May 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
Just finished ,...a ton of Conan the barbarian ~Robert e Howard

You can read "red nails" and skip my review

By that I mean..i went through Howard's Conan bibliography and read everything I could find. (I think I missed three, plus a witch is born which I will read tomorrow) some physical copies which was recommended to me by someone here a few years ago(these are rereads) (tom?) Some pdfs, some audio books.

The Arnold Schwarzenegger movies are the worst adaptations from books ever (second to the all starcasted bonfire of the vanities) in the movies Conan is dumb...like really dumb.. all brawny no brainy . In the books he is crafty cagey, clever, wellwhitted, and more intelligent than most professors I have met. With a deep knowledge of ancient art, politics, theology, war tactics, more than two dozen languages both written and spoken (some ancient and forgotten) .

I have heard people complain about the sexism and racism in the books, well they are right as much as they are wrong. Conan is suggested to raping a few of his ladies, constantly forcing himself on them. But most stories he doesn't, or there isn't a female lead. Many times though the author has to describe all the ...curves. for racism, it's not really, but the world is very much so an ancient earth of sorts. And you have to feel a little awkward reading about someone from Crimea (I mean cimmeria) nearby the caucus mountains, travel around the world teaching brown and black people the benevolence of his rule.

There's a lot of real world references in these place names, like (adjusted to real world spellings) himmilayas(which over look the eastern kingdoms and india) Persia (iranistan) Afghanistan (afghulistan) , India, (zendyha) , kush, spain( aquilonia) and they all are described similarly.

Okay the best Conan short story I gave a 9.9 , Red Nails, it s set in an old Maya temple/city or this worlds version. And it's wonderful. The female lead is a strong woman who takes no guff, Conan gives her much respect. And the plot is pretty inventive and fantastic.

Phoenix and the sword, black colossus, and dragon of the hour all deal with "king" Conan of aquilonia and attempts of rich nobles to coup d'etat.all good above par stories.

The lowest score would be 5/10 for one that was sort if slapped together

I've decided I am very fond of sword and sorcery.

Red nails
Red nails
Red nails

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I have been terrible with reading this year and have only finished one book =(

Anything in 2017 so far I need to read? Thinking of picking up Red Sister, though I'm not sure if I like Lawrence...

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
Alright so I finished 'Shadow of Self' and I have to say...I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I remember enjoying the first of the "Wax and Wayne" books. My memories of the first are fuzzy as I was drinking a lot back then, but I remember enjoying it a lot after thinking the Mistborn trilogy was overrated. I just didn't care for Wax as a character at all and was much more interested in the POV's of Wayne and Marasi. 7/10

Anyway, I decided to read Robin Hobb's 'Assassin's Fate' after I read The Lies of Locke Lamora. All the books I've read the last two years are by authors whose work I've previously read and I wanted to read something from someone whose work I haven't read.

Last edited:

ExTended

I have been terrible with reading this year and have only finished one book =(

Anything in 2017 so far I need to read? Thinking of picking up Red Sister, though I'm not sure if I like Lawrence...
Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames - a debut novel, part of a series, but it certainly could be read a stand-alone book, because the story is well-wrapped up in the end. Banter-full sword and sorcery read about a band of washed up old time heroes having a reunion for one last game of let's kill the monsters before they kill us.

Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb if you follow her series. It concludes her latest trilogy in a very nice manner, although the book is not without its faults, it's more or less a very solid read indeed.

Last edited:

Maark Abbott

Finished Scarlet Tides. 6/10. The decent bits were decent indeed but Hair can't write romance to save his life, and his constant use of sexual violence (somewhere between 6-10 instances in one book) in an attempt to be dark and edgy dragged the book down. I could have forgiven the last one if it had added to the story or the setting, but it was handled so badly that it took away from both.

Darth Tater

About 20% through book 3 of memory sorrow and thorn. Loved book one and really liked book two, but it kind of left things open and I think he should have put the first 20% of this book into the last one. At any rate, this is totally exciting and I have a lot more to go !!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
About 20% through book 3 of memory sorrow and thorn. Loved book one and really liked book two, but it kind of left things open and I think he should have put the first 20% of this book into the last one. At any rate, this is totally exciting and I have a lot more to go !!
The end of MST was one of the more emotional moments in my reading career. Despite not being totally bowled over whilst actually reading the series, it has left a lasting impression on me!

Darth Tater

The end of MST was one of the more emotional moments in my reading career. Despite not being totally bowled over whilst actually reading the series, it has left a lasting impression on me!
Those kind of books are the best, IMO. Where I literally shed bittersweet tears. Those leave the greatest lasting impressions on me too. I can't put this down and yet I do. So stressful too which makes it so wonderful.

I am literally moving halfway across the country (from Ida-hell back to Michigan after 16 years) in a couple days so it may be a while before I finish. But it will make the plane rides go quickly!​

JHBSmith

Told lies with Locke
Alright so I finished 'Shadow of Self' and I have to say...I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I remember enjoying the first of the "Wax and Wayne" books. My memories of the first are fuzzy as I was drinking a lot back then, but I remember enjoying it a lot after thinking the Mistborn trilogy was overrated. I just didn't care for Wax as a character at all and was much more interested in the POV's of Wayne and Marasi. 7/10
If it helps, the next book really picks up.

kenubrion

Just started The Six-Gun Tarot.

Cyphon

Still been going through my re-read (listening in this case) of The Dresden Files and just finished up Dead Beat. I haven't felt like reviewing each individually lately but I will say to this point in the story I think my favorite has been Death Masks. Not sure where I stood my first time through but that one stands out the most so far.

One thing this time through is that I am not liking Dresden himself so much all of the time. His anger problems get kind of annoying at times along with his sense of justice that has him making so many stupid decisions. I think the time I respected him most is when Michael wouldn't kill the one guy (can't remember his name) and Harry beats the crap out of him with a bat. I was like FINALLY!

Anyway, I also got the new Benedict Jacka book (Bound) and am started on that. Really hard not to notice the similarities to Dresden Files when reading books from each at the same time.

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
If it helps, the next book really picks up.
I'll probably get to it eventually...but I can't say I'm in much of a hurry. I'll probably start his 'Stormlight Archive' books next. I had been putting it off as I just hate having to wait around for the next installment of a long series, but I hear such good things about it that I think I'm ready to start it now.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Darth Tater

The Lies of Locke Lamora. Enjoying it. So far.
I didn't plan on reading more than one book
( my understanding is that the first book is the best and also that the series may never get finished) but Locke is tentatively scheduled to be read 4 books down the line. I almost read it instead of book 3 of MST but thought better of it. ;)

kenubrion

Sadly I had to drop The Six-Gun Tarot at 23% and started Knight's Shadow. I know it's good.

Cyphon

So I was thinking about starting Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan but I am pretty hazy on the happenings of the first 2 books a this point. I don't really want to dedicate time to a re-read right now so can anyone offer up a good summary of the first 2? Either your own or if you guide me to one that is out there.

rudyjuly2

So I was thinking about starting Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan but I am pretty hazy on the happenings of the first 2 books a this point. I don't really want to dedicate time to a re-read right now so can anyone offer up a good summary of the first 2? Either your own or if you guide me to one that is out there.
I was in the same boat. I ended up rereading the first two books before Queen of Fire and made notes because there were so many minor characters. Here are my notes on the characters from the first two books in the series. Story details are included for the characters but it's not a story recap as much.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7B9QSYxv2ZGLTI5MEN5bF9pR3M/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msword