May 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
This might not be the place to put this but I watched American Gods last night on Amazon Prime. I had quit reading about 1/3 of the way through the book years ago as I felt it was too weird. Some cool characters but it was just too much/over the top for me. The TV show is definitely rated R (almost X in one scene) and is produced well. Looked great in UHD. There are some good actors in it but I felt the same way about the TV show as I did the book. Cool characters, some interest there but over the top weird in ways that I don't think I will follow through on. After one episode I think people's feelings on the TV show will mirror the book.

Matticus Primal

This might not be the place to put this but I watched American Gods last night on Amazon Prime. I had quit reading about 1/3 of the way through the book years ago as I felt it was too weird. Some cool characters but it was just too much/over the top for me. The TV show is definitely rated R (almost X in one scene) and is produced well. Looked great in UHD. There are some good actors in it but I felt the same way about the TV show as I did the book. Cool characters, some interest there but over the top weird in ways that I don't think I will follow through on. After one episode I think people's feelings on the TV show will mirror the book.
As much as I love Gaiman, I never thought this was his strongest work, though for different reasons that you did. To me it seemed too large to be a self contained story, so I think the expanded canvas of a continuing TV series will do wonders for it. All my friends are raving after the first episode, but I'm holding out until there's at least six so I can shotgun 'em all at once.

Kalavan

Finished Lloyd's The Stormcaller, and I definitely didn't like it, it was quite bland and messy, the world building and the interplay between the different "factions" seemed interesting, but they were presented in an extremely confusing way, too many vague hints and unannounced shifts of the perspective, too many threads to follow and too many characters with their own agendas in the mix. An extremely ambitious book, probably too much for a debut, which fall short due to the overly serious tone and the inconsistent MC.
Still, in the very last part of the book things slowly started to come together, and since I've liked quite a bit Lloyd's later books I'm probably going to give book 2 of The Twilight Reigns a chance in the future.

Now browsing through a few samples on my Kindle, trying to decide what's next

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Lloyd's The Stormcaller, and I definitely didn't like it, it was quite bland and messy, the world building and the interplay between the different "factions" seemed interesting, but they were presented in an extremely confusing way, too many vague hints and unannounced shifts of the perspective, too many threads to follow and too many characters with their own agendas in the mix. An extremely ambitious book, probably too much for a debut, which fall short due to the overly serious tone and the inconsistent MC.
Still, in the very last part of the book things slowly started to come together, and since I've liked quite a bit Lloyd's later books I'm probably going to give book 2 of The Twilight Reigns a chance in the future.

Now browsing through a few samples on my Kindle, trying to decide what's next
I thought it was extremely bland. I'd put it up there with one of the worst fantasy books I've read. Shame as I bought the entire series from a charity shop .. they're just sat gathering dust.

Maark Abbott

So I'm still going through Scarlet Tides and I have to say certain aspects are a bit of a slog, in the way that they feel super forced. The interaction between Kazim and Elena, for instance - it's obviously a setup for saucy times, but it's so cringeworthy in handling that it's hurting the experience a bit.

Kalavan

I thought it was extremely bland. I'd put it up there with one of the worst fantasy books I've read.
A little bit too harsh IMHO - I've read far worse fantasy books - but yeah, surely a mediocre read

So I'm still going through Scarlet Tides and I have to say certain aspects are a bit of a slog, in the way that they feel super forced.
Now that is disappointing, since I've just started the first book of this series, Mage's Blood - just around the 8% mark, but liking it thus far

rudyjuly2

Finished book 9 of WOT. Not sure if it was worse than book 8 but these last two books have been the weakest for me. The first 1/3 of book 9 had almost nothing interesting. I couldn't read more than 10 pages at times before putting it down. The political maneuverings with nobles by Elayne just doesn't interest me. I don't want to say too much for a couple of people that are starting to read the series but Mat saved the book for me. The ending was good but the Mat's sections when he finally comes back were the best in the book.

Now on to Book 10 which is the lowest reviewed book in the series on Goodreads and has appalling scores on Canadian Amazon. The Canadian version has 1367 votes out of 2126 as 1/5 stars. I don't really know how that's possible but once I'm through book 10 that I'm into the good home stretch!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Finished book 9 of WOT. Not sure if it was worse than book 8 but these last two books have been the weakest for me. The first 1/3 of book 9 had almost nothing interesting. I couldn't read more than 10 pages at times before putting it down. The political maneuverings with nobles by Elayne just doesn't interest me. I don't want to say too much for a couple of people that are starting to read the series but Mat saved the book for me. The ending was good but the Mat's sections when he finally comes back were the best in the book.

Now on to Book 10 which is the lowest reviewed book in the series on Goodreads and has appalling scores on Canadian Amazon. The Canadian version has 1367 votes out of 2126 as 1/5 stars. I don't really know how that's possible but once I'm through book 10 that I'm into the good home stretch!
Don't be too apprehensive. Books 8, 9 and 10 are certainly the slowest in the series, and I do remember I liked them least of all because of all the irrelevant additions (side-characters, descriptions about dresses, silly political maneuvering, ear-boxing) and not much things happening.

HOWEVER:

When you check the 1-star reviews of book 10 you can see they are mostly reviews from the year 2003. That's when the book was released. These are all from readers who eagerly awaited the next release in the series, but were at the same time apprehensive (because of the relatively slow pace of books 8 and 9). Then when the book came out (at first only in hard-cover which, if I remember correctly, was about 45 bucks) it turned out to be another relatively slow book. This ticked off many readers. So you see these reviews are very colored by this.

Looking back I would probably rate the book with a 6.5 or a 7. It's not bad by any means. It's just slower when compared to the earlier and later books.

What I'm trying to say here is; persevere. Just 1 more relatively slow book to go. Book 11 picks up speed again and the series is a blast from that point on.

Maark Abbott

A little bit too harsh IMHO - I've read far worse fantasy books - but yeah, surely a mediocre read

Now that is disappointing, since I've just started the first book of this series, Mage's Blood - just around the 8% mark, but liking it thus far
Don't get me wrong, in the main it's pretty good. It's just certain aspects seeming so forced, and I'm getting an undertone from the dialogue that the author is trying to say 'PACHURARCKY BAD!'. Hopefully it picks up again soon.

kenubrion

You should have gone back and started from the beginning. Reading Blood of Elves, than Sword is going backwards in a series that has continuity. No wonder you are confused about Geralt and Yennfer, but probably Geralt and Ciri as well?
Haven't gotten to Ciri yet in Sword. But again in my defense when I read Last Wish, Sword was not available yet so I read Blood.

Kalavan

Maark Abbott

Sorry mate, it took a me a while to get what you were talking about with the Bakkakening, this time I won't even try ;). Just glad that
To simplify: When it isn't trying to preach about social issues, it's good.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reached the 70% mark of the last Age of Iron book by Angus Watson. Been reading this for nearly a month now, and whilst not disliking it, I'm just struggling to get to the finish line. Maybe it's a reading slump I'm in, but i'm already constantly thinking of what my next read is going to be, which is never a good sign.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Reached the 70% mark of the last Age of Iron book by Angus Watson. Been reading this for nearly a month now, and whilst not disliking it, I'm just struggling to get to the finish line. Maybe it's a reading slump I'm in, but i'm already constantly thinking of what my next read is going to be, which is never a good sign.
For what it's worth, I think the ending is pretty good, but I did struggle a bit with that one as well.

ReguIa

150 pages into The Eye of the World. Very good so far, I can already tell this is going to be amazing.

I think I'm going to be stuck in this series for a very, very long time. I know many dislike how fond Jordan is of describing everything in such detail, but I love it.

Compared to Lightbringer which was super fast paced, and still very good, this is more my style. I love these slow burners.

Last edited:

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Red Sister by Mack Lawrence.

Sister Tallow,"I will teach you how to make the fuckers bleed" <- I've missed you fantasy! The genre where this is normal nun like behaviour.