The theory I'm working with right now is that Sanglant can also control the dogs, which would mean they're somehow related. Maternal brothers, perhaps?
When you finish with the series, you should re-read this spoiler. You might stop proposing further theories and go with the flow.

Maark Abbott

All flows lead to Hugh's crotch. I'll pass.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Recently finished reading The Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd, whom I found to be an excellent story teller
These books actually get better as they go on, if you are willing to overlook the somewhat cliched tropes and slightly overpowered characters.

Plus its like 5 books so it'll keep you occupied till the next GRRM release. (No, no it won't)

Maark Abbott

Finished Prince of Dogs. Improved over the first book in a number of ways, and the ending was more of a setup than overdriving next to the opponent in preparation for a 720c. Carrying straight on with The Burning Stone.

Maark Abbott

Anti_Quated

Hacking away to finish a LOTR re-read so I can move on to the 1001 Nights, pick up and re-start Tale of the Heike, or start the Dark Tower series. I have a ridiculous amount of reading to catch-up on.

Hand of Fear

March already and I have read one book (technically though it could be zero, as I had started it at the end of last year).

I have branched out too reading comics instead, I will be honest and I thought I wouldn't enjoy them, but I have been pleasantly surprised.

I be making my way back to a 'proper' book after my latest comic, and I have over a thousand threads to catch up on on here at some point !

And who do I speak to about the theft of all my credits ?

Maark Abbott

You know how Sanderson's whole deal is that he doesn't like magic that does what the plot demands? Nebulous magic with undefined limits so it can get the writer out of any jam? The whole reason for Sanderson's heavily rules-based magic systems? He's gotten bored of that, apparently, and in addition to adding a bunch of metals and therefore powers with the beginning of this series, as well as the ability for people to combine the two racial magics, he's just handwaving Clarke's third law into the series now. Regardless of how justified by the narrative, it still defeats the purpose of Sanderson's rules-based magic. It can still do whatever he needs it to, he just has to foreshadow it is all. It's a backslide into laziness from him.

Not only that, there were the tedious character archetype issues I mentioned a few pages back and a ton of loose ends, including
the implication that the Lord motherfucking Ruler survived the events of Mistborn.
I would have assumed that when you become the title of a Skeletonwitch song (Crushed Beyond Dust) that there's no coming back from that.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm a lot more clueless. Am starting the Last Mortal Bond very soon.

I was pissed at Adare for what she did to Valyn although some of Valyn's decisions in that book were questionable at times. Never saw that coming. Furthermore, I never clued in to the fact the advisor with the blindfold might have been hiding HIS eyes much like Adare. Felt like an idiot.
I've just finished Providence of Fire too. It's a fun, easy to read, pulls no punches kind of series, which whilst enjoyable, is certainly nothing ground breaking. To be honest I was expecting something outstanding when I started the series after reading the heaps of praise from this site and others, but I've been disappointed in that respect. I'll definitely read the sequel and have already pre-ordered it, but I'm fully expecting my feelings to remain the same.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Ben and Jon. You're not the only one who balked at seeing their credits gone, but to be honest, it's more fair now and I think most of us have learned to live with the loss.

Welcome back by the way!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
March already and I have read one book (technically though it could be zero, as I had started it at the end of last year).

I have branched out too reading comics instead, I will be honest and I thought I wouldn't enjoy them, but I have been pleasantly surprised.

I be making my way back to a 'proper' book after my latest comic, and I have over a thousand threads to catch up on on here at some point !

And I saw on GR that you finally finished MBoTF ;)
Welcome back :)