May 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, May 1, 2017.

1. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I'm not reading any fantasy at the moment, but I am sure you are! Go!

2. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I didn't post or read any of April.

Just finished Mort~Terry Pratchett.

Chronologically best so far. Whereas the first two read like a parody travelogue, stopping at various locations to parody a different fantasy series, this one has more focus. It parodies three series throughout and it sprinkles others in. The bulk of the plot is parodying "great expectations" ("boy", "it's mort") prachett spend a great deal of time bringing his jokes from the other books and restructuring them (how many times can you parody your own joke on how slow the dawn is?) There is also a significant Robert E Howard influence on the counties Sto Lat, Sto Heilet and(cough) Krull.

The original content of this book seems to be stolen borrowed and reused throughout modern cinema (Crow, dead like me, Pushing daisies, et cetera) which hails to the genius of the book, and influence it holds (unless im mistaken) i particularly liked
    the constant plot twists near the end, you go in thinking the ending will be one way as soon as the conflict appears, but the closer to the end the more frequent the plot twists until you are forced to put up your hands and say "I give up, I'll just wait until you tell me what the ending is. The ending was predictable though,the writer I think put all those twists to try and pull you off the scent, excellent descion.
    8.5/10

3. Silvion Night

Nice review. Is this your first read-through? What did you think of Death as a character?

Also, I'm not sure if you are already aware, but there is a dedicated thread about Discworld in the book-club section here. It might be fun to compare our views on the series.

4. Bierschneeman

Thank you.

No it's not my first read through, but my first in a long while. As of January I am reading one a month, or trying. I first became aware of discworld in 06 or 07 when then hogfather movie came out, I read a bunch of books then but skipped the majority. My favorite remains to be going postal.

Death, isn't he the wolverine of discworld? You are required to love him. I like him enough. Though I noticed by reading them chronologically that death at the end of this book is more like death in the books after, but death at the beginning of this book is more like death of the three books previous. Makes this book more important that way, it's a growth book, or transition.

Yes I am aware of the club thread, but I only saw your reviews on it so I didn't want to step on toes. I have been reading them as i progress. I also have two prachett reviews on page three of March fantasy thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, he said, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

I bought The Eye of the World yesterday. I'm so excited!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Kings of the Wyld.

8. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Not sure if "Lord of the Flies" brushes with the fantasy genre enough to count for this thread, but its points for strangeness would probably fit the bill. A nice book, some great social commentaries, but it was somewhat too sporadic in nature for it to be called a great book on story structure alone.

I continue my explorations of the YA fantasy sub-genre with "The Alchemists of Loom" by Elise Kova. I am still at the beginning, so I cannot really guess if the book is fine.

I have also started with "The Last Wish" by Andrzej Sapkowski - it's supposed to be a good place for entering into The Witcher universe, right? It would be nice if someone could confirm this.

9. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Complete works of HP Lovecraft, just for a select few: The Doom that came to Sarnath, The Temple, Celephais, and Facts concering the late Arthur Jermyn and his family.
    Just had a hankerin'.
    Still chugging along with Conan and toying with picking up Dark Tower.

10. Silvion Night

@Alucard would know this. I believe she's a fan of the series and I remember her posting a reading order some time ago.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

@ExTended ideally the recommendation is to start with The Last Wish, then do Sword of Truth and only after those have been done move on to Blood of Elves. There are pieces that I'm told BOE notes from the previous books that won't make sense without the context.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

@ExTended
    Here's a thread where we talk about witcher books http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/threads/the-witcher-books.1650/
    Opening post has a reading order, but just in case you don't wanna browse the thread here it is

1. The Last Wish (Witcher #1)
    2. The Sword of Destiny (Witcher #2)
    3. Blood of Elves (Witcher #3)
    4. Time of Contempt (Witcher #4)
    5. Baptism of Fire (Witcher #5)
    6. Tower of the Swallows (Witcher #6)
    7. The Lady of the Lake (Witcher #7)

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. kenubrion

Yeah, since I've already read Blood of Elves, before Sword of Destiny was made available, I'm all confused about a lot in Sword. I liked Last Wish so much I went straight to Blood of Elves.

14. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

To those who think 'but this is just numerical order' the release schedule was all kinds of weird for the UK / presumably elsewhere so Tower of Swallows was out before Sword of Destiny.

15. Alucard

Yes. Gollancz did a number on the numbering lol
    I think they didn't even get the rights to translations of all the books all the way until Witcher 3 made a bang in the gaming world.

I'll keep an eye out for deals on Sword of Destiny for you. Since you liked The Last Wish, I think you would like SoD as well because they are both short story collections (albeit connected short stories). In my opinion SoD is even better than The Last Wish.

16. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

Today is the day people. The day I start THE WHEEL OF TIME!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bierschneeman

I'll likely join you in July or August.

Am I procrastinating?
    Probably, but I feel I want to clear my immediate reading queue.

Today I start American gods, I promised April, but I start in May.

19. kenubrion

I have Sword, I was just saying that having read Blood of Elves already makes Sword a confusing read at times, especially the relationship of Geralt and Yennifer.

20. Alucard

You should have gone back and started from the beginning. Reading Blood of Elves, than Sword is going backwards in a series that has continuity. No wonder you are confused about Geralt and Yennfer, but probably Geralt and Ciri as well?