May 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, May 1, 2017.

1. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Extended, you have made me really look for ward to the first book, Six of Crows. Thanks for those enthusiastic comments.

2. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again

Back to the Malazan world; I started 'Return of the Crimson Guard' this week. I haven't come that far with the good weather this week

3. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I've been slowly working my way through Silverthorn, not because I want it to last though but because it has been a bit of a struggle. I really enjoyed the first book, the world and the story of Pug.

I think the biggest problem I have with this one is that Arutha is the main character, he is likability enough but a bit boring and uninteresting. Then you have what I would call a side character of Jimmy the Hand, who throws a large shadow over Arutha and is much more appealing and some I liked reading about.

Pug does eventually turn up, but we don't spend a lot of time with him and he's not in it enough to bolster a very week Arutha.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

46% into To Green Angel Tower (book 3 MST). I loved book one. I was a bit let down with book two. I thought it was good but pretty much setting the table for book three.But book three from the very beginning is full of action. The characters are all very interesting and I love how things are unfolding. Great world building. I want to meet a Sithi. No. I want to BE a Sithi! :D

Why did I wait so long to read this fantastic series? I eventually plan to do my own top 25 list and have a better idea, but this book is already at worst in the teens.

5. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I'm reading Dragonbone Chair now and enjoying it very much

6. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Recently finished Bane and Shadow by Jon Skovron. It's the second book in his Empire of Storm series.

This is some good fantasy that I think will appeal to fans of Brent Weeks. It gives off a lot of that same vibe as Night Angel, but it is different enough that it isn't a complete copy. I've liked both books. They're fast-paced with an interesting world and characters I like reading about.

7. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Haven't checked in for a while. Still reading Wizard and Glass. The Dark Tower is a wonderful series, I really love it so much, but I haven't had lots of time past few weeks so it's been kinda slow.
    I've also been in the mood for some comedic fantasy and almost bought an audiobook of Redshirts by John Scalzi, but I saw it is narrated by Wil Wheaton and I quickly noped out of there. No offence to the guy, but I can't stand his voice.
    If you guys have a recommendation for something comedic (ideally with a British narrator, but it doesn't have to be) that would be awesome. I could do with some lightheartedness and a few chuckles right now.

8. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Not a fan of hWhil hWheaton, eh?

9. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

His first book Hope and Red, was probably my top 2016 published book when it comes to delivering a good story. All other 2016 books that I've read were directly or indirectly part of longer series and none delivered as much as expected, so Hope and Red truly stood out for me as the very well-written not-too-pretentious kind of story it is.

I think that fans of Michael J. Sullivan's works would feel at some with Jon Skovron's series. I am still waiting for the 2nd book to get its audio narration done and I am checking for it every two weeks or so, but still nothing... Hurry up, Jon Skovron, narrate this book so that we could get some rogue guilty pleasure around here.

EDIT: I have finished with A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir. I'd give it a 7.5/10 - it would've been more if the teen aganst/love triangles weren't as prominent in the book as they were.

And I've started with The Vagrant by Peter Newman. It have started well, I am truly impressed with how dynamic and grounded the book's present tense prose feels. Kind of refreshing, considering how present tense is far more prominent among YA works.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  10. Alucard

I'm a big Star Trek fan (especially next gen and voyager), and I guess stereotypically like a lot of star trek fans I have a dislike for the character he played. Now that shouldn't affect my view of him as a narrator of audiobooks, but in some way it does. I don't like his voice no more than I like seeing him acting.

11. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Red Dwarf. Think we discussed this one previously ..

12. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Good Omens was good on audio too, although I think I would've preferred it in written form. Might be worth a shot though?

13. Alucard

Oh thanks for reminding me. I completely forgot.

I've read this one. Well actually listened few years back. It's brilliant on audio.

14. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I'm back on the hunt for The Dark Tower, currently reading The Waste Lands.

So good to be back with Roland and his posse.

There's something just so welcoming when you read these books. Really enjoying finding out more about Eddies life, and seeing him grow in stature.

@Alucard which book has been your favourite so far, and will you be reading The Wind Through the keyhole ?

15. Alucard

Right now it's a tie between Drawing of the Three and Wizard and Glass.
    I enjoyed that second book because it was such a mix of fantasy sub-genres and I think the way that King has introduced main characters and pulled them into this Dark Tower world is brilliant.
    I loved the fact that all three drawings had their life stories intertwined and I enjoyed the heck out of that psycho that was the 3rd drawing meeting his well deserved end in front of the train.
    This 4th book Im enjoying for other reasons but we can talk about that when you finish it.
    I will be reading The Wind through the Keyhole, technically book 4.5 the last.
    Reason for that is that this book gives a glimpse into Roland's life before the events of The Gunslinger. It's Roland telling his story basically. There's some of that in Wizard and Glass and it's great, but I would rather just go on with the main story first.

I hope you enjoy Wastelands, I found it quite suspenseful and exciting. The bit with the train is amazing.

16. Darth Tater

I've already expressed how much I liked the Dark Tower series but I think you might want to give Erin Morgensterns stand alone Night Circus a shot later. Talk about atmosphere and unforgettable characters. Unreal.

17. Darth Tater

@Alucard

These books aren't exactly fantasy but they combine Shakespeare plays and literally I couldnt catch my breath I was laughing so hard throughout. Fool and Serpent Of Venice by Christopher Moore. It is hard to recommend a funny book because we all laugh at different things.

18. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Finished The Siege of Abythos by Phil Tucker. His Chronicles of the Black Gate is hands down the best self-published fantasy I've ever read, but that would be selling it short. It's also among my favorite series in general. The way Tucker makes me care about his characters is special, and the way he writes action scenes keeps me glued to the pages.

19. Alucard

Thanks Darth, I already got Tom's recomendation. I'm a fan of the tv series The Red Dwarf, so I already know the characters and the setting. Should be a safe bet.

To give a contrasting opinion I absolutely dislike The Night Circus. We read it as part of the book club here on BFB when Danica was setting these up, so there's a few threads dedicated to Night Circus floating around where we all discuss it. Initially I gave it 3 stars but I've changed it to 2 on GR.
    Sometimes when you let the initial feelings about the book settle and simmer for a bit you end up liking or disliking the book more. I ended up disliking it more.
    I wouldn't mind if I never read anything more by Erin Morgenstern. I want to read everything by Stephen King in contrast.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  20. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again

I"m still reading Return of the Crimson Guard. It's going pretty slow for now (page 146/730). The story is decent so far but it all seems a bit messy. The start reminded me a bit of GotM in style; it also jumps around a lot from pov to pov and between different places, with that difference that GotM was more comprehensible for me and had a lot of great action scenes. What also plays along is that it introduces new characters and completely different story lines from MBotF (but the CG has been mentioned as well). I don't have the feeling yet that it's really necessary or a real addition to read the Malazan Empire books in between MBotF.

I finished chapter three last night and it was an improvement as it concentrated mostly on a single set of characters in one place.