March 2016 - What fantasy books are you reading?

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
The Night Circus was my most hated book of whatever year I read it. As with The Buried Giant last year, it was so far up its own ass that it forgot what it was looking for in the first place - a story.
Just looked it up. Prospero the enchanter? Does he get a beastly sidekick called Caliban?

jo zebedee

I was reading The Lies of Locke Lamorra but I'm not getting along with it.

A quick raid at the library though gave a lovely haul of sf books, so I moved onto Liu's The Three Body Problem and am getting into it nicely (I tend to be more a spaceship kind of gal than fantasy.)

Andrew.J

I've made a start on Daughter of Smoke and Bone, seems pretty good so far and it looks like it will be a quick book to read.
This is one of the most disappointing books I've read. The world was interesting and I liked the magic system a lot. It was good, really good. Untill it wasn't. Why? Because angels happened and falling madly in love happened and it was just ruined. Just like that.

Andrew.J

A quick raid at the library though gave a lovely haul of sf books, so I moved onto Liu's The Three Body Problem and am getting into it nicely (I tend to be more a spaceship kind of gal than fantasy.)
I gave The Lies of Locke Lamorra a try recently. But I just wasn't getting it. It reminded me of The Name of the Wind an awful lot for some reason. Lifeless and uninteresting.

moonspawn

I enjoyed its style, but was disappointed by the lack of substance.
I don't think it had a lack of substance. I appreciated the ambiguous plotting and that it was writing simply for the sake of writing. I suppose it is pretty repetitive though. My main problem looking back on it is that the book itself is pretty emotionally challenged.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Ultimately, I remember it as being a very well-written and evocative Mills & Boon novel - a predestined romance the book thinks is way more interesting in and of itself than I do, and all that's needed to carry a novel.
For those of us in the US, Mills & Boon basically prints the same titles as Harlequin. (Which I know from my anti-Harriet Klausner comment posting days and not from ever actually having cracked the spine of one.)

Maark Abbott

Carrying on through The Burning Stone. Page 140 or so had me nearly fist punching the air. It's been a long time since I've become this emotionally attached to a particular character and actually wanted them to pull through everything that's set against them. And when they finally do, it's a good feel.

Ryan W. Mueller

Carrying on through The Burning Stone. Page 140 or so had me nearly fist punching the air. It's been a long time since I've become this emotionally attached to a particular character and actually wanted them to pull through everything that's set against them. And when they finally do, it's a good feel.
That series can be a bit slow at times, but I think Elliott is one of the best character writers in the genre. Her characters feel like real people, and even a lot of the not-s0-geat characters morally usually have some redeeming qualities that help you relate to them.

(Except for Hugh. Hugh must die. Painfully.)

Maark Abbott

That series can be a bit slow at times, but I think Elliott is one of the best character writers in the genre. Her characters feel like real people, and even a lot of the not-s0-geat characters morally usually have some redeeming qualities that help you relate to them.

(Except for Hugh. Hugh must die. Painfully.)
I'd agree. I've not read such convincing characters before, and after the... mess I came from before I decided to run this series through, the characters being convincing was very, very important to me.

Also, it's German. It means "The Hugh, The". ;)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm blasting my way through Blood Song. What a book! Started yesterday and I'm already 1/3 through. Vaelin's tutelage in the Sixth Order is very reminiscent of Jon Snow's training at the Watch. Good stuff!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
The Night Circus was my most hated book of whatever year I read it.
I also dislike it greatly. It's only concern is style, atmosphere and romance angle.
To me it was romance novel pretending to be fantasy. I hate romance novels.

P.S. How do you pronouce Ganoes?
I dont because I dont read outloud? :p
Personally, same as it's written. Ga-no-es. In Bosnian everything is pronounced as it is written, so unless I see that it's an english, german or any other real name, I just read it as it is written :pompus:

fbones24

I recently got Gardens of the Moon and I feel it's the right time to embark on my greatest reading adventure to date. Malazan Book of the Fallen!
I've read the prologue already and so far so good. Excited to continue.

P.S. How do you pronouce Ganoes? o_O
Honestly, do yourself a favor and do not concern yourself with pronunciation of anything in Malazan. It will only get worse! :woot:

Personally, I thought GOTM was a terrible book. Disjointed and almost felt like a graphic novel. On the other hand, I loved Deadhouse Gates and am still slogging through Memories of Ice. Good luck! :D

kenubrion

Still slowly reading, immersing in really, The Martyr and The Prophet, a really good new debut that uptower already wrote an accurate and quite eloquent review for about a month ago. I saw it after I had begun and I was glad to see it wasn't just me that was impressed with C. B. Currie's first published work. Please refer to the review for info because I'm not really sure how to describe it other than as a nicely relaxed pace epic-fantasy intro book that gets the various story arcs off the ground.

I'm going back and forth between this and Neal Asher's fifth and final Polity book in sci-fi land.

rudyjuly2

I gave up on Malazan after the first book. I thought the first book was OK but I didn't like the direction it was going with the different gods. Also felt like stuff was just being made up on the fly that didn't make a lot of sense to me. Oh well. that's an awfully long series to commit too.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Honestly, do yourself a favor and do not concern yourself with pronunciation of anything in Malazan. It will only get worse! :woot:
Oh my goodness, I will never attempt to actually speak aloud any names from Malazan. (OK, maybe Whiskeyjack or Fiddler :)). But seriously, I am sure I am so far off with respect to some of them that I would embarrass myself.

Cyphon

I gave The Lies of Locke Lamorra a try recently. But I just wasn't getting it. It reminded me of The Name of the Wind an awful lot for some reason. Lifeless and uninteresting.
Blasphemers! Lies of Locke Lamorra is one of my favorite fantasy books. The GB sequence is one of my favorite series as well but that first book was especially well written and entertaining.

@TomTB

I started Retribution Falls finally and am about 4 chapters in. So far I have a really good feeling about it so it may be bucking trends.

Andrew.J

Blasphemers! Lies of Locke Lamorra is one of my favorite fantasy books. The GB sequence is one of my favorite series as well but that first book was especially well written and entertaining.
You got me with GB there. Took me a while to crack that one. It's Great Britain, obviously! :D

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
You got me with GB there. Took me a while to crack that one. It's Great Britain, obviously! :D
Thought it stood for Giant Boner, but that might just be my filty mind playing tricks on me.