May 2015: Which Fantasy Books Were We Reading?

Ser Pounce

Journeyed there and back again
Still working on Ship of Destiny. Haven't been able to read much the past few weeks. Think I have to put Liveship Traders over Farseer so far, though.

ofer

40% into Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence and thoroughly enjoying it. I like this book so much better than The Broken Empire books. Also, as a bonus, gone are the hated Fecks so when a character swears I can finally understand what they mean.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got 4 pages left of Stone of Farewell. I'm listening to Tigana still, probably around 60% in. I've started reading Master and Margarita this morning.

Hand of Fear

40% into Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence
I'm reading the first book and I'm finding it pretty average at the moment, my main issue is with the writing which seems very basic and simple.

So my question would be does it get better in the second book, and by that I mean richer and maybe deeper.

The storyline is decent, though I can't help but feel that Jorg has been written up as being violent for the sake of being violent.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I've got about 150 pages left in The Well of Ascension (Mistborn series). After this I will continue with The Hero of Ages (the final installment of the trilogy).

kenubrion

I'm also just starting Prince of Fools. Three out of the first six posts reading the same book? That $1.99 price is working!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I started Master and Margarita, and put away Master and Margarita. This isn't for me I don't think. Maybe I'm just not in the right frame of mind at the moment to read this, so may pick up again in the future.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I started Master and Margarita, and put away Master and Margarita. This isn't for me I don't think. Maybe I'm just not in the right frame of mind at the moment to read this, so may pick up again in the future.
People who know a thing or two about the Russian history and who recognize what this satirical book is REALLY about tend to enjoy it more on different levels.
People who don't really understand this satire can still enjoy the book on the surface level as a fantasy book.

Master & Margarita is one of my favorite books not just in fantasy but in general. I think ofer feels the same way.
I would advise you not to give up immediately on it.

ofer

I'm reading the first book and I'm finding it pretty average at the moment, my main issue is with the writing which seems very basic and simple.
So my question would be does it get better in the second book, and by that I mean richer and maybe deeper.
I'm assuming you're asking about Prince of Thorns rather than Prince of Fools? Lawrence writing seemed decent enough for me throughout the trilogy. I'm no expert but it was fine. Wouldn't compare his prose to Rothfuss, but there are very few in that particular category.
I like his writing better in Prince of Fools, although I can't decide if the writing is better or if I simply like the story more.

I'm also just starting Prince of Fools. Three out of the first six posts reading the same book? That $1.99 price is working!
Yup. Exactly why I started it. As a rule (more of a guideline which I break occasionally), I'm not a fan of starting an unfinished series, but hey, it was already on my kindle.

sopranosfan

I finished listening to The Ocean at the End of the Lane and after 2 books I think I am officially in the Gaiman fan club. It is an incredible book with elements of fantasy and horror and was a joy to listen to. The only down point is Gaiman was the narrator to the audiobook and while he was a competent reader he really didn't differentiate the characters voices which was sometime difficult during dialogue with the name at the end of a character's dialogue. But still an incredible book.

About a 1/4th the way finished with Assassin's Apprentice and I am enjoying it. The writing is great and the story is very good but so far it is very light on fantasy and action, but it is building the character so I will forgive that in this book.

Just started listening to Dresden 5: Death Masks. Too early for an opinion but I liked the first two and really liked the last two so I'm sure I will enjoy it.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just starting the Lightbringer Series. I wanted to wait until the entire series was complete, but then I saw that the next book isn't due until summer 2016. I have had the 3 released books chillin' on my shelf for a while so I decided to just go for it. About 400 page into the Black Prism and really liking it so far!
I have terrible willpower, but when it comes to not starting unfinished series, I have super hero quantities of willpower in abundance! I know I'm missing out on some cracking books, but there's no cracking me. Patrick Rothfuss is testing my willpower to the max, but I will be victorious .. I WILL BEAT YOU PATRICK ROTHFUSS!

Nuomer1

I'm new here . . . currently reading Maplecroft: The Borden Dispatches.. Odd work, hints of late 19th century style, but far more readable than genuine work of that era. Reading gives me a break from writing . . .

Griffin

Haven't been reading that much. I've read about a 100 pages of The Vagrant, but it's not connecting. They way it's written doesn't really make you connect to any character.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm new here . . . currently reading Maplecroft: The Borden Dispatches.. Odd work, hints of late 19th century style, but far more readable than genuine work of that era. Reading gives me a break from writing . . .
Welcome to the forum! :)

Boreas

Staff member
Started "The Straight Razor Cure" by Daniel Polansky.

Last edited:

afa

I hadn't heard of that one, but reading the description on Amazon, it does sound pretty interesting. A unique take on the infamous case. Do let us know how you like it once you are done. And welcome to the forums!