March 2017 - What SF books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Silvion Night, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Brandon Stubbs

Brandon Stubbs A Muggle

He did have an interesting life. And I agree, his philosophical beliefs make sense in the context of his life. I think that in a modern context @Bierschneeman is right, the books can be somewhat dated. But it is always interesting to read older literature, because it gives a window into life and culture decades or centuries ago. And even more than historical fiction it reflects prevalent beliefs and mindsets during the period.

2. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Journeyed there and back again

One part of this concept holds up very well indeed - that if there were two intelligent races living in this one solar system, then as soon as the technology became available, there would only be one. Being optimistic, I suppose the losers might be enslaved or degraded to food animals, but extermination seems more likely - if not from pure malice, then simply to remove the threat.

3. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I've just started The Dreaming Void by Peter F Hamilton. I loved the first two Commonwealth books. Hopefully the Void books are on par with them.

4. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I just finished" the adventures of Sherlock holmes"~Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

It follows very much the themes of the two books previous (lady in scarlet and sign of four) but this is made up of small 20 page stories of mystery and the science of deduction (from the pov of Watson again) This was probably first printed story by story in a weekly paper.

The stories have become formulaic, all (almost all) starting in the drawing room at Baker street, and following a set pattern of reveal deduce footwork, solve. Many archaic sciences like phrenology seep in through the pages. On the whole I found it enjoyable.

I am planning on finishing mary Shelley s last man this weekend, (it's getting really good) and staring "memoirs of Sherlock Holmes " soon

6/10

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

H.G. who? :p

Finished Zoe's Tale (book 4 of the Old Mans War). Same old "I said she said" so still tried hard to ignore it. When two people are talking and one asks a question followed by "I asked" after the response you don't need to say "he answered". Just maddening. I was rather disappointed in this book because it was exactly the same story as book 3 but told from a childs/teens perspective. Seemed lazy to me but he explains why he did it after the book ends and makes it sound like it was really tough to do. So who knows. It does explain some things better but while the last 1/4 of the book is exciting the rest was "meh". Been there-done that. I wonder where book 5 goes. If it is books 3 &4 from the perspective of the family dog that won't be good.

6. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemison has me enthralled. Might have to read her entire bibliography after this.

7. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Well, Tater. I’m very happy for you to continue the journey and please, keep me posted. I might skip those books in between and jump directly to the better ones, as soon as you reach them. Hopefully, very soon. ;)

8. Darth Tater

Sorry. I have bad news. Having read books 1-4, I checked their reviews last night, and Scalzi's writing was ripped to shreds by a lot of people. Some with similar complaints as my own but the rest were quite accurate too, IMO. I wasn't expecting much and that's what I got. But it's getting old now. Still, I think they're fun quick reads, if you just enjoy the action. I will only finish the series because I already bought the books and that's my rule. I was hoping for answers to a couple of questions where I thought maybe I missed something but turns out others caught the mistakes too. I still think Ghost Brigades was the best so far. Updated order 2-3-1-4.

9. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Oh dear...! I've been told in BSFBF, the final three books are better, but according to you, the 4th one is the worst so far. I'm not as disciplined as you and I might have to skip the whole OMW. Let's hope you enjoy the final two...:nailbiting:

10. Darth Tater

Beginning The Human Division (Book 5 of 6 in The Old Man's War by John Scalzi. I have high hopes for this one. Book 4 was the weakest
    . 2-3-1-4 so far. I think this one will be the clincher as to how I will feel overall about the series. It has many weaknesses but I still think it is pretty good. I'm not sorry I bought them at a $2.99 per book discount. I'm coming off a personal low in the series but I was getting pretty excited about it before book 4.

11. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I'm currently reading Caliban's War (Expanse #2), and Mother of Eden (sequel to Dark Eden by Chris Beckett).

Enjoying both, a lot.

12. Khartun

Just started the 5th book in Marko Kloos excellent Frontline series, Fields of Fire.

13. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

How many books are now planned in this series, do you know? I'm sure you once told me it'd be a 5 book series, but I see on Wikipedia that a 6th book is being written.

14. Khartun

Yes, I believe there will be 6 now.