May 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, May 1, 2017.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Yeah. That's exactly what I meant about recommending books is a crap shoot. I'm glad you didn't read it based on something I said!

2. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Something happens in Return of the Crimson Guard specifically that is an important event for the overall storyline of the Erikson books. If I hadn't read that one, I would've been left guessing by a few things in the last couple by Erikson. I haven't been all that consistent with reading Esslemont so I don't know about the others (Night of Knives, probably not so necessary), but Return of the Crimson Guard is different.

3. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

Thanks for the information I was going to read it after the 4th book, but I think it makes sense to read it last now. So far these books have been very consistent quality wise, and each book has also had a different feel to them.

I like the fact with the third book we are getting more of a glimpse into his world, which can be a bit odd/strange.
    His world can seem pretty deprived of things, and seems a very harsh environment but it also seemed as if it was a technologically superior world to ours. This leaves me to wonder what went wrong ? How did it happen ?

4. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Yeah, this sense of mystery really appealed to me as well. In my opinion there's just enough revealed by King to make it enticing, but not enough to make the book lose it's mystery.