May 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Danica! Welcome back, and nice to see you're enjoying fantasy again.

I'm reading The Waste Lands and really enjoying it. I liked Gunslinger, loved The Drawing of the Three, and TWL as well. I think this just keeps getting better. I wanna read more Stephen King when I finish The Dark Tower.

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Danica! Welcome back, and nice to see you're enjoying fantasy again.

I'm reading The Waste Lands and really enjoying it. I liked Gunslinger, loved The Drawing of the Three, and TWL as well. I think this just keeps getting better. I wanna read more Stephen King when I finish The Dark Tower.

*spoiler free*

Book 3 was one of my favorites. It gets even better later in the book. 90% of book 4 Roland tells them a totally kick ass story which takes you into his past. Pay close attention to the background as they travel while he relates the story. I'm slow and it would have enhanced my experience had I caught on quicker. Book 5 is a diversion along the way and was my personal favorite but that is a minority opinion. Book 6 focuses mostly on a main character other than Roland. Naturally in book 7 it all hits the fan. It is interesting. Near the very end of book 7 he warns you that you may not want to read the epilogue because you may not like it. As if anyone would heed the warning...

It should start getting a bit clearer to you now. It was many years between book 3 and 4. All the others were pretty close together. Book one was the weakest, IMO. They get longer starting with book 3, IIRC.

There are some very brief cameo appearances you may or may not recognize if you haven't read his past books. So many of his books are connected to the Dark Tower. (It IS Stephen King in more than one sense...remind me of this comment when you finish the series). One past character from a previous book DOES plays a maor part. (I hadn't read the book but King gives a very good background). There is also a shocking appearance much later.

My favorites in order from best to least were books 5-4-3-7-6-2-1. It's one of those series that is so different from anything else you've probably read before that I'm pretty sure you'll always remember the entire series quite clearly. I believe that anyone who is still enjoying it after book 2, as you are, will find it impossible not to read the rest of the series. Trust me. IMHO, it only gets much better!

ExTended

I have finished my re-read of The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. I have read it for the first time about 6 or 8 years ago, so the experience was both as reading something beloved and reading something unknown.

And it only strengthened my opinion that Mistborn 1 is still one of Brandon's best works. I am, however, a bit hesitant to continue with the next two books in the trilogy, since my memories from them aren't quite that pleasant, even the contrary - I remember getting quite frustrated about the consequent drop of quality in the trilogy and I am not sure if half a book of Sazed's inner dialogue is what I am after.

Mistborn 1 spoiler:
Killing off Kelsier in book one is probably one of the dumbest and the smartest things ever done in the fantasy genre. In equal amounts. No idea how's that possible, but that's the way I've always felt about this particular plot decision.

Meanwhile I continue my dabbling into The Witcher series and I am probably half-way through The Last Wish. I am not sure about the degree to which I am liking this book - it changes way too often. I am not that big on short stories as a whole, but that's not the author's fault. However, his expositions and info-dumps could've been shorter, especially the ones done through dialogue - it sounds too D&D-ish at places.

At the same time the book's structure is very instructional on how you could build a tapestry of stories and it to make sense. Also, the book somehow manages to entice you to forgive some of its too obvious sword and sorcery moments, turning the experience into a guilty pleasure. And usually those are the books that stay with you, so maybe the author is doing something very clever in the background. Who knows.

Darth Tater

I have finished my re-read of The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. I have read it for the first time about 6 or 8 years ago, so the experience was both as reading something beloved and reading something unknown.

And it only strengthened my opinion that Mistborn 1 is still one of Brandon's best works. I am, however, a bit hesitant to continue with the next two books in the trilogy, since my memories from them aren't quite that pleasant, even the contrary - I remember getting quite frustrated about the consequent drop of quality in the trilogy and I am not sure if half a book of Sazed's inner dialogue is what I am after.

Mistborn 1 spoiler:
Killing off Kelsier in book one is probably one of the dumbest and the smartest things ever done in the fantasy genre. In equal amounts. No idea how's that possible, but that's the way I've always felt about this particular plot decision.

Meanwhile I continue my dabbling into The Witcher series and I am probably half-way through The Last Wish. I am not sure about the degree to which I am liking this book - it changes way too often. I am not that big on short stories as a whole, but that's not the author's fault. However, his expositions and info-dumps could've been shorter, especially the ones done through dialogue - it sounds too D&D-ish at places.

At the same time the book's structure is very instructional on how you could build a tapestry of stories and it to make sense. Also, the book somehow manages to entice you to forgive some of its too obvious sword and sorcery moments, turning the experience into a guilty pleasure. And usually those are the books that stay with you, so maybe the author is doing something very clever in the background. Who knows.

Yeah. Before I even read your spoiler I was thinkng the same thing. I would have enjoyed the next two books more but for that.'

It was funny. Every time I came across Sazed I pictured Squidward :meh: from SpongeBob. He was that kind of guy .His obsession with his clarinet was like Sazed with his books. I could not ever get the image out of my head. He was a green octopus the entire book. (Yes, squidward was indeed an octopus and not a squid).

ReguIa

Mistborn 1 spoiler:
Spoiler
Totally agree with that spoiler. Without that happening the book wouldn't have been as good as it currently is. I understand how that decision turned people off the sequels but I loved them probably just as much. Well of Ascension was weaker but the ending of it more than made up for the first half of the book. Hero of Ages is for me just as good as book 1. Amazing ending.

The only weak books in the Cosmere so far is IMO the Wax & Wayne Mistborn books. They are entertaining reads but they are a little too simple for my tastes. I'm really longing for the next big trilogy:(

Ryan W. Mueller

Totally agree with that spoiler. Without that happening the book wouldn't have been as good as it currently is. I understand how that decision turned people off the sequels but I loved them probably just as much. Well of Ascension was weaker but the ending of it more than made up for the first half of the book. Hero of Ages is for me just as good as book 1. Amazing ending.

The only weak books in the Cosmere so far is IMO the Wax & Wayne Mistborn books. They are entertaining reads but they are a little too simple for my tastes. I'm really longing for the next big trilogy:(
I love the Wax & Wayne books. They're simpler, but that's part of the fun.

ExTended

Yeah, I think of the Way and Wayne books as going back to the roots of what Mistborn 1 started - mindless fun, awesome magic, daring plans, pleasant banter. I prefer a very solid simplistic book, over a poorly executed complex book( Mistborn 2 and 3, although calling them complex is a bit of overstatement, but still) any day of the week.

Meanwhile I've started with Beyonders book one by Brandon Mull. Excluding Harry Potter and The Reckoners, I haven't really explored the lower YA genre well enough. I've been reading some upper YA as part of my "let's check out what the other authors are doing, in case I one day try for the YA fantasy sub-genre" but the constant love triangles and pentagons aren't exactly my cup of tea... And now I hope to find a more story-centered books in the series not aimed at teenage girls specifically.

Also Rick Riordan have made it into my country's mandatory books list for 5th graders( the first contemporary fantasy to ever grace those lists), so those authors are probably doing something right. :) Speaking of which - any recommendations concerning the worthier lower YA fantasy series would be more than welcome.

Ryan W. Mueller

Yeah, I think of the Way and Wayne books as going back to the roots of what Mistborn 1 started - mindless fun, awesome magic, daring plans, pleasant banter. I prefer a very solid simplistic book, over a poorly executed complex book( Mistborn 2 and 3, although calling them complex is a bit of overstatement, but still) any day of the week.

Meanwhile I've started with Beyonders book one by Brandon Mull. Excluding Harry Potter and The Reckoners, I haven't really explored the lower YA genre well enough. I've been reading some upper YA as part of my "let's check out what the other authors are doing, in case I one day try for the YA fantasy sub-genre" but the constant love triangles and pentagons aren't exactly my cup of tea... And now I hope to find a more story-centered books in the series not aimed at teenage girls specifically.

Also Rick Riordan have made it into my country's mandatory books list for 5th graders( the first contemporary fantasy to ever grace those lists), so those authors are probably doing something right. :) Speaking of which - any recommendations concerning the worthier lower YA fantasy series would be more than welcome.
With Mull, I would actually recommend starting with his Fablehaven series or reading his newest Five Kingdoms series. I've read those two and Beyonders, and while I enjoyed Beyonders, it was the weakest of the three. Beyonders and Five Kingdoms are very loosely connected, but there's no risk of missing out by reading the later series first.

For some more YA, you might also try Sanderson's other YA entry, The Rithmatist. He's also written the Alcatraz vs. The Evil Librarians series. It's a middle grade fantasy that's very much a comic fantasy (and, yes, I know that Sanderson's humor doesn't work for everybody).

As a side note, Brandon Mull is more of a middle grade author than young adult. Think of middle grade as the books kids read from about 8 to 12, occasionally 13 or 14. Middle grade tends to be lighter on romance and love triangles and more focused on adventures. I write it sometimes myself, and it's a lot of fun.

Cyphon

With Mull, I would actually recommend starting with his Fablehaven series or reading his newest Five Kingdoms series. I've read those two and Beyonders, and while I enjoyed Beyonders, it was the weakest of the three. Beyonders and Five Kingdoms are very loosely connected, but there's no risk of missing out by reading the later series first.

For some more YA, you might also try Sanderson's other YA entry, The Rithmatist. He's also written the Alcatraz vs. The Evil Librarians series. It's a middle grade fantasy that's very much a comic fantasy (and, yes, I know that Sanderson's humor doesn't work for everybody).
I will second Fablehaven and The Rithmatist. Been a long time since I read either of the 2 but I remember them being enjoyable. You also check out the Candy Shop War and Arcade Catastrophe by Mull. He is definitely geared towards a very young audience but he does offer some interesting ideas.

ExTended

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - especially since I've been feeling kind of awkward reading fantasy for 12 years old children. It's nice knowing I am not alone in this. :)

I've actually read The Rithmatist and it's quite fine book. Just forgot to mention it. The Hobbit too. Anyone with an opinion about Rick Riordan's stuff? Where is the best place to start when it comes to his works?

And damn Robin Hobb's publisher for delaying the Assassin's Fate audiobook a week after the hardcover release. I feel as if everyone is talking about this book for days now and it's not even on Audible yet.

Ryan W. Mueller

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - especially since I've been feeling kind of awkward reading fantasy for 12 years old children. It's nice knowing I am not alone in this. :)

I've actually read The Rithmatist and it's quite fine book. Just forgot to mention it. The Hobbit too. Anyone with an opinion about Rick Riordan's stuff? Where is the best place to start when it comes to his works?

And damn Robin Hobb's publisher for delaying the Assassin's Fate audiobook a week after the hardcover release. I feel as if everyone is talking about this book for days now and it's not even on Audible yet.
With Riordan, I'd probably start at the beginning with The Lightning Thief. His stuff's quite a bit of fun. Not all that complex, but there's a lot of action and quite a few humorous moments.

And I wouldn't worry about the age group for what you're reading. If you like reading it, read it. I first got into reading middle grade fantasy because I occasionally write it myself and decided I needed to do some research. After reading a bit, I decided that I simply enjoy the stories. They scratch a different itch for me. I'm not always in the mood for the heavier adult stuff.

Cyphon

I have only read the Olympians stuff but it is worth checking out. Especially because there is already a lot of content if you do end up enjoying it. You have the original 5 books and then he revisits the world and you get another 5 that are also already written.

rudyjuly2

I'm going to have to read the Mistborn trilogy at some point.

Struggling a bit with Book 10 in WOT. I'm 85 pages in and they are all secondary characters so far. Books 7-10 have barely advanced the overall plot.

kenubrion

Knight's Shadow because I just bought it due to Alucard's post in the Amazon flash sales thread that it and it's sequel Saint's Blood are both $1.99 so go buy them if you read book 1 and didn't go on because of the cost of the next books, like me. These are books 2 and 3 in the Greatcoats series with book 4, Tyrant's Throne, coming out next month on June 6, which may explain the price drop since that calls attention to Sebastion de Castell's excellent debut series.

Last edited:

ReguIa

Anyone with an opinion about Rick Riordan's stuff? Where is the best place to start when it comes to his works?
Yea start with The Lightning Thief. After that first series, the next one is also worth reading, Heroes of Olympus. Everything else he's written after that is so far nothing special. I'm on the fence about those ( Trials of Apollo and Magnus Chase )

I liked the first Norse book, but the second one was a step down.

JHBSmith

Told lies with Locke

Quite in agreement about The Rithmatist. Have you tried Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus books?

Also, I would like to recommend my own book, as it's aimed at a similar age group - but that's coming out early next year, so I'll have to wait on that one :)

Ryan W. Mueller

I'm going to have to read the Mistborn trilogy at some point.

Struggling a bit with Book 10 in WOT. I'm 85 pages in and they are all secondary characters so far. Books 7-10 have barely advanced the overall plot.
Don't worry. It gets better once you get past this book. Book 11 is a step up, and then 12 through 14 are amazing. Sanderson didn't nail everything, but he brought some new life to the series.

Cyphon

Oh crap, I almost forgot. You should definitely check out The Tapestry series by Henry H. Neff. I would rank that above the likes of Percy Jackson and Fablehaven even though those series are both solid in their own right. Can't believe I almost forgot that one.

Ryan W. Mueller

Oh crap, I almost forgot. You should definitely check out The Tapestry series by Henry H. Neff. I would rank that above the likes of Percy Jackson and Fablehaven even though those series are both solid in their own right. Can't believe I almost forgot that one.
Might have to give that one a try. Sounds like a story I might enjoy.