May 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

fbones24

Journeyed there and back again
For some reason I started reading "Prince of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence. I avoided this one for a long time thinking it would be bleh with a lot of cliche stuff. 90% later and I have to say I really enjoyed it. So much so, I will read the rest of the series.

kenubrion

For some reason I started reading "Prince of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence. I avoided this one for a long time thinking it would be bleh with a lot of cliche stuff. 90% later and I have to say I really enjoyed it. So much so, I will read the rest of the series.
That's great, bones. I was skeptical also but really liked it and next two are even better.

ExTended

You should definitely check out The Tapestry series by Henry H. Neff.
I was thinking about that one, but now it'd definitely joins my middle-grade fantasy TBR.

In the meanwhile - I have finished with The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. I've liked it well enough, but the D&D elements in it were a little bit too heavy at times. My two biggest complaints - the exposition/info-dumps are way too prominent and even thought at places it's done by dialogues, it just makes the dialogues to seem awkward and unnatural. Too many "maid and butler"( I think that was how it's called) type world-building/conversations.

My second big complaint are the romantic/sexual interactions. Way too Mary Sue at places. And at a few places the main character does some very conflicting things in that regard - she loves, she loves me not, I kill her, I kill her not. Come on...

Besides that - the book is interesting enough. It has a good structure in place, so while it's a collection of short-stories, they feel loosely connected and the reader gets a sense of progress. The stories themselves are nice too, although at places I wasn't completely sold on the motivations of the main character or some of the side characters.

I'd give the book 7/10, bordering on 7.5/10. At the end of the book the narrator said "published in 1994" or something like that and I was like "Aha, that's like it's so D&D." Not a great excuse, but hopefully as the time goes, the author would have had grown out of the bad habits described above and the next books are better written when it comes to exposition and characterization.

I've started a Mistborn book 2 re-read. I've also started The Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb, after Audible were kind enough to finally release the thing.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Finally finished Red Tide by Marc Turner. This series is growing on me (I had thought this book would be the end of the series but, having finished it, it is clearly not the end). But it takes a bit of a time investment to get into. I was unenthusiastic about the first book but the author is connecting things from the first book to events later in the series and it seems like he did a good job planning this out. So I will buy the next one when it comes out.

Will start With Blood Upon the Sand by Bradley P. Beaulieu tomorrow morning (I read books in paper while doing face masks in the morning).

Not reading anything on the Kindle right now (have actually had work to do during the day).

Hand of Fear

I've been reading The Drawing of the Three, really enjoying this series so far and I think it will end up being my favourite for the whole year !

The second book has started to tie some of the very loose knots together from the first book, and things are explained in a bit more detail. The three main characters are really well thought out (though one of them did start to get a bit annoying) and an interesting mix, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this adventure leads.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
The three main characters are really well thought out (though one of them did start to get a bit annoying)
Is it Detta Walker?
I felt she was annoying, but in the end everything resolves so beautifully, I couldn't be mad at her anymore. Last 100 pages were the best for me. First 100 with Eddie on airplane were awesome too.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Is it Detta Walker?
I felt she was annoying, but in the end everything resolves so beautifully, I couldn't be mad at her anymore. Last 100 pages were the best for me. First 100 with Eddie on airplane were awesome too.
Eddie on the airplane was great. King is at his best when he writes about his personal experiences (in this case addiction).

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Eddie on the airplane was great. King is at his best when he writes about his personal experiences (in this case addiction).
Yes I can see how that would be beneficial to draw from as inspiration. Thankfully those days are over for him. Quite a while ago I watched a few of his speeches now that he's older and he strikes me as very down to earth and open to talk about that stuff. Loved hearing his speech at Lowell Uni. He's a source of inspiration but also full of practical advice. For the most part, I can say I have no ambition to write, but for some reason a lot of what he says resonates with me. He's also funny :)

Here's the speech for anyone curious

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Yes I can see how that would be beneficial to draw from as inspiration. Thankfully those days are over for him. Quite a while ago I watched a few of his speeches now that he's older and he strikes me as very down to earth and open to talk about that stuff. Loved hearing his speech at Lowell Uni. He's a source of inspiration but also full of practical advice. For the most part, I can say I have no ambition to write, but for some reason a lot of what he says resonates with me. He's also funny :)

Here's the speech for anyone curious
I know exactly what you mean. He resonates with me too. That's why he is one of my favorite authors. To me his characters, especially in his later works (let's say from The Shining onwards), feel so human.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I started With Blood Upon the Sand this morning. I only get about 10 minute chunks, give or take, to read hardbacks each weekday morning, but this one is off to a really strong start. There was an action scene that led to the heroine getting information that will surely be important later, and reintroduced the world with a minimum of infodumping. Brad Beaulieu isn't as well known as he should be, because he is a very good writer. I've loved everything of his I've picked up so far.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished the last Age of Iron book a couple of days ago. As Sneaky said, it had a good ending, and in my opinion, overall it was a decent trilogy. The first book was brilliant, the second mediocre, the third hints of both.

I thought Watson did Caesar much better in the third book than in the second. He had more of a personality and this is one of the main reasons things improved for me.

I'd definitely pick up whatever Watson released next.

Hand of Fear

Is it Detta Walker?
Yes it was Detta, glad I'm not the only one who thought so. Eddie is my favourite and had one of the best scenes
the shootout at Balazar's was great

I think for me though the best part of the series so far was
coming of age, I actually felt as if I was there and it was a very vivid

Hand of Fear

I agree, those parts came across very well in this book and I felt that it was missing from his book Revival. From what I remember it's only touched apon once, and not in much detail.

Darth Tater

Yes it was Detta, glad I'm not the only one who thought so. Eddie is my favourite and had one of the best scenes
the shootout at Balazar's was great

I think for me though the best part of the series so far was
coming of age, I actually felt as if I was there and it was a very vivid

Awwwww...you ain't seen nothin' yet. He's still just setting things up. Book 3 is where he really gets...errr..."rolling". ;) I remember so much from it which is highly unusual for me. Especially having completed it almost two decades ago. The main characters are absolutely unforgettable. I'm so happy this book is finally being discussed. :joyful: I wonder if anyone is interested in a "Dark Tower" thread. Perhaps even move these posts. Or is it preferable and acceptable to just keep talking about it here?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Not sure why I never read it. Worthwhile?

Began the journey To Green Angel Tower. :)
It's definitely worth it. It's a story within a story. Structure-wise I thought it was really cool and the story itself is fun too. It is in no way a necessary read (in that it doesn't have an impact on the main story), but if you liked the main series it's worth a read.

Maark Abbott

Struggling with Scarlet Tides now. The author has a tendency to make his characters to random acts of vindictive assholeishness to set up detailed sex / sexual violence which is then a setup for a plot point. Trouble is, he makes it seems overly gratuitous and the story would be better for not having it. Disappointing. Will I go to book 3 or not?